Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    What could go wrong except absolutely everything?

And what happened to [I]States Rights[/I]?
    They would still have the right to define how and where one could carry a firearm. The reason no states have a total ban on anyone having or carrying a firearm, is it would be shot down in the courts as Unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Does not say conceal carry. But it does say to bear. Which means to carry. This is the reason some states, such as Vermont, Kansas, Idaho and some others are called Constitutional Carry states. Also many states are Open Carry, which they feel it is a Constitutional right to. So it does not define how one can or can not carry. But that Congress will pass no laws which will prohibit the citizens the right to bear arms.

The Supreme Court has let the states decide on how they can regulate carry of firearms for their citizens. Which this bill would not violate, as it does nothing to change their laws for their residents or those visiting when it comes to carrying firearms.
    So there is no right to bear them concealed, as long as there are other ways to bear (carry) them.
    Since there is carrying them openly it follows that concealed carry is not a right in the constitution.

As long as they do not outlaw all forms of carrying there is no problem with the constitution.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    How does this not make it easier for crazy gunmen to cross state lines in order to go shoot up places?
    They would kind of do that anyway...you know...being crazed gunmen they don't care about laws like normal people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Terrible bill. But I guess more mass shootings is the desired effect, they really help distract from shit like Manafort's continuing communications with Russians.
    Oh shit hommie, we can't pop that kid over there it's across state lines which is illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

And what happened to States Rights?
    Bill of rights>state rights and always has been that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    So there is no right to bear them concealed, as long as there are other ways to bear (carry) them.
    Since there is carrying them openly it follows that concealed carry is not a right in the constitution.

As long as they do not outlaw all forms of carrying there is no problem with the constitution.
    Basically. The word to bear is pretty clear to mean the right to have a firearm on your person.

Here is a good article on the subject for those interested. https://www.thetrace.org/2017/02/con...ent-explained/

- - - Updated - - -

The House just passed the bill with the support of 6 Democrates http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...advocates.html however, as I have said before, getting 60 votes in the Senate is not likely. But hope it does.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-06 at 07:22 PM.

And what happened to States Rights?
    States rights are still intact here.

Traffic laws can and do vary state to state, yet your driver's license is still valid in other states.

Same concept here

As an Ohio CHL holder, I would still need to adhere to any ordinances put forth by other states concerning concealed carry. If I visit a 10-round state, I only get to carry 10 round mags. I still can't go into 'gun free' zones as defined by the state I'd happen to be visiting.

States can still make rules concerning the "how its done", but not to the degree that would make it unlawful to do at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpuk View Post

Traffic laws can and do vary state to state, yet your driver's license is still valid in other states.

Same concept here

As an Ohio CHL holder, I would still need to adhere to any ordinances put forth by other states concerning concealed carry. If I visit a 10-round state, I only get to carry 10 round mags. I still can't go into 'gun free' zones as defined by the state I'd happen to be visiting.

States can still make rules concerning the "how its done", but not to the degree that would make it unlawful to do at all.
    Absolutely true.Their argument is not about State's Rights anyway. Those of us who support this bill, need to write our Senators and urge them to vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by misterpuk View Post

Same concept here
    Except states aren't being forced to do that, if the concept is that license should be valid across all states like driver's license get ready for the avalanche lawsuits coming your way. I am not against the bill but without a federal concealed license standards for all states it's a violation of state rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Except states aren't being forced to do that, if the concept is that license should be valid across all states like driver's license get ready for the avalanche lawsuits coming your way. I am not against the bill but without a federal concealed license standards for all states it's a violation of state rights.
    They tried to pass a federal concealed carry license law years ago (which would have had whatever requirements), but it got shot down. So now we have this, which makes sense on some levels.

The simple fact is, something like 38 states already have reciprocity agreements for CWL's. So now, theoretically, I could carry concealed in NY or NJ, if this passes.
    Except that, in NY or NJ, you need a license to OWN a gun, so not sure how it handles that. In NJ you're limited to 15 rounds, in NY it's 6 or 8 or something, so need to pay attention to which magazines you have. Oh, and both ban hollow points I think, or at least NY does, so still odd rules.

So really, the states I couldn't carry in before, still have 20 laws that would make me not carry there still.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They tried to pass a federal concealed carry license law years ago (which would have had whatever requirements), but it got shot down. So now we have this, which makes sense on some levels.

The simple fact is, something like 38 states already have reciprocity agreements for CWL's. So now, theoretically, I could carry concealed in NY or NJ, if this passes.
    Except that, in NY or NJ, you need a license to OWN a gun, so not sure how it handles that. In NJ you're limited to 15 rounds, in NY it's 6 or 8 or something, so need to pay attention to which magazines you have. Oh, and both ban hollow points I think, or at least NY does, so still odd rules.

So really, the states I couldn't carry in before, still have 20 laws that would make me not carry there still.
    Well this isn't any better, I don't think this bill written by the NRA is the way to go the courts will sort it out. If it passes through the justice system then precedence will be set for other licenses like marijuana, abortion clinics etc. should be a fun mess to watch. Even if it passes it will be held up in court for years far beyond this administration.

10+ Year Old Account

You only have hollow points and magazines which are over 8 rounds? I think 8 is the least any state law has. And what are the other 18 reasons?
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-08 at 04:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

6 FMJs on you is far better than 18 JHPs back at your house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Aren't conservatives all about State's rights though?
    Heh... no. That's just their mantra when they want to stop the federal government from stopping them from doing what they want to do, like destroy national monuments or be bigots.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

You only have hollow points and magazines which are over 8 rounds? I think 8 is the least any state law has. And what are the other 18 reasons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    6 FMJs on you is far better than 18 JHPs back at your house.
    I'd rather just avoid those states in either case. :-p
    The point is that this might consolidate the CWL laws, but it does nothing to cover any OTHER firearm laws these places might have. I don't know if there's anything in the law about state registration laws. There's also the communication issues of course, knowing what laws are in the other state and also officers in those states knowing what the new system might be.

Having your CWL work in NY, then getting arrested for an unregistered glock with an illegal magazine and illegal bullets, all because the newspapers are talking about how easy it is to just walk into NY now with a gun...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather just avoid those states in either case. :-p
    The point is that this might consolidate the CWL laws, but it does nothing to cover any OTHER firearm laws these places might have. I don't know if there's anything in the law about state registration laws. There's also the communication issues of course, knowing what laws are in the other state and also officers in those states knowing what the new system might be.

Having your CWL work in NY, then getting arrested for an unregistered glock with an illegal magazine and illegal bullets, all because the newspapers are talking about how easy it is to just walk into NY now with a gun...
    Umm...no. If you want to go into New York for example , you would need to know what laws that state has for those who conceal carry a firearm. If they have a law which says you can not have a magazine of capacity over 8 rounds and no hollow point ammo, pretty clear. If they arrest you for having a firearm concealed, but otherwise you are not violating any of their laws concerning conceal carry, they will have to turn you loose and you can sue them for false arrest. Really not hard to understand.

Of course nothing is saying you would have to go to that state if you do not want to. But if you have to, to visit family, friend, business ,etc., by federal law, you would not be breaking any law by simply having a out of state CHL or CCW license and carrying a firearm concealed. This is just a common sense proposal in my opinion.

But I am like you, I would rather just avoid those states. However one example of were I would like this federal law is when I go on vacation to the Outer Banks and have to pass thru Maryland. For one, I would need to know if they allow their residents to carry a firearm loaded in a vehicle. If not, then I would want to know if they allow their citizens to carry one concealed if they stop at a rest stop, gas station or place to eat. If they allow all of those for their citizens, then I could confidently drive thru their state with no worries of violating a law.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-09 at 12:43 AM.

But if you have to, to visit family, friend, business ,etc., by federal law, you would not be breaking any law by simply having a out of state CHL or CCW license and carrying a firearm concealed.
    Right, but the states already handled that with 38 of them having reciprocity agreements. The remaining 12, this might open up a few more, but since a good bit of them have registration requirements, you might have the legal option to carry concealed while not having the legal right to possess a firearm.

This is just a common sense proposal in my opinion. But not likely to pass the Senate.
    I'm certainly not opposed to the law, by any means, just saying there's so many other issues with anti-gun states, it probably won't actually matter much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, but the states already handled that with 38 of them having reciprocity agreements. The remaining 12, this might open up a few more, but since a good bit of them have registration requirements, you might have the legal option to carry concealed while not having the legal right to possess a firearm.

I'm certainly not opposed to the law, by any means, just saying there's so many other issues with anti-gun states, it probably won't actually matter much.
    The state laws dealing with registration of a firearm is for their residents basically. If you move there , then yes, you would need to get your firearms registered with their registry. Not if you are just visiting. This applies to cars/trucks also. I do agree it would be nice if all the states agreed with reciprocity, but we both know, they are not all going to. On occasion, the Federal government has to step in and set up National wide standards.

The state laws dealing with registration of a firearm is for their residents basically. If you move there , then yes, you would need to get your firearms registered with their registry. Not if you are just visiting. This applies to cars/trucks also. I do agree it would be nice if all the states agreed with reciprocity, but we both know, they are not all going to. On occasion, the Federal government has to step in and set up National wide standards.
    There's a specific federal law concerning transporting across states as long as you are legal in first and last state. You need to have it in trunk, unloaded. Again, not sure what this new law (which we both doubt will pass anyway) actually exempts in regard to such state laws as registration. I just wish they'd spent this effort on the HPA in addition to the national carry stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a specific federal law concerning transporting across states as long as you are legal in first and last state. You need to have it in trunk, unloaded. Again, not sure what this new law (which we both doubt will pass anyway) actually exempts in regard to such state laws as registration. I just wish they'd spent this effort on the HPA in addition to the national carry stuff.
    It is not unlawful to cross into a state with say a loaded handgun in your vehicle if it is legal in that state and you have CCW or CHL license and the state recognizes it and also allows it. For example, Ohio allows those with a CHL to have in their vehicle a loaded handgun and if I cross into Indiana, which also allows it. I have not broken any laws.

This article by the NRA explains it better. https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation