Thread: Gold Inflation

Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    Deleted

Gold Inflation

i feel like gold numbers are getting out of hand, just like damage/health numbers. if they increase the gold cap by another 1,000%, which they did in legion, the next gold cap will be 100,000,000 gold per character.

sure there probably won't be missions that give you 2,5k gold each, the amount of gold will still increase.

i'd love to see some massive gold sinks and something like vendor mats for each craftable item, which would cause a slow deflation. otherwise the gold cap for the expac after BfA would probably be 1,000,000,000 or 1 billion gold.

what do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    They should just do a gold squish. People who are rich in Legion will become tycoons after that but it's still the best choice imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    so from 1 mill cap to 10 mill, thats 1,000% increase? NGFR.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubajee View Post
    i feel like gold numbers are getting out of hand, just like damage/health numbers. if they increase the gold cap by another 1,000%, which they did in legion, the next gold cap will be 100,000,000 gold per character.

sure there probably won't be missions that give you 2,5k gold each, the amount of gold will still increase.

i'd love to see some massive gold sinks and something like vendor mats for each craftable item, which would cause a slow deflation. otherwise the gold cap for the expac after BfA would probably be 1,000,000,000 or 1 billion gold.

what do you guys think?
    Inflation is a hard thing to manage because to create gold sinks that most people feel to spend their gold on they need to be on basic things that they use, which will in turn hurt people who dont have that much gold... If you do a gold squish you are basically robbing their money so it will be met with high controversy.
    The current gold sinks are mounts for the most part, but me and others who have millions of gold we dont find them appealing so we never spend it.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2017-11-28 at 01:08 AM.

We have sinks in place and it barley touches the overall gold in circulation.

Grey items will continue to increase in price, so will quest rewards etc. and with the wow token now in place, you'll never bring gold figures down to reasonable level. The only way you'd ever go back to 'normality' would be a complete reset of everyones gold / scaled down to x% then reset the values on all the trash items ingame, rejig around the spawn rates of nodes, bring back the 20 cap instead of 200cap per stack. Which isn't going to happen ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 2about View Post
    yeah dude, use some EU maths.

when it comes to gold sinks i don't think there is enough. there would have to be something that affected everyone, like massively increased repair costs or like i said vendor items needed for everything craftable (like a 5 gold item).

they cant just squish it, as everyone would feel robbed, so they have to make it something thats slowly progressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    We have sinks in place and it barley touches the overall gold in circulation.

Grey items will continue to increase in price, so will quest rewards etc. and with the wow token now in place, you'll never bring gold figures down to reasonable level. The only way you'd ever go back to 'normality' would be a complete reset of everyones gold / scaled down to x% then reset the values on all the trash items ingame, rejig around the spawn rates of nodes, bring back the 20 cap instead of 200cap per stack. Which isn't going to happen ever.
    Since item levels are going back down to below 200, grey items will sell for what they did back in TBC, so yeah, there will be much less gold in circulation in BfA.

Deleted
    So he is of by 100%, and you deem that to be worthy of pulling the NGFR card? You must be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering there is significantly less gold coming out of Legion than WoD, I don't see how inflation is happening.

Unless you're basing it off token prices or something.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Considering there is significantly less gold coming out of Legion than WoD, I don't see how inflation is happening.

there isn't people are doing what they did in garrisons in class halls, 10-20 alts, run them all through argus, gear up with 30/50/x gear on followers, usually get 2 1k+1750g gold missions per day, so 5500*10 toons = 55k a day, 1 mill in under 20 days.

blizzard failed completely at stopping this lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

i'm basing it off what history has shown. there was more gold each xpac, even without garrison missons.

why do so many wow players have such a hard time comprehending numbers? lets not waste time on this like we did with stats because of a few people who can't differentiate between 10k and 10m

We don't need deflation. Inflation, or rather "each new expansion awards more gold for playing than the previous one" is a catch up mechanism. It diminishes the impact of long term hoarders and emphasizes "play current content and you will have gold". If 1k gold was as hard to obtain now as in vanilla, a player who continuously played for 13 years would be lights years ahead of a guy just starting now, the new guy would stand no chance. But instead new guy can get enough gold to get by without bleeding himself grinding or buying gold.

Creating huge mandatory (not optional) goldsinks like high repair bills, mandatory vendor items for crafting or buffing will only cause one thing - people will not be able to afford it and will stop participating in the parts of the game (like crafting) or quit altogether. The playerbase of today wouldn't stomach "old school" concepts like grind 4 hours a day to raid for 2 hours etc. It's too boring, too time consuming, and flat out loses in comparison to accessible games like MOBAs, shooters and so on where people can spend majority of their gameplay in the midst of action and not "grinding" to get an access ticket to the action part.

Plus if you thought it through, you'd realize upping "living costs" always strikes the hardest the poor ones, creating even bigger disparity between the rich and the poor. It generally helps no one while punishing the casual player who has little time, little insider knowledge and can't be online 24/7 to exploit various in-game economy kinks like what is the best hour to farm or post auctions.

Generally most of these threads are created out of spite "I don't have gold, make it so others don't either", without thinking about consequences of what is de facto killing in-game economy.

Wouldn't just blame it on the class hall. World quests give way too much gold, especially when your bodyguard has 2 extra gold perks.

These posts about "gold squishes" are just actually dumb and don't make any sense. Here's the list of reasons why it won't happen and shouldn't happen.

1. If you're doing a gold squish, there's two ways to do it. One way is to just squish the gold numbers, but leave the items that generate gold (vendor trash, missions, quest rewards, etc.) the same. If you do this, all that will happen is the people that have a lot of gold because they know how to generate it effectively will just end up way ahead of the people that don't in short order. It accomplishes nothing.

2. The second way to do it is to squish everything - the vendor cost of stuff, the missions, the quest rewards, boss drops - every artificial gold generator. If you do that, you also accomplish nothing, because if you have half as much gold as someone before the squish, you have half as much gold as them after the squish, and your ability to generate gold to catch up has also been squished, so there's you're in the same relative position you were before the squish, making the entire exercise pointless. The only way you're going to "catch up" will be if you suddenly become better at playing the AH, getting gold from other players. Well, you can do the same thing with or without a gold squish.

3. A big reason why they will never do a gold squish is that they are effectively selling gold through tokens. Even if the squish doesn't affect the relative value of the gold people bought, lots of people won't understand that, don't read forums, and blue posts, and will be upset by it. Why would they put themselves in that situation?

4. Creating ways to sink gold out of the economy simply do not work. You can't drive the costs of gameplay essentials like repair costs, raiding consumables, gems, enchants, etc. in such a way that people can't afford them without significant amounts of time spent farming, because it's not 2004 anymore, and a lot of people will just quit rather than deal with that. That's the real cause of inflation - every expansion, they have to add in ways to generate gold like garrisons in WoD, missions and WQs in Legion, etc., because new players and players returning from breaks need to have the gold income to be able to support their basic gameplay needs. Take that away, and the multi millionaires won't care, because they will have the gold to pay for it, and will continue to generate more gold. It's the lower end of the spectrum that gets screwed. The richer players will then figure out ways to manipulate the hell out of those gold generators (i.e. the 10+ garrison alts in WoD), while they need to be accessible enough that the most casual of the player base can skate by.

5. The only way you can make real gold sinks is to have stuff that is entirely cosmetic, and not essential to gameplay or player power in any way, like the Legion spider mount for example. Stuff like that that the rich players can have for a status symbol, but there is absolutely no need to have is the only real gold sink that's possible. Even that's tricky, because the gold sink items have to be desirable enough for people to care about them (I have 11m gold and have no desire to drop 2m on that ugly spider I'd never want to use for example) but not so desirable that people that can't afford it feel left out, since they are still paying to play the game after all.

All in all, I don't think there's an actual solution to this "problem" that's not worse than the actual problem itself. If you want to catch up from a gold perspective, either put the time in, or get better at manipulating gold gains, or both. Don't ask for a useless system change that solves nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Wouldn't just blame it on the class hall. World quests give way too much gold, especially when your bodyguard has 2 extra gold perks.
    If you put the time in, you can easily push ~400+ world quests a week with maybe 1-2 hours a day of playing time.
    - Put a follower with 2 x 50 gold and 1 x 25 gold items on = 125g/world quest = 50,000 gold/week from that alone
    - You will easily generate ~200 bloods of sargeras a week doing that many world quests, plus another 40,000 order resources if you have a 100 OR follower, so 40 more. You can typically cash in bloods for mats at about a rate of 200g/blood. That's another 48,000 gold/week and probably more if you have Alchemy (since Prolonged Power usually sells for somewhat more than mats).
    - Have enchanting. Even at Enchanting 1, you can DE anything. If you DE all the epic crap you get from WQ rewards, etc, you net around 200 Chaos Crystals a week. That, plus the Arkhana, etc. from greens is another ~40,000g/week
    - You probably get around another 60,000g/week from the base gold rewards from the WQ, plus vendor trash, mob gold, etc.
    - You should be able to do at least 2 order hall gold missions a day for an average 2300g return each. That's another ~32,000 gold

That puts you at a total of 230,000 g/week for something that just requires a single character, or an average of just under a million per month. There's 0 reason that anyone should be complaining about not being able to make enough gold in Legion, not being able to pay for a token, etc.

The issue of course is - the casual player who barely plays outside of raids is doing like 1/20 of that or less, but still needs to be able to afford flasks and gems and enchants and repairs or they will quit the game. They can't really scale back on those gold generators without driving those players right out of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubajee View Post

what do you guys think?
    You want gold sinks????
    what else do you need besides
    a spider mount for 2.000.000gold,
    a pet for 1.000.000gold,
    a 32-slot bag for 500.000gold and
    a wow tokens for 300.000gold as gold sink???

PS: just because some people have lots of gold doesnt mean we need a gold shrink. thats hillarious!

There's no fix at this point. There's too much gold on people's accounts. The only real fix would be a full gold reset while also reducing gold rewards from a lot of quests in the game. But too many people would QQ. This is a big reason I'm looking forward to classic servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    there isn't people are doing what they did in garrisons in class halls, 10-20 alts, run them all through argus, gear up with 30/50/x gear on followers, usually get 2 1k+1750g gold missions per day, so 5500*10 toons = 55k a day, 1 mill in under 20 days.

blizzard failed completely at stopping this lol.
    yep - I'm averaging ~2 million a month according to my spreadsheet, been recording data since September...this is *just* missions. Blizzard is clearly inflating gold on purpose.

Yes it is. a 100% increase would be x2. A 1,000% increase is x10. A thousand PERCENT, not a thousands times.

Reading comprehension.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You want gold sinks????
    what else do you need besides
    a spider mount for 2.000.000gold,
    a pet for 1.000.000gold,
    a 32-slot bag for 500.000gold and
    a wow tokens for 300.000gold as gold sink???

PS: just because some people have lots of gold doesnt mean we need a gold shrink. thats hillarious!
    Needs to happen anyway. Increasing gold cap, doesnt help at all, only created the problem. If they want to have it like this, they need to increase repair gold to a maximum of 200,000 gold for full repair. And so on. This is the current path WoW is heading. Not good.

Or,

AH items (selling crafted, rare drop etc) to have a specific value that cannot be priced by players (similar to BDO), with less gold cap limit.
    Let's say you loot a BoE ilvl 970, you cannot sell it for more than 40,000 gold, and its range would be 35,000 to 40,000, whereas a ilvl 840 item would be sold at 5,000 to 7,500 gold. Spider mount would cost approx 200,000 gold.<---rough examples. I'd say, Gold cap to be 500,000 only, or 1 mill tops. Account wide. Probably has some flaws, but tbh its alot better than the current system wow has. Yes, this sounds like controlling players not to be too rich. Tbh, thats the point.

The more richer you are, the more you demand from your items, and you are unwilling to spend that gold.

I dunno honestly, I just say instead of increasing gold limit, decrease it. or put a certain limit, account wide, like 10mill gold, or 1 mill gold.