Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a Netflix Canada user once the Marvel shows go bye bye I'll probably end up dropping Netflix. There just isn't enough there to justify even 14$ a month.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Isn't Blight just a movie? I agree however with Marvel Shows and Stranger Things however my issue with Netflix is that beyond those the UK version has nothing else for me. I have Sky and Amazon Prime so in comparison Netflix is poor, especially the movies since I have more in my DVD collection so basically I end up being unsubbed than subbed
    I work for Sky and get the full bundle for free if i wanted it.

I work on the phones and talk to a lot of customers about what they watch and making sure the package is right for them. Netflix always comes into the conversation because its a cheap alternative to paying so much for Sky.

Netflix gives you boxsets and films for just over a tenner. Same thing on Sky costs £48 a month.

After using Netflix non stop during my free month, i am never getting rid of it. Ive even stopped pirating as much because of it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Pirating shit is for scumbags. If you can't afford it or aren't willing to pay or at the very least support something by increasing their ad revenue then don't fucking watch it.

You're a bane on society.
    Again, you should have watched the video. There's a lot of people who won't pay due to moral reasons. They aren't ashamed for pirating. Nothing anyone does will stop them. The industry should be trying to get them to switch by offering something that piracy doesn't. But with price increases and exclusive content, this only makes it harder for pirates to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Netflix needs better shows before they do this
    Netflix has great shows.

Deleted
    Netflix Netherlands has mostly old crap on it, and even the series are some seasons behind.
    I already unsubbed due to that, and the price increase isnt gonna help me thinking about resubbing.

Maybe it's better in other countries, but if they don't add better content here, i'm afraid it's gonna die a slow death, at least out here.

Honestly Netflix's quality justifies the cost. Lately they've been making great material with their netflix originals and have really delivered well on their content. I don't mind paying a few more bucks a month for the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Again, you should have watched the video. There's a lot of people who won't pay due to moral reasons. They aren't ashamed for pirating. Nothing anyone does will stop them. The industry should be trying to get them to switch by offering something that piracy doesn't. But with price increases and exclusive content, this only makes it harder for pirates to pay.
    How do you offer something better then free? That is what you are asking for in the end, You want a legit legal free service and will pirate unless you get it.

Lets call a spade a spade already, You want free shit.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I tried them twice (netflix). They didnt not have enough good things to watch to make it worth my while.

Soon people will be begging for the old days of Netflix and Hulu. For each studio, each network, each entertainment company will have its own streaming service! And sure you can start out just getting them one by one. But soon you'll find that they are bundling themselves. Streaming Bundles, for a cheaper price! You like cheaper don't you? Oh what is that? Your show is part of a bundle that you won't end up watching any of those shows? Ahhhh too bad, because cable is back. Fuck you and your choices, now pay that $40 bucks a month with thirty variations of the same sports channel, twenty fucking cooking, just for the Disney streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    You make something that's easy to use, user friendly, affordable, and has good content.

You make Netflix basically. Turning on Netflix and clicking the office is way easier than pirating the office.
    And many services already do that, They just cost money to use.

Hulu, HBOGO/NOW,Netflix and hell even amazon prime is user friendly. The only difference between them and pirating is that pirating is free.

Hell there is even cable services like PSVUE that is user friendly and no bullshit attached.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Netflix Canada is sooooooooo bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Absolutely it changes what companies do. This forum itself opened a classic WoW section just for the upcoming Vanilla server. That didn't happen in a vacuum, that happened because people were fleeing to private servers.
    While true, those are instances where it was affecting them directly. If netflix can't get something licensed, pirating them won't make it happen faster. It's not Netflix's fault or control whether or not another company licenses the work. If a store doesn't have something, stealing stuff from other stores isn't going to help that store get it in stock.

At that point you should just stick to cable TV.
    Except cable TV is awful. It usually doesn't have -anything- people want, except maybe sports.

But I'm willing to believe that people have one streaming service they pay for, and pirate everything else. It's just not cost effective to do otherwise.
    Thats.. probably true. At that point it's a case of "I'm willing to pay X money to get 80% of what I want to watch... But not willing to pay twice that (two subs) to get that extra 20%"

Realistically, other services (Hulu, AMazon, etc) could look into offering a la carte services, like $1-2 a month for a particular show. But pirating them as a 'call to action' isn't going to do anything, because it's not really their fault. If they had a choice in the matter, they'd add it. But they either can't, or it isn't profitable enough. I'm not going to sell you something for $4 when it costs me $5 just to make you happy.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Net Neutrality is mostly about Netflix and to a lesser extent YouTube, both take up about 50% of all internet Traffic these days.

If net neutrality disappears your Netflix bill will go up by $5 if not more. That's my guess.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    They can charge me that extra dollar when they start letting me watch shows they produce and people in other countries get to watch freely, yet I'm required to sign up for another half-assed streaming network just to get access to it. (Looking at you, STiscovery)

I wish the streaming people would just stick to streaming and licensing other people's content, and the content people would just stick to making content and licensing it out.

I would gladly pay $50/month for Netflix if it had all the HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney, etc content on it.

I will not manage 4 or 5 subscriptions at 10-15 each to get all the same content.

A big part of this is usability and content overlap - much of what I would watch on Amazon Prime Video is also available on Netflix. I also don't want to log in to 4 or 5 services before I remember which one has season 45 of Sesame Street (and Sesame Street in particular is terrible, its licenses are owned by at least 3 or 4 different companies, resulting in some episodes on HBO only, some on Hulu, some on cable OnDemand, etc. Really annoying when your kid wants to see a specific episode.).

I also don't want to deal with one company's terrible streaming app when the other ones work much, MUCH better.

I have half a mind to just pirate everything I have legally paid for over the years, set up a Plex server, and cancel everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Didn't they just go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Didn't they just go up?
    A couple years ago yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Netflix needs better shows before they do this
    Agreed.

Even though I dont care about the price, they should offer more content.

They are asking the same price in Turkey with fraction of the content. Already-aired seasons are arriving late, content is lacking as hell. I am warezing their shit as much as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    How do you offer something better then free? That is what you are asking for in the end, You want a legit legal free service and will pirate unless you get it.
    First off, streaming services need to match what pirate sites already offer for free. Netflix for example needs to dump silverlight cause it limits what devices can use Netflix. While they're at it, they need to allow 4k on any device capable of it. You need a specific set of requirements to do 4k like HDCP 2.2. Even 1080p can only be done on IE.

Another thing pirate streaming sites do that Netflix doesn't is allow you to download a copy of the movie. This is a pretty big deal as some people may want a copy to keep. There are already plenty of ways to get a copy of any movie or show illegally, so why stop here? You might as well offer it as a feature.

Also get as much content as possible. Netflix's solution is to have a lot of original content, which doesn't always fly for people. I personally don't care for a single bit of Netflix's original content personally, as I'm very picky about what I watch. Have something good not mediocre. But since that's hard to do, just get everything. Go to court with Disney and fight for the right to license their content. Claim it's anti competitive or whatever. Because again, this is not a problem with pirate streaming sites. Get anime, get the latest release of Dragon Ball Super before the pirates get it.

Do all this and have a reliable service and nobody minds paying $9 a month for your service. But at the same time, keep innovating cause Amazon and Google can also offer this with even better services.
    Lets call a spade a spade already, You want free shit.
    Unfortunately, I have Netflix. Not by choice really, as the family really wants it. And I use Linux on like 99% of my machines, so I know very well of Netflix's shortcomings. Like how my Raspberry Pi 3 can't play back Netflix due to silverlight. I use Ubuntu Mate for it, and there is a particular version of Chrome that allows Netflix to work on the rPi3, but it rarely works. Also, one day a movie or show will be there and the other day it isn't. Netflix is extremely unreliable as a service.

Keep in mind that I do pirate, because anything I want that Netflix doesn't have I will download it or search on YouTube. You'd be surprised how much pirated content exists on YouTube. This is the direction I think many people will go as well. They'll choose one legit streaming service, and supplement all the missing content through piracy. Because like my family, people are too lazy to sit down and learn how to use Kodi, Plex, or EMBY.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While true, those are instances where it was affecting them directly. If netflix can't get something licensed, pirating them won't make it happen faster. It's not Netflix's fault or control whether or not another company licenses the work. If a store doesn't have something, stealing stuff from other stores isn't going to help that store get it in stock.
    What Netflix should do is take them to court. They can argue it's anti competitive. The alternative is to watch their content shrink, while they go from being a content distributor to content creator. While I'm all for more content, I've seen what Netflix has for original content. The Bill Nye show was particularly anti-white. The Dear White People is.... stupid.
    Except cable TV is awful. It usually doesn't have -anything- people want, except maybe sports.
    If you have to buy HBOgO, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and etc to get what cable tv has, then why dump cable? I'm not saying that cable tv is good, but you aren't exactly getting things cheaper when everyone is going to have their own streaming service. That new Star Trek Discovery required a subscription to CBS. $6 a month with $10 if you don't want ads. I just wanna watch Star Trek Discovery. This is cable TV all over again, where I have to pay for an entire service for one thing. The problem begins when you need multiple services for multiple one things. This sounds worse than cable TV.

Realistically, other services (Hulu, AMazon, etc) could look into offering a la carte services, like $1-2 a month for a particular show. But pirating them as a 'call to action' isn't going to do anything, because it's not really their fault. If they had a choice in the matter, they'd add it. But they either can't, or it isn't profitable enough. I'm not going to sell you something for $4 when it costs me $5 just to make you happy.
    Again, they can't because legally they can't. So maybe we need some sort of regulation that allows all media content to be licenseable. Exclusivity is just another form of an oligopoly. Paying for it won't fix it, but pirating has changed the industry many times. If it turns out that people only stick to one streaming service, then the alternative is to take legal action for the right to license content to stream. This isn't going to be any different than a cable company who's the only one in your area that can offer you TV. With Streaming services it isn't TV but content. If CBS is the only one with Star Trek Discovery, then that's just the new oligopoly.

We don't see a problem with this now because the choices aren't that big. But everyone and their grandma is going to have a streaming service with this one content they know you must watch. So what stops companies from starting a new streaming service where they have 99% crap, except for this one TV show or movie they know you'll pay a monthly fee to watch. If you pirate then these services have to find a way to get other good content. How they do that is up to them. There's a very good reason why there's a fight against Kodi streaming plugins right now. But take one down and 25 pop up to take its place. Pretty clear people want an all-in-one streaming service with the compatibility of Kodi.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-11-27 at 07:51 PM.