Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do Nightborne priests worship Elune?

Simple question: do Nightborne priests worship Elune?

I know the moon motif is popular in their architecture, and with the former Temple of Elune nearby and their shared history with the night elves, they were once worshippers.

But I was under the impression that worship of the moon goddess was forgotten or otherwise shunned once the barrier was up. Do you think the player characters still follow the old ways or will the priests of the nightborne get their power from another source?

probably not considering they were in a big magical bubble and couldnt see the sky

you gotta be able to see the moon to get ur moon powers imo

maybe they will rediscover it later on tho

They probably do, they retained their culture pristinely for 10 k years and the shrines to Elune in Suramar are still beautifully decoratd with flowers and offerings constantly given. Whiles the absence of the priesthood for 10k year meant the faith was not organised as such, the people very likely still believed in Elune, they just weren't as devoted to them.

It's also likely that some nightborne priests or acolytes were in the city when it closed, and also possible Elune had followers that we aren't shown. Nightborne priests are a thing, and the moon motif is a huge part of them given they are night elves.

There is no evidence of Elune worship being shunned, the decorated shrines speak quite to the contrary, but without a rpriesthood.. there wouldn't be too much organisation, we shall see. These are arcane empire night elves so its possible this continues, who knows.

There are no Nightborne Priests in Suramar. They should not have this class, but Blizzard gave it to them anyway. It is mentioned multiple times during the Aszuna questline and some of the WQ texts, that the Arcane users discarded the Worshipping of Elune completely.

It makes about as much sense as Draenei Shaman and Blood Elf Paladins - none. Blood Elf Paladins DID have a cool, unique lore..that was removed with the cleansing of the Sunwell, at which point they should have lost the ability to be Paladins, unless they ally themselves with the Draenei. Which they - at least to my knowledge - did not.

So what are you supposed to do as a player with a class that makes no fucking sense for your race if you still want to play it? I don't know. You could worship "the light" instead of Elune...but then you would be closer to the Draenei. Or you could worship Elune, saying your character restored this old faith - but then it makes very little sense that you are helping to burn down Elunes temples and wells in Northern Kalimdor. Especially since you would have to agree with Tyrande that turning away from Elune and completely devoting yourself to the Arcane was a SIN. But this is exactly the point which Blizzard made up is Thalyssras reason for not liking Tyrande anymore.

Either way...you're fucked. That's just my opinion, though.

You should ask yourself though: Why would you want to play a Holy/Disc priest serving an Undead Banshee anyway? Isn't that a far more important question your character should ask him/herself?
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2017-12-04 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    There are no Nightborne Priests in Suramar. They should not have this class, but Blizzard gave it to them anyway. It is mentioned multiple times during the Aszuna questline and some of the WQ texts, that the Arcane users discarded the Worshipping of Elune completely.

It makes about as much sense as Draenei Shaman and Blood Elf Paladins - none. Blood Elf Paladins DID have a cool, unique lore..that was removed with the cleansing of the Sunwell, at which point they should have lost the ability to be Paladins, unless they ally themselves with the Draenei. Which they - at least to my knowledge - did not.

So what are you supposed to do as a player with a class that makes no fucking sense for your race if you still want to play it? I don't know. You could worship "the light" instead of Elune...but then you would be closer to the Draenei. Or you could worship Elune, saying your character restored this old faith - but then it makes very little sense that you are helping to burn down Elunes temples and wells in Northern Kalimdor. Especially since you would have to agree with Tyrande that turning away from Elune and completely devoting yourself to the Arcane was a SIN. But this is exactly the point which Blizzard made up is Thalyssras reason for not liking Tyrande anymore.

Either way...you're fucked. That's just my opinion, though.

You should ask yourself though: Why would you want to play a Holy/Disc priest serving an Undead Banshee anyway? Isn't that a far more important question your character should ask him/herself?
    Seeing as how you make your Nightborne character after the events of Legion, it's perfectly fine for a Nightborne to be a Priest. Elune's temple is only a zone away.

Also how do Draenei Shaman make no sense? They even did a short story on Nobundo. Also, if you talk to him in game it tells you how he became a Shaman.

Also the renewal of the Sunwell after the raid restored the Light to the Blood Elves... Why should it have removed it? lol.

Also, Thalyrssa's reason for joining the Horde really has nothing to do with Tyrande or her opinion on the Arcane. It's explained in the Nightborne emissary questline why the Nightborne join the Horde.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-12-04 at 05:46 AM.

To be fair goblin shamans make even less sense.

Thinking about it, though, wouldn't it be sacrilegious for them to defy the High Priestess Tyrande if they were followers of Elune?

Tyrande is the chosen one of the moon goddess, so if they were to be against or at war with the night elves, what reason would Elune have to give the nightborne power?

Maybe they can't be priestesses of Elune afterall...

10+ Year Old Account
    How do BElf paladins not make sense? BElves could use Light and were members of the Church of the Holy Light and Knights of the Silver Hand before the fall of Silvermoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Seeing as how you make your Nightborne character after the events of Legion, it's perfectly fine for a Nightborne to be a Priest. Elune's temple is only a zone away.
    Again: Turning yourself to Elune, no matter if before or after Legion, as a Nigtborne means you would have to share Tyrandes view on the Nightborne. Did you notice that the Barrier that shielded Suramar went right through the bridge that once connected them with the Temple of Elune? This is more telling of how they did not want to have anything to do with that than anything else.

This is not about Tyrande having a point or whatever...i only mention her because she is often made up to be the reason Nightborne turned to the Horde.

Imagine you WOULD pick up the faith of Elune after Legion is over. What are your convictions? At some point you would HAVE to agree that turning away from Elune 10.000 years ago was wrong. What's the alternative? That it was right to ditch your faith for as long as the arcwine lasted? That does not sound very "priesty" to me.

If you are at the point where your character agrees that ditching Elune was wrong....than what sense does the lore explanation of the Nightborne turning away from the Night Elves make? Thalyssra makes it very clear in the PTR voiceover that the accusations and general rejection of the Nightborne's way of life are her reasons to break with the Night Elves....but your character would have to agree on all of that.

Also...the "other" argument for the Nightborne joining the Horde is their similarity to the Blood Elves. While there are some small Moon shrines remaining in Quel'thalas it's safe to say Blood Elves worship the sun, not the moon/Elune.

So it would make far more sense for Nightborne Priests to pick up this faith from their smaller cousins.

Knowing Blizzard, however, i have a strong feeling they will shit all over the reasoning and just make the Nightborne worship Elune for shits and giggles.

---

As for Draenei Shaman....you are talking about Broken. I am talking about Draenei. Broken are not playable. Draenei are. Argus explaines it very well: Being cut off from the light made the Broken turn towards the more primal powers of the earth and elements (it was the same explanation for the Outland-Broken). That's fine. The player Draenei, however, is a light-worshipping space traveller that does not have this problem. Becoming a shaman makes as much sense for them as becoming a Paladin does for a Tauren. Are you able to "learn" it? Sure. Everybody is. Does it make any sense for the believes your character probably has growing up in the racial backround we are told s/he did? No.

I know Blizzard made up stupid reasons why Tauren Paladins are cool with the lore. If you are digging that...than anything goes, i guess.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2017-12-04 at 06:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLimonTree View Post
    To be fair goblin shamans make even less sense.
    The entire deal with non-taunka/dark shamans is that they provide a service to the 5 elements in order to use their powers, the whole "respect the elements always" is cultural (and optional).

If anything goblin shamans are a natural fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

They outright mock elune worship in some of their datamined dialogue.

Again: Turning yourself to Elune, no matter if before or after Legion, as a Nigtborne means you would have to share Tyrandes view on the Nightborne. Did you notice that the Barrier that shielded Suramar went right through the bridge that once connected them with the Temple of Elune? This is more telling of how they did not want to have anything to do with that than anything else.

This is not about Tyrande having a point or whatever...i only mention her because she is often made up to be the reason Nightborne turned to the Horde.

Imagine you WOULD pick up the faith of Elune after Legion is over. What are your convictions? At some point you would HAVE to agree that turning away from Elune 10.000 years ago was wrong. What else? That it was right to ditch your faith for as long as the arcwhine lasted? That does not sound very "priesty" to me.

If you are at the point were your character agrees that ditching Elune was wrong....than what sense does the lore explanation of the Nightborne turning away from the Night Elves make? Thalyssra makes it very clear in the PTR voiceover that the accusations and general rejection of the Nightbornes way of life are her reason to break with the Night Elves....but your character would have to agree on all of that.

Also...the "other" argument for the Nightborne joining the Horde is their similarity to the Blood Elves. While there are some small Moon shrines remaining in Quel'thalas it's safe to say Blood Elves worship the sun, not the moon/Elune.

So it would make far more sense for Nightborne Priests to pick up this faith from their smaller cousins.

Knowing Blizzard, however, i have a strong feeling they will shit all over the reasoning and just make the Nightborne worship Elune for shits and giggles.

---

As for Draenei Shaman....you are talking about Broken. I am talking about Draenei. Broken are not playable. Draenei are. Argus explaines it very well: Being cut off from the light made the Broken turn towards the more primal powers of the earth and elements. That's fine. The player Draenei, however, is a space light-worshipping space traveller that does not have this problem. Becoming a shaman makes as much sense for them as becoming a Paladin as a Tauren.

I know Blizzard made up stupid reasons why Tauren Paladins are cool with the lore. If you are digging that...than anything goes, i guess.
    Chronologically the shield was up before the temple was raised from the ocean floor, the temple that has been full of Ghosts, Naga and Demons for quite some time. Also Thalyrssa's voicelines in the Nightborne emissary questline show that she enjoys the familiarity of the Blood Elves patriotism and Rommaths appreciation of his people and their familiarity with addiction and their overall strength/conviction, she also seems to like the cultural independence the Horde gives to it's races whilst also being good at banding together at the same time. She didn't say anything about the Night Elves or Tyrande.

Also their is a Moonwell in Suramar. You actually help to set it up in a quest. It's a short walk away from the city. Not particularly far away for flocks of Nightborne who will now be leaving the city.

Yes Nobundo is a broken, he is the first shaman and he teaches both Draenei and Broken Shamanism with Velens approval. It's in game and in his short story. You clearly should read them. He can teach Shamanism regardless of the Draeneis connection with the Light. Nobundo's disconnection with the Light merely explains how he, the first Shaman came about.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-12-04 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    The entire deal with non-taunka/dark shamans is that they provide a service to the 5 elements in order to use their powers, the whole "respect the elements always" is cultural (and optional).

If anything goblin shamans are a natural fit.
    Why would an elemental give a shit about making a business contract?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimonTree View Post
    Why would an elemental give a shit about making a business contract?
    because they are individuals with individual personalities. they're just like mortals. demons are the same way. they aren't just aloof, all-knowing beings.

nightborne priests might pick up light worship from the blood elves and their sun well. thalyssra seems very impressed by its power when she visits, and the rank and file soldiers and blood knights that helped retake her city were a force to be reckoned with. i could see some wanting that power. but that would give them paladins, and they don't have those.

The argument against them learning to wield the light from the blood elves is that the Nightborne can be priests and not paladins, though... If they learn to use the light from the blood elves, they would study to become both paladins and priests.

If they simply used Elune's light as they did before they created the barrier, it would explain why they only have priests and not paladins.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The elves have worshiped Elune for a long time. The tomb of Sargaras was originally a Temple of Elune. Also we should remember that Tyrande's was a Priestess of Elune when we first meet her in Warcraft 3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    The elves have worshiped Elune for a long time. The tomb of Sargaras was originally a Temple of Elune. Also we should remember that Tyrande's was a Priestess of Elune when we first meet her in Warcraft 3.
    She was a priestess of Elune long before, even before the Sundering. She lived in Suramar and was one of the priestesses there.

She's still a priestess nowadays too.

Tyrande has been high priestess since WotA, seeing as Thalryssa mocks her for elunes wisdom it doesn't make sense for Nightborne to have priestess at least. But a priest can be so much. Maybe they are catholics.

Deleted
    Well, they can be shadow priests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    Well, they can be shadow priests.
    The Horde stands against shadow magic.