Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Biden Didn't Run in 2016 for Fear of Clinton's 'Stop at Nothing' Opposition

In his new memoir, former Vice President Joe Biden says he knew he was capable of beating Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, but he decided not to run for fear of a "stop at nothing" campaign by her backers.

"My numbers on trustworthiness, honesty, and empathy were as high as they had ever been. And I was strongest where the most formidable candidate, Hillary Clinton, was weakest: the key swing states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida," Biden writes in "Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose."

He says that as the primary race was gearing up, he was still grieving his son Beau's death. Although Biden does not mention it in his book, his family was also dealing with his other son Hunter's messy divorce.

Biden writes that he feared opposition research from the Clinton camp that would "stop at nothing," and he eventually announced he would not run in October 2015.

"Clinton backers sent the signal that they would not stop at voting records and policies if I did get in the race," Biden reveals

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/11/0...thing-campaign

Do you think Biden could have beaten Hillary, then Trump? I think he had a much better chance. I thank God everyday for Clinton.

Maybe he will try in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    Do you think Biden could have beaten Hillary, then Trump? I think he had a much better chance. I thank God everyday for Clinton.
    I don't think Biden really stood out much, but I think there would have been less of the voting "against" him, as it were. Clinton was a very polarizing figure, as is Trump. I imagine a campaign of Biden vs Jeb Bush would have had the lowest voter turn out in a long while as no one would give a damn...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

It's late 2017 and you're still talking about Hillary.

I think you need to talk to someone. Just a thought.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    In his new memoir, former Vice President Joe Biden says he knew he was capable of beating Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, but he decided not to run for fear of a "stop at nothing" campaign by her backers.

It's funny (and sad) that you can't let Hillary go. Did you hear she lost? It was in the news a bit.

Ironically, I think the best thing that could have happened to the GOP is Hillary winning. The GOP could have continued not passing any legislation and obstructing the president, just as they did the last eight years. It would have been an on-going party. Hell, Fox "News" is calling Hillary president by accident at this point - that's how wet they were for her win.

Now, the GOP are facing themselves in the mirror every day, and seeing their own horror. They can't pass meaningful legislation. Their party leader is literally an idiot. Their own appointed government (Cabinet members) don't know what their own departments do (Perry, Devos). The world is seeing how hollow the GOP really is at this point.

And, as if all that weren't bad enough, Trump is tearing the GOP asunder as the subject of multiple ongoing investigations - from his own party.

And the DNC basically just swept local elections this last week. Go Hillary!
    Last edited by cubby; 2017-11-09 at 10:24 PM.

Those Presidential grapes were sour anyway, said the Biden.

Still obsessed with Clinton.

But yea, basically anyone who wasn't Hillary could have won. Biden is that like that uncle who always says crazy stuff that everyone loves. You really think Trump could beat that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Still obsessed with Clinton.

But yea, basically anyone who wasn't Hillary could have won. Biden is that like that uncle who always says crazy stuff that everyone loves. You really think Trump could beat that?
    Joe Biden is fairly neo-liberal. Thats means all the Glenn Greenwald nihilists and Jill Stein voters would have rejected him. Purely on principle, not because he's a man.

Biden needs to let it go. I like the guy and I think he would've won, but this constant talk about what a superior candidate he would've been is useless and self-serving.

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    Biden needs to let it go. I like the guy and I think he would've won, but this constant talk about what a superior candidate he would've been is useless and self-serving.
    He won't. He and Obama will spend the rest of their lives trying to rewrite history to shift blame from the fact that they were asleep at the wheel when it came to the Russian threat, literally, for years. The Russian reset as criticized as naive when it was launched - and it absolutely was. And sanctions were slow in coming, and never gave Ukraine the weapons they wanted.

The chief criticism of the Obama Administration is unchanging from the first action to the last: they were delusional in believing they get to choose what matters and where their attention needs to lie. In a strange way, their failure to get ontop of the Russian situation (increased aggression by Putin) in 2015 and prepare for an attack in 2016 is a fitting bookend to their administration. What was the first mistake of the Obama Administration? Focusing on healthcare in the first year by conciousely wanting to capitalize on a unified control of government, and under-estimating the depth and breath of the recession. Instead of Healthcare, they should have done a jobs program, and had they done that, they likely would have held the House in 2010 and could have done Healthcare then. Instead, the "fierce urgency of now" had the long tail of the Great Recession linger for years longer than it should have. Administration actions, without a doubt, saved the economy from a second Great Depression - huge accomplishment thre - but Obamacare was poorly timed and politically he paid for it for the rest of his term.

In 2009, Obama and Biden rather talk about Healthcare than jobs and paid for it. In 2016, Obama and Biden rather talk about Climate Change and the Iran deal, and the country paid for it. Remember, it was just 14 months ago the Obama Administration was, hilariously, floating a historic, enormous, unilateral cut in nuclear arms as some kind of ridiculous "legacy" gesture, since another Arms Control treaty with Russia was out of the question.

So Biden will talk about Hillary. He'll talk about the DNC. He'll, and his old boss, will talk about everything except their failure to nip this in the bud - and I don't mean Trump - I mean, Russia. Russia made clear it's intentions in 2013, just as China did in the SCS in 2011. And because both men wanted to deal with things nearer and dearer to them, they did not act. And now that those particular chickens have come home to roost, they shift blame.

It's mind boggling really. America is the most powerful country the world has ever known, and generally speaking has been pretty well lead for most of the past century. The power and performance differential between us and others is mindboggling. And yet, we keep shooting ourselves in the foot because we nationally have the arrogance to think we have some kind of choice in the things that matter. We don't. Nobody is that powerful.

Let's not forget, another Obama and Joe Biden (and Bush, and Bill Clinton) special - that North Korea is now a nuclear power experimenting with solid rocket fueled ballistic missiles because these men decided, over the course of the last 25 years, that other things were more important, despite being warned "this was going to happen", the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    He won't. He and Obama will spend the rest of their lives trying to rewrite history to shift blame from the fact that they were asleep at the wheel when it came to the Russian threat, literally, for years. The Russian reset as criticized as naive when it was launched - and it absolutely was. And sanctions were slow in coming, and never gave Ukraine the weapons they wanted.

The chief criticism of the Obama Administration is unchanging from the first action to the last: they were delusional in believing they get to choose what matters and where their attention needs to lie. In a strange way, their failure to get ontop of the Russian situation (increased aggression by Putin) in 2015 and prepare for an attack in 2016 is a fitting bookend to their administration. What was the first mistake of the Obama Administration? Focusing on healthcare in the first year by conciousely wanting to capitalize on a unified control of government, and under-estimating the depth and breath of the recession. Instead of Healthcare, they should have done a jobs program, and had they done that, they likely would have held the House in 2010 and could have done Healthcare then. Instead, the "fierce urgency of now" had the long tail of the Great Recession linger for years longer than it should have. Administration actions, without a doubt, saved the economy from a second Great Depression - huge accomplishment thre - but Obamacare was poorly timed and politically he paid for it for the rest of his term.

In 2009, Obama and Biden rather talk about Healthcare than jobs and paid for it. In 2016, Obama and Biden rather talk about Climate Change and the Iran deal, and the country paid for it. Remember, it was just 14 months ago the Obama Administration was, hilariously, floating a historic, enormous, unilateral cut in nuclear arms as some kind of ridiculous "legacy" gesture, since another Arms Control treaty with Russia was out of the question.

So Biden will talk about Hillary. He'll talk about the DNC. He'll, and his old boss, will talk about everything except their failure to nip this in the bud - and I don't mean Trump - I mean, Russia. Russia made clear it's intentions in 2013, just as China did in the SCS in 2011. And because both men wanted to deal with things nearer and dearer to them, they did not act. And now that those particular chickens have come home to roost, they shift blame.

It's mind boggling really. America is the most powerful country the world has ever known, and generally speaking has been pretty well lead for most of the past century. The power and performance differential between us and others is mindboggling. And yet, we keep shooting ourselves in the foot because we nationally have the arrogance to think we have some kind of choice in the things that matter. We don't. Nobody is that powerful.

Let's not forget, another Obama and Joe Biden (and Bush, and Bill Clinton) special - that North Korea is now a nuclear power experimenting with solid rocket fueled ballistic missiles because these men decided, over the course of the last 25 years, that other things were more important, despite being warned "this was going to happen", the entire time.
    I want to touch on this. I generally liked Obama's choices. Not all of them, but I didn't think he was a horrid president (I know you'll disagree, just hear me out). I do think he screwed up in some major ways.

Specifically, with Russia as you're saying. I remember back when Romney was relevant leading up to the 2012 election being concerned with Russia and their actions back then. I remember watching the different debates and the news cycle with my mother at the time (had just finished high school). I quite vividly remember getting into arguments with her concerning Russia. She kept making it out like it wasn't a big threat and we should not be worried, and I think it was one of the few instances I really agreed with what Romney was saying. They were taking very aggressive actions that I hadn't really noticed before then that disturbed me. It wasn't that much longer until Crimea happened and it felt like nothing was done against Russia.

That sent a clear message to me. If they're willing to fuck with them and see almost zero repercussions, what's to stop them from doing the same to other nearby regions / countries? To our allies? To us?

I think in regards to Russia, Obama fucked up in a rather huge way. They were not taken seriously, and we're paying the costs for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    He won't. He and Obama will spend the rest of their lives trying to rewrite history to shift blame from the fact that they were asleep at the wheel when it came to the Russian threat, literally, for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I think in regards to Russia, Obama fucked up in a rather huge way. They were not taken seriously, and we're paying the costs for that.
    In defense of the Obama administration; These complaints are largely just hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Russia made it's intentions crystal clear at the very least as far back as Georgia in August 2008 tbh.
    I agree. Though, I don't think at the time I was even aware that had happened. 2008 was my first year of high school.

I am sorry but there is no hindsight needed, all those issues were patently predictable.
    I think you're going off on a bit of a tangent there. It's hindsight to blame the Obama administration for our current Russian woes. Unless you're claiming that you or others saw this coming.

- - - Updated - - -

and that is not a solid foundation to work on a topic as divisive as healthcare.
    Additionally, healthcare was not a very divisive topic. (Or it was in which case it was smart to play that game early when you could realistically make the attempt. It can't be both)

"My numbers on trustworthiness, honesty, and empathy were as high as they had ever been. And I was strongest where the most formidable candidate, Hillary Clinton, was weakest: the key swing states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida," Biden writes in "Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose."

He says that as the primary race was gearing up, he was still grieving his son Beau's death. Although Biden does not mention it in his book, his family was also dealing with his other son Hunter's messy divorce.

Biden writes that he feared opposition research from the Clinton camp that would "stop at nothing," and he eventually announced he would not run in October 2015.

"Clinton backers sent the signal that they would not stop at voting records and policies if I did get in the race," Biden reveals

I think Biden would have had a much better chance. Interested in what dirt he was scared of being released.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I think Biden would have had a much better chance. Interested in what dirt he was scared of being released.
    Or maybe he didn't want his family dragged into it especially considering the death of his children.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    (Some of) It is right in the article, buddy.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Looks like someone has Hilary derangement syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Looks like someone has Hilary derangement syndrome.
    My favorite part of the article...

On "Outnumbered," Marie Harf agreed with Biden's claim that he could have defeated Clinton in the primary.

"I also think he probably could have given Trump much more of a competitive general election race," Harf said. "And I think that he is also looking at 2020."

More competitive than 3 million more votes than Trump, and missing the electoral college win by 80,000 votes. The claim that these shitbags live by every day of Trump trouncing Hillary is indicative of just how stupid people are. As if Trump's presidency itself isn't a daily reminder.

Never change Fox. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    In defense of the Obama administration; These complaints are largely just hindsight.
    Not at all. Obama was warned - and criticized - for these things consistently over this administration.,

I've literally been posting in and creating "Russia threads" since 2012. And concerns go back to 2010. Or even 2008.

Obama knew the threat. He took our relative power and position for granted and did not act on it, in order to act on the things his administration prioritized. His far from the first administration to do that. But it really cost us this time.