Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    You should try vanilla retribution paladin, so you'll understand what "f*cking agony" means.
    I mean... sure you killed things slowly, but you also killed them surely :P

try leveling a warrior or a rogue, anytime you pulled more than 1 mob, you basically had to use your entire kit not to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    try leveling a warrior or a rogue, anytime you pulled more than 1 mob, you basically had to use your entire kit not to die.
    Never played warrior in vanilla, but rogue honestly wasn't as bad as some people picture them.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    I like both, i played through all points of the game and never did i not enjoy myself when i was levelling (Only the 3rd time through does it get grueling). Keep in mind though, the reason Vanilla could make levelling interesting was because of just how many zones you could choose. Don't like Kalimdor? Head to EK!. It was 60 levels spread over many zones, but now a'days that just isn't feasible as expansions will never reach the amount of areas as Vanilla. Funny, i didn't enjoy the quests (most were bore fests) but the whole reason i played WoW was just to see all my favorite WC3 stuff on the ground.

Never played warrior in vanilla, but rogue honestly wasn't as bad as some people picture them.
    Rogue was bad when Vanish would decide to stop working. (Please god i hope that is one bug they do fix)
    Last edited by Redroniksre; 2017-11-18 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should try vanilla retribution paladin, so you'll understand what "f*cking agony" means.
    I might. It is on my short list for Classic (along with Warrior, Mage, and Druid). It'll depend on what my friends/family all want to play though.

having leveled a rogue a warlock and a mage in vanilla (and another rogue consequently on nostalrius) I can safely say it was bad. with mage and warlock I could easily deal with 3-4 mobs, especially after the early levels.

rogue got shit on so much harder. I mean sure it wasnt impossible, and warrior probably is harder. I mean some mobs (like the thorns turtles in shimmering flats) could practically solo you.

10+ Year Old Account
    having leveled a rogue a warlock and a mage in vanilla (and another rogue consequently on nostalrius) I can safely say it was bad. with mage and warlock I could easily deal with 3-4 mobs, especially after the early levels.
    Yes sure, affliction warlock was very powerful in the right hands (especially when fear didn't break at a whim). Good memories of that too
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

To stay abit on topic OP, if I should pick 1 main difference between Vanilla and Current WoW

- It would be the players (community) without any doubt.

Deleted

rogue got shit on so much harder. I mean sure it wasnt impossible, and warrior probably is harder. I mean some mobs (like the thorns turtles in shimmering flats) could practically solo you.
    In my memory of your classes it was:
    Mage: If you can chill it, you can kill it. Some mobs took time, but since blizzard chilled all mobs, you could do big groups early on
    WL: Only levelt with tankpet, but that was fine, had to heal it really often and since WL manausage was so bad, the wand was my best friend
    Rogue: I could kill it in a stunlock? Nice. I couldnt? This fucking missrate combined with the slow energy refill and backstab needing you to be behind the target made questing stressfull and sometimes, the miss lotto just fucked you up so badly, that you had to vanish.

I rarely died on all three, hunter was also easy. I died the most on my warrior, where adding really hurt. But the worst questing experience was priest. All that slow kill wanding. Priests did really no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vluffyvlaush View Post
    Mage: If you can chill it, you can kill it. Some mobs took time, but since blizzard chilled all mobs, you could do big groups early on
    WL: Only levelt with tankpet, but that was fine, had to heal it really often and since WL manausage was so bad, the wand was my best friend
    Rogue: I could kill it in a stunlock? Nice. I couldnt? This fucking missrate combined with the slow energy refill and backstab needing you to be behind the target made questing stressfull and sometimes, the miss lotto just fucked you up so badly, that you had to vanish.

I rarely died on all three, hunter was also easy. I died the most on my warrior, where adding really hurt. But the worst questing experience was priest. All that slow kill wanding. Priests did really no damage.
    priest was only crappy until you got mindflay
    then you shit on mobs
    and especially after level 40 with shadowform.

I mean... sure you killed things slowly, but you also killed them surely :P

At early levels warrior had hard times with multiple mobs, but around lvl 30 when you had access to sweeping strikes + whirlwind/cleave you could pull 2-3 mobs easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    Vanilla was about the journey
    This is all wrong. Vanilla was really about clams not stacking. Anyone who says otherwise is a loser poseur.

10+ Year Old Account
    what were end raids doing in vanilla then ? u talk like guilds didn't break - in my case twice - because fail raiding and most geared leave guild, i even left wow (and forgot my account, don't even remember its name now) because of that
    in fact guild 'cannibalism' was quite common in older times
    the main difference is community, and if u claim that no one cared about raiding in vanilla wow i question which server u were in, because i do remember also that game was very different from server to server (I was in stormscale alliance back in vanilla)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    With good gear, normal mobs are no threat in any expansion.

But hell even with 755 gear at the start of the expansion, I would think twice to not overpull
    Did u try do the warlock doomguard quest in vanilla wow ? Or even the gong chain quests in Hinterlands, regardless of ur lvl solo ?
    Heck Kroshius beat the sh8t out of me at lvl 54, and he was a lvl 50 elite, had to make a group for him
    I still even today remember the best leather feet drop for druid, the t3, it gave +9spirit +11intellect (or reverse), that was 'best' gear, the difference between naked and full geared wasn't over 90% like today
    However u get priest buff, paladin buff, scroll buff, druid buff, potion buff, another potion, elixir, flasks, pretty much everything gave u buff, so raid had far more power than being solo
    Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    This.

Blizzard turned WoW into a Diablo clone with raiding.
    - You are the hero
    - You are nearly invincible to normal mobs
    - Loot stats are RNG
    - Different difficulty grinds
    - Cut scene story telling

If I wanted to play Diablo, I would play Diablo.

I want an MMORPG
    - You are a pleb looking to make your mark
    - The world is dangerous
    - Loot tables are set. Once you get BiS, you have BiS.
    - One difficulty level, with increasingly harder bosses and raid tiers.
    - Gameplay tells the story. Players make their own stories via machinima and youtube.
    Pretty accurate, wow doesn't feel like RPG anymore at all, I feel more RPG from warcraft books than wow now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vluffyvlaush View Post
    Elementals were immune to poison and bleeding, try to kill them as rogue or feral druid, there was also another mob type that was immune to poison: mechanical, but they aren't quite common after leaving Westfall
    Even with stun, u didn't have dmg to kill them
    priest was only crappy until you got mindflay
    then you shit on mobs
    and especially after level 40 with shadowform.
    what priest u talking about? mobs make mindflay ticks once at best, shield is removed in 1 hit since u were cloth user with crap armor, priests were competing with warriors as worst class to lvl, warrior for no healing and priest for no surviving, to add insult to injury until patch 2.3 or something touch of weakness interrupt ur casting if any mob hit u
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    This.

Blizzard turned WoW into a Diablo clone with raiding.
    - You are the hero
    - You are nearly invincible to normal mobs
    - Loot stats are RNG
    - Different difficulty grinds
    - Cut scene story telling

If I wanted to play Diablo, I would play Diablo.

I want an MMORPG
    - You are a pleb looking to make your mark
    - The world is dangerous
    - Loot tables are set. Once you get BiS, you have BiS.
    - One difficulty level, with increasingly harder bosses and raid tiers.
    - Gameplay tells the story. Players make their own stories via machinima and youtube.
    The only thing ever challenging when leveling up in vanilla was the rare elite npcs that were part of group quests. Everything else is just like today if you're in leveling up gear and not decked out in raiding gear or heirlooms. It's a choice to use those things instead of doing it the hard way.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

15+ Year Old Account
    ??

Raiding is a new journey every tier. If you don't raid at whatever difficulty is challenging for you, you're playing the wrong gear.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post

what priest u talking about? mobs make mindflay ticks once at best, shield is removed in 1 hit since u were cloth user with crap armor, priests were competing with warriors as worst class to lvl, warrior for no healing and priest for no surviving, to add insult to injury until patch 2.3 or something touch of weakness interrupt ur casting if any mob hit u
    inner fire pushed your armor above leather levels.
    shield was fine, and mind flay slowed their movement speed, by the time they got to you they were low enough to die to a mind blast.
    and you also didnt have many mana problems thanks to that spirit tap.

shadow form also gave reduced damage taken

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    The only thing ever challenging when leveling up in vanilla was the rare elite npcs that were part of group quests. Everything else is just like today if you're in leveling up gear and not decked out in raiding gear or heirlooms. It's a choice to use those things instead of doing it the hard way.
    You are confusing challenging with dangerous.
    I specifically used the word dangerous.

As a new melee character in vanilla, you can't say the first Level 1 Dire Wolf didn't take half your health bar.
    As you skilled up and learned your class you could take on additional mobs or even an elite. But the danger was still there.

This is my first kill on a brand new character in Legion.
    Health bar at 95% or more.
    https://i.imgur.com/eQFwLLC.jpg
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

If you fail to appreciate the journey in iterations past Classic, that's your problem.

The game is just as much about a Journey these days, the difference is that no iteration beyond Classic has had 60 levels worth of zones and shitty tuning + entirely new players come into the game in droves going around being tards thinking some "grand design" made them behave in such a way.

When I was new, I stopped for 3 days (!) doing nothing but killing bird women in Northern Barrens because they gave "so much money!!"... That was part of my journey back then, but it wasn't through some grand design and zones having areas for players to explore is not exactly a thing of the past.

Part of my Journey in Legion, was stopping and appreciating scenery, discovering hidden areas, following and caring about the Suramar storyline and seeing the first ever city in this game that truly felt like a city, with areas that were hella scary during those first months of playing the game. But yeah, there's a design preventing "the journey" in place...

Main difference between Classic and Current WoW? The heaps of fanatics lamenting the past.
    If it ain't "Muh Vanilla", it's simply lacking to some. And that's fine, those people will soon have their place where they can have a "journey" over and over and over in content forever frozen in time. ^^
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-11-18 at 11:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    When ever I'm playing a RPG its all about the journey.

That is something else I enjoyed about the game. There was actual FEAR of death from overpulling or taking a shortcut that lead you to a pack of mobs. In today's wow I pull one get t to 75% then pull another get it to 75% and pull another get it to 75% then just blow through them all and be at 45-50% HP

When there is no fear of death...... then what is the point of the fight?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    That is something else I enjoyed about the game. There was actual FEAR of death from overpulling or taking a shortcut that lead you to a pack of mobs. In today's wow I pull one get t to 75% then pull another get it to 75% and pull another get it to 75% then just blow through them all and be at 45-50% HP

When there is no fear of death...... then what is the point of the fight?
    This wouldn't be so pronounced without the underlying issue of catch-up mechanics shoehorning players into the newest tier with "welfare epics" all over the place. For better or worse... Scaling mobs helped a bit but it's not really cutting it, balance is all over the place.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.