Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Gankers will need to find another game. That's probably the best feature of BfA.

Deleted
    Every expansion we hope for good pvp and every expansion it seems to get worse (though WOTLK and Mist of pandaria had some good stuff in there, except the very stupid amount of panic buttons in MOP).

I don't know if this pvp tag will make world pvp more alive, there aren't that many people doing wpvp anyway because blizzard doesn't implement anything to support it. They don't let you capture territories (and I mean real zones not a stupid tower), they don't implement castle sieges, they don't add rewards for wpvp, they don't even make the effort to implement something like the Stranglethorn arena with the daily treasure back in vanilla.

They barely care about instanced pvp so wpvp is still a black hole in their design philosophy.

You can't expect anything great outside of raids from the WoW development team anymore. They can't even reproduce something like Alterac Valley with their open areas pvp zones (Ashran being the worst trash ever)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's funny how naive the WoW community is. Blizzard just killed World PvP while convincing the community that they are "improving" it. It's hilarious.

I think you're missing the facts. World pvp has been killed since the very first expansion with the adding of

-Flying mounts making players easily avoid each other (and of course even in 2017 we still have no flying combat system gg blizz)
    -Arenas with flashy gear shifting all the attention away from world pvp because it has no carrots so 90% of the playerbase will run to where the carrot is no matter how bad the content is.

And since BC they never implement anything to support world pvp aside from some half assed pvp "areas" which are basically a few towers with no incentive at all

Quote Originally Posted by Loxotron View Post
    And in BFA he can get killed once (assume he was on pvp shard farming at location), so he can now go for the pass of the less resistance (which majority of human being usually do) and teleport to the city and go for PVE shard to continue his farm... Do you see the disconnect in wpvp and this new system? Either the incentitive to farm on pvp shard should be that big to be alive or it will be abandoned completely, and guess which pass the blizzard usually takes? So the guys that see that they pretty have much fininshed the wpvp are frankly on point.
    You mean that ... *gasp* ... griefing will no longer be an option?
    I fail to see how that's a problem for wpvp. If you can't have fun w/o griefing other people, that's your problem, not the game's.

The only people who calls that as improve for wpvp are the pve players on pvp servers that want to farm in carebear mode, thats it. And yes as one guy has described above they can pretty much abandon wpvp fixes at all and players will naturally stick to pve shards and they will be the dominant one with ghost town on pvp shards.
    That only means that the current system which locks you on a pvp or pve server doesn't work, and it's past time they fixed that.

Now the real smart thing to do for Blizzard would be to add incentives to wpvp, like maybe putting a kind of control point in the world and giving out a cosmetic reward to the faction who holds it longest.

I can on agree on that, legion just hit the rock bottom so it is hard to make it worse but i was referreing mostly to a good days of the game, and at those times this system would be a total disaster. Basically the main point here will be the incentitive that blizzard will put for playing on pvp shards, but they couldn't make it even in prime days of wow (goes back to vanilla towers in plaguelands and silithus that were added in late patches and were a useless garbage) so very low chance of happening now.
    Blizzard were always so afraid to add something meaningful, probably because of pve carebears that will whine on forum afterwards.

What exactly is the reward for turning on Pvp besides fighting other players? I heard there was some sort of bonus.

From the interviews that i saw, they haven't decided yet about the exact rewards (i am really afraid it will be something super minor that only will cover the inconvenience from the slow down that pvp can deliver).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    8.0 can't come soon enough. Once you turn on PvP in a major city you will experience World PvP like never before. Blizzard puts everyone who has PvP enabled on the same server. It's going to be glorious. With level 35 you will go to Stranglethorn Vale and on every crossroad, in every cave and in the tunnel to Booty Bay there will be someone of the opposite faction to fight. They said they would put players on a server based on their level. So there will be 100-200 people in your zone that are in your level range and all of them love PvP. It is going to be absolutely fantastic.

I'm sure Blizzard will enable your PvP talents once you turn on PvP in a city. So leveling, questing, grinding, farming will be much more fun with your PvP talents enabled...but that troll rogue will be waiting in the shadows to spice it all up. it is going to be epic.

You have PvP enabled? You will have access to tons of PvP World Quests with great rewards in 8.0.

Just the thought of seeing 20-30 level 35 players battle it out in the Gurubashi Arena gives me the chills. No level 120 players to interfere and ruin the fun. Just good old World PvP in Battle for Azeroth.

Thank you Blizzard!
    In reality there will be 1-2 players with pvp enabled while others have it disabled as they powerlevel to 120.
    Such glory

With the xpac world PvP will be officially dead. However we do get a world battlegrounds. You just go to a city and que in to join the BG, then when you’re done with your objectives, you just que out and can be safe on a carebear server again. Make no mistake, world PvP is officially dead with this change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Also another problem i might see happening that you will meet only specific fotm classes in wpvp fighting each other which would look kind of silly... Imagine you are playing mmorpg on pvp shard and all the players you see are like 2-3 specs maximum... immersive!

Deleted
    I can on agree on that, legion just hit the rock bottom so it is hard to make it worse but i was referreing mostly to a good days of the game, and at those times this system would be a total disaster. Basically the main point here will be the incentitive that blizzard will put for playing on pvp shards, but they couldn't make it even in prime days of wow (goes back to vanilla towers in plaguelands and silithus that were added in late patches and were a useless garbage) so very low chance of happening now.
    Blizzard were always so afraid to add something meaningful, probably because of pve carebears that will whine on forum afterwards.
    The game is super heavily tailored for pve players, thats why they don't bother to do anything that would distract them from their little raiding routine. When was the last time we saw a faction attack a capital with more than 10 people?They keep making wpvp less and less rewarding, increasing broken npcs in capitals that are basically world bosses protecting the city, they don't let rogues infiltrate cities either because you don't want to break the routine of paladin Human lvl 110 slacking all day at the auction house. They just want to pack pvp players in some shit area (either through shit like Ashran or now pvp shards) and let the "real" customers in their view which are the pve dungeoneers and raiders do their thing with no interference
    Last edited by mmocc90fcf6aa1; 2017-11-20 at 11:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    With the xpac world PvP will be officially dead. However we do get a world battlegrounds. You just go to a city and que in to join the BG, then when you’re done with your objectives, you just que out and can be safe on a carebear server again. Make no mistake, world PvP is officially dead with this change.
    Every time I read these "sky is falling, wPVP confirmed DEAD!!!1" posts I keep wondering... will *you* turn off your pvp toggle and become a carebear? Yes? No? If no, and if indeed each person whining about it also does not, then absofuckinglutely nothing changes for you, except maybe - if Blizz are good with implementing sharding - you'll have more targets to fight, because you'll get put into a somewhat balanced shard, instead of the usual 9:1 bullshit prevalent on most pvp realms.

Ganking has long lost its value as a tool for provoking enemy to come fight you in force, because nobody gives a shit about lowbie noobs getting ganked anymore. The last good wPvP fights like that were - at least for me - Allies coming to fuck up Crossroads pre-Cata, or showing up at Org gates *in* Cata. But that was years ago. Nowadays nobody gives two shits about Crossroads. So nothing of value is lost by people being able to switch to pve on their lowbie chars.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2017-11-20 at 11:08 AM.

Deleted
    Thats also why the magnificent lichking opening events with ghouls was removed. Because the pve crowd couldn't stand having something in the WORLD of warcraft actually affecting them. They play an MMORPG which is supposed to be a WORLD with many things going on but they want it to have everything in their control, they can't have something bothering them while afking in capital cities or afking in front of a dungeon door.

Deleted
    I'm farming Talon Vengence reputation now. I have to say people have a problem if someone kills them on PvP realm in PvP zone on PvP world quest (Bareback, Murlocks, etc.). So many whispers what a dick I am for killing them. I fear there will not be many people with PvP toggle on.

Deleted
    Blizzard also stateded that they couldn't make W-PvP objects the way they wanted because they wouldn't work on static PvE Servers. But with the new systems there are no PvE Servers. So if player want W-PvP rewards they need to actively turn on PvP from which they can opt out after they had enough (either to much of a hassle and/or all reward/ reward milestones collected). This opens the possibility for Blizzard to bring in something more meaningful to W-PvP since everybody can participate if they want, even from former PvE servers but they don't have to transfer to a PvP server for this.

It is actually less of a "carebaer cry on forums" issue and more of a cost<>return issue. Look at raids, that is why LFR came, to justify the extreme costly development of raids and why only a small fraction of the playerbase gets to see them while being current gameplay. In order to do that they had to make sure everybody can visit the raid content, and thanks to LFR way more people can and do see the actual raid content (not in all glory, mechanics and difficulty though).

So besides that a PvP player should have PvP activated by default simply because he enjoys PvP, Blizz is then (with the new system) able to bring in more PvP centric WQs and objectives that actually offer something in return. Not only items but think about PvP factions that you need reputations for. If you don't want to do W-pvp you don't have to bother with all that. But if you want the rewards, you actually have to activate PvP and jump right into battle with other players.

It is not that hard of a concept actually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    I'm farming Talon Vengence reputation now. I have to say people have a problem if someone kills them on PvP realm in PvP zone on PvP world quest (Bareback, Murlocks, etc.). So many whispers what a dick I am for killing them. I fear there will not be many people with PvP toggle on.
    If that is the case, W-PvP is just no that attractive to people then. But i think there will be a lot more people dipping their tows in PvP waters.... and probably getting all wet. But then they can opt out again. One issue is that this game is very old for an MMO that size, and people did make their choice for PvP servers when most things have been almost leveled. Now one sided factions, Chars with stats and stat difference that all is way out of proportion. That change can effectively counter all that without having to restrict people in their freedom of choice. So instead of a lot of "you can't be horde on this server"s and "you can't transfer Alliance over to that server, can't create a Alliance character there"s you get to stay where you are with all your friends and can enjoy all the content you want. Even if you are basically a PvE player that just wants to try out/do some PvP in the world from time to time. And to try out W-PvP is not like a BG or arena. It heavily relies on incentives and rewards, but is not exclusively tied to them.

My prediction is that we'll probably see a lot more W-PvP then we do now. Well.... probably a lot less ganking (10 to 1, lvl 120 against lvl 20) but i see no loss there. Those things can vanish and never return and i wouldn't miss a thing.

As far as we know, bonus for turning pvp on will be "worth it". Aloso they said they like idea of world q etc. So as far as i can imagine we will get bonus rep or higher chance for some items to drop witch we will need for war fronts etc. I just cant imagine it would be anything significant after a week or two on max lv, just like it is now... after a day or couple of hours on max lv there is rly no need for you to do any of the world q appart from emmisary if you are still hunting for legendaries.

so yea for first weeks MABY there will be SOME ppl with pvp turned on, mostly fotm classes but after couple of weeks noone willl gives a sh** about world q anymore again or farming rep etc, so if you will go out to farm flowers or skin some mobs why on earth would you turn it on just to get ganked by some bored ppl when you have limited time to play.

unsless blizz will make extras for heaving pvp on extreamly good there will be very few ppl turning it on, it comes down to simple math. You have 3 hours to play today, you need to do your dailys, maby random hc or some m+ and you want to farm some flowers for flasks etc if you have aloooot of time then maby you wont care and enjoy getting killed over and over again when you will try to gather what you need, with limited time there is just no reason to do that.

The concept is not that easy as you describe, since you need to have incentitives for players to play all the content in the world on pvp shards and not some tiny fraction of it (pvp wq's for example), and if this wpvp incentive will actually cross the interest of pve players as well it can cause a shitstorm which blizzard don't need.
    If the incentive won't be big enough to interest all the players then it will be abandoned pretty quick, and my view of enjoyment actually consist of someones failure, in pvp can't be all winners, there are both sides, and if you protect one side how can the other receive the fun?
    The best moments comes when the player was actually not prepared for pvp and it wasn't his goal at, but it happened and he needs to overcome it to be able to complete his main goal, it is the satisafying experience that we are playing for in mmorpg in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Every time I read these "sky is falling, wPVP confirmed DEAD!!!1" posts I keep wondering... will *you* turn off your pvp toggle and become a carebear? Yes? No? If no, and if indeed each person whining about it also does not, then absofuckinglutely nothing changes for you, except maybe - if Blizz are good with implementing sharding - you'll have more targets to fight, because you'll get put into a somewhat balanced shard, instead of the usual 9:1 bullshit prevalent on most pvp realms.

Ganking has long lost its value as a tool for provoking enemy to come fight you in force, because nobody gives a shit about lowbie noobs getting ganked anymore. The last good wPvP fights like that were - at least for me - Allies coming to fuck up Crossroads pre-Cata, or showing up at Org gates *in* Cata. But that was years ago. Nowadays nobody gives two shits about Crossroads. So nothing of value is lost by people being able to switch to pve on their lowbie chars.
    For Then record, I don’t attack low lvl players, he’ll i barely attack any alliance players unless I’m in a mood or some one pissed me off and ran away so I take it out on another player. That’s what it meant to me to be world PvP server, I can chose to attack the guy questing, or I can chose not to. However in BGs I will always attack because I know that person will always attack me too. You are there solely to kill other players. This is what world PvP is going to be reduced to. No more of the wondering, should I attack him? Is he looking for trouble? Can I just complete my quest and let him complete his? So it’s not a question of will I toggle on or off the flag, the experience that of living in a PvP server is gone with this change. I might have well stayed on stormrage and just que for the battlegrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Deleted
    The concept is not that easy as you describe, since you need to have incentitives for players to play all the content in the world on pvp shards and not some tiny fraction of it (pvp wq's for example), and if this wpvp incentive will actually cross the interest of pve players as well it can cause a shitstorm which blizzard don't need.
    Just a shitstorm isn't the problem and has never been. Only when people complaining let actions follow their words. For example: hit the bottomline with sub cancelation.

If the incentive won't be big enough to interest all the players then it will be abandoned pretty quick, and my view of enjoyment actually consist of someones failure, in pvp can't be all winners, there are both sides, and if you protect one side how can the other receive the fun?
    Are you trying to tell me that you need people that actually don't want to fight? In that case, good that this been taken away. PvP should be fun for everyone, and not fun for some on the expense of others. Sure if some win, some must lose. But in a ideal system you lose as much as you win. That is actually what they are trying to achieve with the new system since on most servers/most battlegroups it is very heavily leaning towards one side.

The best moments comes when the player was actually not prepared for pvp and it wasn't his goal at, but it happened and he needs to overcome it to be able to complete his main goal, it is the satisafying experience that we are playing for in mmorpg in the first place.
    Highly subjective. I can imagine that it is not fun for someone playing on the faction that is constantly outnumbered 10 to 1 or more. there is nothing they can overcome, nothing to achieve there. But hey if that is what motivates you, just turn on your PvP and never switch it off. For those people nothing changes. It is not like you activate PvP and as soon as someone is in your Area you get a message "enemy player engaging" across the whole screen pointing in the right direction. If you have PvP activated you'll probably still get jumped by players/group of players. And if you jump someone he might not be expecting you but chances are high that this player did activate PvP on purpose and knows how to fight back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    For Then record, I don’t attack low lvl players, he’ll i barely attack any alliance players unless I’m in a mood or some one pissed me off and ran away so I take it out on another player. That’s what it meant to me to be world PvP server, I can chose to attack the guy questing, or I can chose not to. However in BGs I will always attack because I know that person will always attack me too. You are there solely to kill other players. This is what world PvP is going to be reduced to. No more of the wondering, should I attack him? Is he looking for trouble? Can I just complete my quest and let him complete his? So it’s not a question of will I toggle on or off the flag, the experience that of living in a PvP server is gone with this change. I might have well stayed on stormrage and just que for the battlegrounds.
    Erm.... no, why should it be the same? There will still be people questing out in the world. And you still can chose not to attack someone, just like someone can chose not to attack you.... and wait for the right moment to jump your back. Which is pretty much what a PvP server is now.
    So no. The new slider is nothing like "queing for Battlegrounds". It is more like a server transfer, just you can decide on a daily basis what you want to play.

It is pretty much doomsaying to say "it will be reduced to a BG" since you have no information how it WILL be, and you can't possibly know ALL players (active and returning players) to know what they want or how they will use the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Blezius View Post
    Pvp templates won't be enabled. everyone will one shot each other.
    Yes Wpvp will be unbalanced. But not as much as now I think. DMG Numbers compared to the healthpool will be a more stable after the squish.

And let's not kid ourselves. Even on a PvP-Server, people ran past by you while leveling. No one has the drive to engage pvp anymore. So a change to Wpvp can only improve it. Because right now, it's as dead as it can be. Either way it stays dead or people turn on pvp to test themselves and others.