Page 50 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well, it's better than the the first season of TNG, so i enjoy it.
    As for it being to dark: It shows us one of the darkest hours of the Federations existence: Their first war against the Klingons. Just like in DS9s war with the Founders we will see over the season if the Federation and Humanity will manage to not only survive but keeping their virtues intact.

Some speculate (black emblems, Designation Number 1031, ...) that it will show us the founding of Section 31. Chances are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post

Some speculate (black emblems, Designation Number 1031, ...) that it will show us the founding of Section 31. Chances are good.
    Section 31 was founded before ENT. And it's pretty clear the "black" and the "1031" are false flags. Since every SF officer has the "black".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    ..did i ONCE say it was in the mirrorverse? No i said it FITS the mirrorverse better.
    It doesn't fit the mirrorverse either for the same reasons I stated.

And this is insanely far from star trek to myself and many other.
    It really isn't. Case in point the most recent episode. The only significant difference that actually matters is that the episodes are mostly serialized. DS9 was also serialized but had many, many single episode stories.

Oh and spore drive all that needs to be said about tech.
    The Spore drive is an experimental piece of technology on one ship that probably won't work and its likely in violation of Federation laws regarding Augmentation. Its no different than the phase device that was used on the Pegasus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    No, I am saying that the whole 5 minutes of star trek research the developers did for this new show probably was from JJ star trek reboots. True fans of star trek use TNG, DS9 and to some extent voyager.
    If you had taken the time, you would have seen that Discovery has numerous nods, easter eggs and links to the other series, especially TOS. I suggest you watch the reviews Trekspertise is doing on YouTube. They did their research. You need to look beyond the Klingons' appearance.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    If you had taken the time, you would have seen that Discovery has numerous nods, easter eggs and links to the other series, especially TOS. I suggest you watch the reviews Trekspertise is doing on YouTube. They did their research. You need to look beyond the Klingons' appearance.
    nods, easter eggs and links mean nothing when the series itself is absolute crap. Honestly, if you think the show is a faithful rendition of the ST universe, you haven't paid much attention to the series. Also, I have no intention to listen to someone elses views on the show, I could care less of what they think. I have seen every star trek episode at least 5 times and I am telling you, this show is by far the worst of the shows. The Klingons appearances is an issue, but nowhere the main issue so I am not sure why you even brought that up.
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2017-11-10 at 10:28 AM.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't set this in the Kelvin (JJ) timeline, or, more to the point why/when they set it in the Prime.

It would eliminate so many of the problems ST fans (inc. myself) have with the series.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't set this in the Kelvin (JJ) timeline, or, more to the point why/when they set it in the Prime.

It would eliminate so many of the problems ST fans (inc. myself) have with the series.
    This was my thinking entirely. I don't think the show is bad, if it was a generic SF show I'd be loving it. But it just doesn't fit into the prime universe. I know people are arguing that it's fine, but clearly there's a lot of us who think it isn't, and the whole problem could have been avoided if, as cyberglum says, it was placed into the JJverse. It could have tied into any upcoming movies they wanted, could have brought in more film fans who perhaps don't watch the TV series.

I'm not sure Star Trek speaks to modern audiences. We live in a world where trust in institutions has fallen apart. We're at or near record low levels of trust in government, religion, scientists, doctors, etc. Trek always seemed built on trust of the Federation and working together which are not themes reflected in modern society.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm not sure Star Trek speaks to modern audiences. We live in a world where trust in institutions has fallen apart. We're at or near record low levels of trust in government, religion, scientists, doctors, etc. Trek always seemed built on trust of the Federation and working together which are not themes reflected in modern society.
    Which if anything means it is needed all the more. Just think about classic trek during times of rampant racism and mcartheism they had s black woman AND a russian as bridge crew members.

It spoke if a better future a better tomorrow abd THAT is what we need more of..Hope

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    nods, easter eggs and links mean nothing when the series itself is absolute crap. Honestly, if you think the show is a faithful rendition of the ST universe, you haven't paid much attention to the series. Also, I have no intention to listen to someone elses views on the show, I could care less of what they think. I have seen every star trek episode at least 5 times and I am telling you, this show is by far the worst of the shows. The Klingons appearances is an issue, but nowhere the main issue so I am not sure why you even brought that up.
    Well, I have watched Star Trek pretty much as much as you did. The tone of Discovery is darker (like DS9 during the Dominion War story arc), but the show is still real Star Trek. TNG was quite different from TOS too. But since you don't want to listen to my opinion about it, I won't bother telling you more.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

The last 2 episodes I feel turned a bit of a corner. I am not going to say they were master pieces or something that has totally won me over either but they did start to feel much more trekish and a lot less.. whatever it was..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight cause they totally are not fighting a war, and being a military ship. Star Fleet has always claimed to be explorers first but when needed fought wars.
    For a ship to actually be a military war vessel, it needs to have been originally built as such with the purpose of being used for combat. Granted, the Discovery was re-purposed to become a secret weapon for the Federation, but it doesn't change that it was and still remains as a science vessel. Also, like Elim Garak said, the Federation, but more specifically Starfleet, is not a military organization. It may have the military capability if the need would arise, but the Federation does not operate as a regular military would, and has its primary focus in diplomacy and exploration.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-11-11 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    , but the show is still real Star Trek.
    Are you ready to prove it?...... tell me what make Discovery a Star Trek show without using names....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Are you ready to prove it?...... tell me what make Discovery a Star Trek show without using names....
    Do the same for DS9 first or TNG or TOS, yeah, do the TOS.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Also, like Elim Garak said, the Federation is not a military organization.
    but hes wrong (once again) starfleet IS militaristic they even have military trials like burnhams....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    but hes wrong (once again) starfleet IS militaristic they even have military trials like burnhams....
    No, I'm right, because I said SF is not a military organisation, not that it doesn't have any militaristic aspects in any of its areas of expertise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Do the same for DS9 first or TNG or TOS, yeah, do the TOS.
    A close to utopian civilization exploring the galaxy in a space ship, and we follow its comand crew interacting and how they encounter new strange things, most of the time they rying to resolve the conflict peaceful but somtime violence is necessary but still within a strikt morale code.

But yes DS9 Dominon War was not very Star Trek, but DS9 premiere was not all out war to the hilt....

10+ Year Old Account
    A close to utopian civilization exploring the galaxy in a space ship, and we follow its comand crew interacting and how they encounter new strange things, most of the time they rying to resolve the conflict peaceful but somtime violence is necessary but still within a strikt morale code.
    Just like Discovery, we just caught them at the conflict part which they couldn't resolve peacefully, but tried, several times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Just like Discovery, we just caught them at the conflict part which they couldn't resolve peacefully, but tried, several times.
    But there is the crux of the all.... the show press Michael is right, shoot first was the right way.... and then it continues "do what nesesery to win the war"

Its Space: Above and Beyond not Star Trek....I did like Space: Above and Beyond, but if they say its coffee I do not want it to taste tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    But there is the crux of the all.... the show press Michael is right, shoot first was the right way....
    It was the right way, but not SF way, you know, strict ethics. Get it? That's as ST as it can get.
    and then it continues "do what nesesery to win the war"
    You cannot win wars by ethics, true. War is unethical in and of itself. Lorca is show as a not so ethical captain. Which is fine for ST.
    Its Space: Above and Beyond not Star Trek....I did like Space: Above and Beyond, but if they say its coffee I do not want it to taste tea.
    No, it's not. That show was about a wartime from the start, it had no background in a form of Space: the original series and Space: enterprise. There were only two species - humans and chigs (or whatever the spelling), well humans came in two forms - naturals and tank-bred but who cares, it was a nice sub-plot, nothing more. And the war was about a colonization dispute. Basically two races fight over the same territory. Oh and it wasn't about a ship it was about the Wildcards - a wing of star-fighters slash specops team.