Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What I see on this forum scares me...reflections from a 1%er

I don't even know where to start. I have yet to see an accurate account of what end game vanilla was really like on these boards and how atrocious it really was. I hate to make another topic saying, "you think you do, but you don't", but it's really freaking true. Do you really want to see Naxx? Answer this set of questions. If you can get by them all, I could definitely brain storm another dozen to see if you could pass the second test.

1. Can you spend your entire day Tuesday farming 2 spawn points in Blasted Lands and 4 spawn points in Felwood for Gromsblood?
    2. Do you have time to level an alt high enough to camp those spawn points?
    3. Do you have 2-3 days a week available to stay up till 3 AM doing Strat live runs for crusader orbs or farming Hearthglen?
    4. Are you willing to go back to wipe on Rag for two hours to help some scrub guild get the kill in exchange for a flask of the titans?
    5. Are you willing to royally screw other people out of loot so that it goes to your own guild during a PUG even if you know it's wrong?
    6. Are you willing to set that PUG up in advance knowing you will screw people?
    7. Are you willing to sit through and watch IRL drama such as your GM who is married having an affair with a fellow officer?
    8. Are you going to be okay with some Australian narcissistic kid ninjaing all the loot on your first Ouro kill and then insta gquit?
    9. Are you going to stay firm when you witness over half of the loot handed out in your guild exit your guild before you even get the shot at it?
    10. Are you going to have the fortitude when your main tank quits to go back and gear a tank in molten core for 2-3 weeks?
    11. Are you going to keep your mouth shut when only 30 people show up for BWL farm night?
    12. Are you going to stay in the group when the GM decides to do a ZG run to gear up new players?
    13. Are you going to be okay when 3 of your members decide to stop raiding once they get the gear they need to PvP?
    14. Oh shit, you accidentally made a racially charged statement in general chat - you just got blacklisted from two of the top guilds.
    15. Do you have a solid 30-40 hours per week to devote to an MMORPG?
    16. Are you willing to sacrifice everything in your life to see some pixels on a screen, hear some random guys scream, bitch and moan? That includes sacrificing performance at work, time with family, socializing, and even taking vacations are out the window.

You get my point....vanilla is savage - a viscous cycle. That 40 man model was broken. If you joined after TBC, you have no idea how brutal it was. It was like a cut throat job with everything you hate about your job now present. You all better pray that they make some quality of life changes. If not, the server will be a ghost town 6 months in. Not my thoughts, just reality.

Sincerely,
    Mesaba, level 60 rogue from Garithos (Blackrock migration server)

Quote Originally Posted by garneroutlaw View Post
    I don't even know where to start. I have yet to see an accurate account of what end game vanilla was really like on these boards and how atrocious it really was. I hate to make another topic saying, "you think you do, but you don't", but it's really freaking true. Do you really want to see Naxx? Answer this set of questions. If you can get by them all, I could definitely brain storm another dozen to see if you could pass the second test.

1. Can you spend your entire day Tuesday farming 2 spawn points in Blasted Lands and 4 spawn points in Felwood for Gromsblood?
    3. Do you have 2-3 days a week available to stay up till 3 AM doing Strat live runs for crusader orbs or farming Hearthglen?
    4. Are you willing to go back to wipe on Rag for two hours to help some scrub guild get the kill in exchange for a flask of the titans?
    5. Are you willing to royally screw other people out of loot so that it goes to your own guild during a PUG even if you know it's wrong?
    7. Are you willing to sit through and watch IRL drama such as your GM who is married having an affair with a fellow officer?
    8. Are you going to be okay with some Australian narcissistic kid ninjaing all the loot on your first Ouro kill and then insta gquit?
    9. Are you going to stay firm when you witness over half of the loot handed out in your guild exit your guild before you even get the shot at it?
    10. Are you going to have the fortitude when your main tank quits to go back and gear a tank in molten core for 2-3 weeks?
    11. Are you going to keep your mouth shut when only 30 people show up for BWL farm night?
    12. Are you going to stay in the group when the GM decides to do a ZG run to gear up new players?
    13. Are you going to be okay when 3 of your members decide to stop raiding once they get the gear they need to PvP?
    14. Oh shit, you accidentally made a racially charged statement in general chat - you just got blacklisted from two of the top guilds.
    16. Are you willing to sacrifice everything in your life to see some pixels on a screen, hear some random guys scream, bitch and moan? That includes sacrificing performance at work, time with family, socializing, and even taking vacations are out the window.

You get my point....vanilla is savage - a viscous cycle. That 40 man model was broken. If you joined after TBC, you have no idea how brutal it was. It was like a cut throat job with everything you hate about your job now present. You all better pray that they make some quality of life changes. If not, the server will be a ghost town 6 months in. Not my thoughts, just reality.

Sincerely,
    17. Are people like you ever going to stop with this shit?

So. Most of your complains are basically about how much you don't like the social aspect of the game. Why are you playing an MMORPG again?

I like this one especially.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's almost certain that there will be some quality of life changes. Depending on what those are, and as long as there isn't a divergence from the philosophy that was behind classic World of Warcraft, I expect it to be extremely successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    No, they're not.

That's the way the world is going now, and the pace is accelerating. People just want others to be as miserable and unhappy as they are; or, when proven wrong, they haven't the emotional maturity to stop themselves lashing out at those who were correct.

Every game has its downsides, but truth be told, I'm actually looking forward to some of the points you've made.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    People just want others to be as miserable and unhappy as they are
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore
    I have an ever-growing canon of misery and negativity.
    No comment, just amused me. :P

Absolutely. The game was a completely different beast for better and for worse. People should know that. It was a big game of sucking up, brown nosing, and playing your cards right. I hated that aspect. I loved raiding and the concept of it, but all the drama and social nonsense really turned me off I'm not going to lie. Good luck Emperor!

It's almost like most people didn't raid for a reason, yet still remember Vanilla fondly. People played for years without setting foot in a raid, this won't be any different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    No comment, just amused me. :P
    Haha, aye.

Those posts are gold, by the way. My finest work. But... We veer off-topic.

Let's get back to classic realm resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    fpbp.

/thread.

No to all of those. I will play classic and join a scrub guild and work on a set of .5 gear and call it a day.

This game is a waste of time. Classic was a waste of time, BC a waste of time, Wrath a waste of time etc etc etc etc, so who cares in which version of the game people wish to waste their time in. Personally I would rather waste it in a BC only server but I will settle for vanilla because that version was far more enjoyable game experience than recent expansions have been.

if you're scared, buy a dog
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

If I ever decide to play on the classic server, I will be leveling 2 characters (maybe 3). One will be a rogue (or maybe a warrior, but probably a rogue). Why? Because fuck you, if I have to play this shit over again, I am going to play one of the most broken classes in the game. The other will be a mage. Why? Because I am going to make a fucking killing selling water, bread and portals. (and because mages were probably the second or third most broken class in the game behind warriors and rogues.)
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-11-12 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    It's almost like most people didn't raid for a reason, yet still remember Vanilla fondly. People played for years without setting foot in a raid, this won't be any different.
    Truly odd since everything in vanilla virtually funneled you into a raid. This is why we saw a huge turnover rate in vanilla from PvPers moving on, etc. I agree, it's almost as if many people chose not to raid due to the social chaos.

Truly odd since everything in vanilla virtually funneled you into a raid. This is why we saw a huge turnover rate in vanilla from PvPers moving on, etc. I agree, it's almost as if many people chose not to raid due to the social chaos.
    That was part of it, the other part was most of the players never made it to max level to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    If I ever decide to play on the classic server, I will be leveling 2 characters (maybe 3). One will be a rogue (or maybe a warrior, but probably a rogue). Why? Because fuck you, if I have to play this shit over again, I am going to play one of the most broken classes in the game. The other will be a mage. Why? Because I am going to make a fucking killing selling water, bread and portals. (and because mages were probably the second or third most broken class in the game behind warriors and rogues.)
    Good luck being useless. I mean really. How many rogues have you seen in raids?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    Good luck being useless. I mean really. How many rogues have you seen in raids?
    Not sure if joking or ?...

also, I REALLY hope that if they do manage to pull this off, they keep all the really really awesome bugs / glitches / stupid shit I remember from vanilla. The rage will be delicious. First thing I am going to do when my mage is high enough level is find 3 or 4 other mages, and chain polymorph bitches until they log off, since Diminishing Returns only applied to YOUR spells, meaning 3 or 4 people rotating polymorphs could keep someone locked down literally forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    That was part of it, the other part was most of the players never made it to max level to begin with.
    Another solid point. Once you hit 60, then what? Go back to a normal retail server? This is my point - the server isn't going to be in good condition once people get to 60 from the initial rush. I clearly remember that time spawn 2 months prior to TBC. Servers were ghost towns, because people had nothing to do once they got their GM weapons.

Sincerely,
    Yes. Yes I would indeed.