Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonthor View Post
    I am ashamed i never knew this was a thing until now. /supported.
    That's because it never was a thing until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Step 1: Make a popular website utilising volunteers
    [...]
    Thank fuck ublock is free
    Turns out that running a "popular website" isn't as free as uBlock. Especially when a lot of users block ads. A vicious circle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Turns out that running a "popular website" isn't as free as uBlock. Especially when a lot of users block ads. A vicious circle.
    when your ads have malware you're not getting whitelisted

Deleted
    Now you can pay to get banned by shit heel mods like Endus.

I used uBlock Origin on MMO-C as well but now I don't have to anymore and browsing speed on mobile is much improved as well.

Also, you get to support a site you've been using for nearly 6 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially video adds that blare out your speakers. I never used adblockers until Mmo started allowing video ads that you couldn't pause or squelch. Hope you realize the irony of that.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I might go premium if say... they gave access to the Women's Forum.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    The primary problem with that is, we currently use all of that to distinguish mods from regular users. Making everyone look like a mod seems rather silly.
    IGN allows custom titles with Prime, but they don't allow people to put Mod/Moderator as their title (they could get infracted if abused on multiple occasions). They do have a separate mod badge though but whatever, not a fan of more bloat and they have colored names already. Mods over there have the ability to change titles deemed offensive/inappropriate. I like the title idea overall

IGN also uses the user colors thing but never been a fan. A lot of people use it to just burn peoples eyes, and it conflicts with the green background original poster thing. But its a really popular feature over there of course, but maybe limit the color selection a bit (which is more feasible because theres only one forum theme afaik), ie: red/blue/black/gold etc.

Border makes some icons look ugly, and users can upload avatars with the border in it to fake it anyway, badge is good enough imo

That's just my opinion ofc, purely a subjective cosmetic thing
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2017-11-12 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I might go premium if say... they gave access to the Women's Forum.
    Sorry, no boys allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Sorry, no boys allowed.
    Awwww!

Probably talk about boring stuff anyways like the Kardasians and stuff that's on The View.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    Hey chaud, I saw some ideas being tossed around for Premium. I think a Premium off-topic board could work (could still be viewable by the non-premium to show there's actually activity there)

I've been using IGN, one of the longstanding forums remaining on the net, since 2000 and I paid for Insider back in the day. They had some Insider only boards there and the system mostly worked, but more than one board is pushing it. The quality of posts on Premium Off-topic might be higher because it means less trolls, but then again people might pay 89 cents just to troll, who knows (could limit posting access somehow to post count/join date, but meh). The concern might be that it splits the off-topic community, and that's a valid one, but I'd argue this boards so big and active that a lot of friendly/non-controversial threads just can't stay on the 1st page that normally would on a smaller board. It'd be like a second off-topic board and that might be a boost to traffic/overall board activity. The other downside would be that if it turns out to not be active enough then you'd just have a front-facing board that just makes it look like its not worth paying for that benefit. We also have a Chat Zone/Fun Stuff board for other persistent threads too, so idk, just a thought. I never paid for EJ's Benefactor Bar so idk how busy that was, but that board was hidden. It'd be important to have it readable by the public.

If there's ever a MMOC discord, Premium could also give people a special rank on there, but yea, make it a board right below Off-Topic imo, in the same category, but not a subforum, for more visibility

Overall the idea is cool and the pricing is competitive enough.
    Nah. I wouldn't use it. And I think far less of us would use it than you think.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

This site has been my go to site for many, many years for WoW news. MMOChamp has never let me down for xpac, patch, Blizzcon, comp builds or any other information. Heck, I'm one of ones who enjoy still seeing Ghostcrawler tweets and DLC comics. I run adblock/noscipt because I hate annoying ads/scripts, but I will happily give this premium a try to support this site. Count me in.

So many people put their time (for free) and heart into this site for me to be able to come here and enjoy it, it's nice a way for me to give back without having to put up with those damn annoying/dangerous ads.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2017-11-12 at 05:23 AM.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

I believe in supporting sites I like, but hate ads. Thank you for giving us an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Really? Does every wow fan site need a premium membership?
    No.
    If they would actually deal with the real problem, the nature of the advertisements then adblockers wouldn't be necessary for a good experience.
    Saying that we should pay up to not have a s**t experience is not the way to win people over.

An adblocker provides me with what we should have had in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Woah. When did you stop being a mod... and why?
    Wait......what!?!?!?!?!?!

Whoa. He's been around for has long as I can remember as a mod.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2017-11-12 at 04:28 PM.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Why isn't it as free? Does taking the time to figure out how to block ads on many websites not cost alot of money? I would think it does, since I don't even know how it's done let alone know what tech it would take to do it all and to figure it all out would definitely cost me money. Since I have issues figuring out what is a lie or not, it would most likely cost me alot more money then most people would have to pay because I would prolly wind up paying alot of liars to teach me before ending up paying the people who don't lie to teach me.

- - - Updated - - -

access to the Women's Forum.
    what about the men's forum? access to that would be cool too.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-11-12 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post

what about the men's forum? access to that would be cool too.

No, we don't need you replacing the stuffed raccoon with a house plant and the beer bottle collection with your salt and pepper shaker collection and air freshioners and all that.

-- Capt. Copeland

No, we don't need you replacing the stuffed raccoon with a house plant and the beer bottle collection with your salt and pepper shaker collection and air fresheners and all that.
    But I don't have any of that to replace any of that with.

Deleted
    Lol pay for this forum with mods looking the other way when Skroe makes his constant nation bashing threads incl genocide desires..

How about no?

Mods should apply forum rules to all, hell they break them themselves...

As for ad-free u get that with an app, why the F would anyone pay these guys lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Why isn't it as free? Does taking the time to figure out how to block ads on many websites not cost alot of money? I would think it does, since I don't even know how it's done let alone know what tech it would take to do it all and to figure it all out would definitely cost me money. Since I have issues figuring out what is a lie or not, it would most likely cost me alot more money then most people would have to pay because I would prolly wind up paying alot of liars to teach me before ending up paying the people who don't lie to teach me.
    It's literally clicking an install button these days and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    No.
    If they would actually deal with the real problem, the nature of the advertisements then adblockers wouldn't be necessary for a good experience.
    Saying that we should pay up to not have a s**t experience is not the way to win people over.

An adblocker provides me with what we should have had in the first place.
    It's not as easy as you make it look, I think. There's an ever ongoing battle between adblockers and ads to the point where companies like Instart Logic make good money off sites (like some other WoW site that had quite a bit of controversy regarding this) that use their tech to actively check whether users are using adblockers or not and change site content based on that. It's even gotten to the point where opening dev tools on sites that user their tech would reload the page to better hide what they're doing. It's kind of a shady mess. Stuff like that actively impacts the user experience, even with adblockers.

Sites need to remain profitable for them to stay up (especially when part of a larger conglomerate), sadly it is that clear cut these days. If lots of people block ads and profits drop, sites basically need to switch to other ad providers or even worse use things like the Instart Logic stuff to stay up.

I'm guessing premium is a way to offset the need of having to constantly battle adblockers and to keep profit at a level where things don't get shut down. As such, if enough people buy premium that helps the site as a whole, even those blocking ads/not blocking ads. Sure, there's some perks connected to it but it's mostly about helping the site out.