Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Articles like this always make me wonder what portion of the information we're getting.

Without seeing the actual contract, it would be easy to skew a story like this to support either side's agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Yeah fuck those stuck up city level governments that have to shove thier bullshit standards on everyone. One store doesn’t sell wine or pork, whhhaaaaaat!? Where else am I a Frenchmen gonna get my wine!? The gutter!?
    At least he isn't seeling wine with antifreeze. No wine is essentially better than most cheap shitty wine.

Yeah they don't give a shit that they don't sell certain stuff, they're just making a statement using a really weird loophole.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    The store was registered as a general supermarket. The problem was that the store targeted willfully only muslim customers. (not only with the products, but also the decoration, ambiance, music etc). That was a specific case of deliberate communitarianism.

And as stated by Josuke we have laïcité in France so this thing can not happen. It is not closing the store that is against laicité, the store was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    What I don't understand is the focus on enforcing the terms that they must serve a wide array of food. Is this shop in a remote location and the only one for many miles? I just don't understand what would necessitate this kind of language in an agreement.
    I would like to know more about this, but can't find much. Seems some of the locals complained.

The court ruled that the owner of the store had failed to meet “the needs of all inhabitants of the residential area.” The products that the shop stocked were "restrictive and did not fit the broad concept of general goods,” it added.
    Local residents complained that after the halal mini-market replaced a regular supermarket they were not being served properly, with halal products constituting 96 percent of what the grocery shop sold.
    The ruling came after locals complained they could no longer get a broad range of products after the halal supermarket replaced a regular supermarket.
    Last year Nicole Goueta, the mayor of Colombes, visited the store to urge Mr Yalcin to begin selling alcohol and pork.
    The mayor's chief of staff, Jerome Besnard, said that he asked the owner to 'diversify' his range of products on sale following complaints from locals.

He added that the area wants a 'social mix' where everyone can get hold of a selection of products.
    Many of the older residents have been unable to complete their entire shop at the new store, following the closure of the old supermarket.
    This has forced them to travel to other shops to buy pork and alcohol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Wouldn't that ban beef?
    Nope, just the way animals are slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    Good. That's all I'll say.
    Do you generally side with authoritarianism and the denial of freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    From what I can gather it is a law that is put into place to ensure that a community is not without needs. So some properties needs to be lawfully compliant to only lease to those who would set up a general food store, and not all sorts of specialty stores.
    Okay, if that's true, the welfare of the community would seem to take precedent, especially if an agreement was signed.

I'm surprised there isn't a "Halal food store" designation the owner could agree to. I'm sure a Jewish market would run into these same sorts of problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I would like to know more about this, but can't find much. Seems some of the locals complained.
    Nice. Thank you for that. On my phone, and I was really scratching my head over here!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It's a violation of their First Amendment rights.
    I missed USA invading France.

Has oil been discovered There?

This should not be an issue the government need be involved with at all. This should be a matter between the business, and the property owner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Do you generally side with authoritarianism and the denial of freedom?
    I side with not slitting a live animals throat so it can slowly bleed to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Have you ever slaughtered an animal yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Of course I'm going to play down someone trying to argue against a strawman.
    this is what i first said

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Hubcap quoted the US 1st amendment, which in no shape or form is going to applied to the citizens of France, no matter how much support they gave the US in the revolutionary war.
    this is your reply

Except you know the fact that the constitution itself was at least somewhat influenced by the ideologies of French revolutionaries.

In fact i believe there were a few french philosophers who argued that religion and state should be separate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechri...nch_Revolution
    You totally dismissed my point and went with "except", as if the 1st amendment was applicable, even giving reasons as to why. Its strange that you dont think any of this happened.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    makes sense, the people that make a big thing over halal food stores probably live on a diet made purely of pork and wine.

10+ Year Old Account
    They violated a contract. I see no issue. specialty stores =/= general stores, and pork / alcohol are 2 fairly major foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Nice. Thank you for that. On my phone, and I was really scratching my head over here!
    This seems to be an important bit.

It claims that the store, which replaced a regular supermarket last year, is in breach of French republican principles by prioritising a certain group.

I wonder if they have the option to classify themselves as a specialty food store which would allow them to sell their foods. Maybe if they classify themselves as a specialty food store, it is harder to get the zoning or they have to pay higher taxes? Would need to know more about french law.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Then you should become a vegan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Nope, just the way animals are slaughtered.
    Are you fucking real? Halal and Kosher butchery is 1000x better than our "western" methods.

I dont support Religion having a say in food consumption, but the practises speaks for themselves.

Boltgun mass-slaughter is not something you can ever defend as the best option.

So fuck that nonsense, stop being so scared. An animal butchered by proper halal or kosher regulations have not only lived a better life, but also died a better death.

... Sick and tired of this fucking pointless fear and anti-behaviour to things you dont even know shit about. And I'm a freaking atheist, I couldnt care less about religion.

If you wanna ban things that are inhumane then you should be against industrial agriculture full stop.

Halal in most industrialized countries is as humane as the rest of it. The animals are killed as quickly and painlessly as possible, they just have to do it facing mecca and have some prayers.

- - - Updated - - -

Well okay if you want to ignore the influence that the french revolution had on american politics then go ahead.
    As i said to you before, it doesn't matter how much France influenced them, US laws do not apply to other countries.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."