Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Sounds like ignorant gun grabber logic to me. This is why most reasonable people do not take them seriously.
    Well, if I didn't own guns, you'd actually have a valid point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post

The guy in the article stole both the guns the same day he got caught.
    Not true. Reread the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So your real issues that I used the word responsible. I am in full agreement that the gun owner was not responsible, But I get tired of hearing and seeing the same old tired argument of every gun owner seems to be responsible, except when they aren't. I probably should've put responsible in "s but it is what it is.
    Responsible gun owners get tired of the same old argument there is this huge problem with irresponsible gun owners when its there isn't one. We have 323 million people in the US and an estimated 270-310 million guns yet gun deaths are less than 2% of deaths in the US every year. If it was this huge epidemic we would be seeing more deaths than 40,000 per year for a population of 320 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    Sounds like a reason to get your gun licence revoked (or a similar administrative consequence), not a reason for criminal charges.
    I think to a lot ofgun owners losing the ability to own a gun is a harsh penalty.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, you punish them for not securing their firearms properly, a glove box or middle console isn't secure.
    Well, I am thankful you do not get to decide what is properly storing a firearm. Knowing the laws dealing with such is important however and one can write their law makers to push for stronger laws dealing with it if they feel they are not adequate.

.... Only to be used later on that day to shoot a police officer in the head.

https://www.google.com/amp/fox2now.c...r-surgery/amp/

There needs to be a very harsh penalties for gun owners who have their firearms stolen, or lose them.
    Kind of a misnomer to have "responsible " in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by asasyn13 View Post
    Responsible gun owners get tired of the same old argument there is this huge problem with irresponsible gun owners when its there isn't one. We have 323 million people in the US and an estimated 270-310 million guns yet gun deaths are less than 2% of deaths in the US every year. If it was this huge epidemic we would be seeing more deaths than 40,000 per year for a population of 320 million.
    https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/fshbopc0510pr.cfm

1.4 million guns were stolen in a 5 year span, you're right, there's no issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So you got the idea, kudos.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

So you got the idea, kudos.
    Sure there is. More harsher laws to punish those who steal them.

Well according to that link, more guns are stolen in burglaries than from "other property crimes" so technically the gun was safer in the car.

7+ Year Old Account
    .... Only to be used later on that day to shoot a police officer in the head.

https://www.google.com/amp/fox2now.c...r-surgery/amp/

There needs to be a very harsh penalties for gun owners who have their firearms stolen, or lose them.
    "Victims should be penalized for being victims."

How about no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Sure there is. More harsher laws to punish those who steal them.
    No disagreements there, but still, people need to quit making their firearms so easy to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    People especially police just need to learn to shoot earlier. No need to increase penalties that discourage people from owning guns.
    Lmao, what a solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I thought so too, I can think the OP decided it sounded a better thread title than "Irresponsible thief shoots police officer in head with stolen gun!"

[QUOTE=Stop Pretending;48296712]https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/press/fshbopc0510pr.cfm

- - - Updated - - -

So .005% of guns over 5 years were stolen, yea not really a huge number to be honest. That's 280,000 guns per year stolen .0001% and that's on the low side i'm giving you 270 million total guns in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    You could try not storing your gun in a car, at least not in a useable state. He's not a responsible owner if he leaves his gun useable in a unsecure location. A car is not secure, they are very easy to break into.

In Sweden for example you can't legally leave a gun in your car without first removing a vital part, what part you need to remove depends on the gun. For a hunting rifle you need to remove the bolt. If he was a responsible gun owner the one who stole the gun wouldn't have been able to use it without first getting new parts for it.

If you store your gun in a safe it will most likely not get stolen unless you have a shitty safe that any thief can open up, in which case you wouldn't be a responsible gun owner.

Typical 'muricans that doesn't know gun safety and then tries to blame someone else when they fuck up, the gun owner fucked up by leaving a gun in his car unsecured.
    I personally don't believe in storing firearms in a car at all. However, a safe in a car might not work, because someone doesn't have to open the safe, just steal the car.

Also, even an in home safe(say a 5000 dollar, high quality for the money safe), do you believe it is easy or hard for a criminal to break into one?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-12-08 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No disagreements there, but still, people need to quit making their firearms so easy to steal.
    I do not disagree with that. One reason I would not leave my firearm in a unlocked car in plain view. We just happen to not agree on how far we need to take that precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaiz View Post
    I thought so too, I can think the OP decided it sounded a better thread title than "Irresponsible thief shoots police officer in head with stolen gun!"
    Yeah, would have been more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I personally don't believe in storing firearms in a car at all. However, a safe in a car might not work, because someone doesn't have to open the safe, just steal the car.

Also, even an in home safe(say a 5000 dollar, high quality for the money safe), do you believe it is easy or hard for a criminal to break into one?
    I never said anything about a safe in a car, but okay thanks for the input.

A simple thief like the one in this article wouldn't be able to break into a 5000 dollar safe, no.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    The difference is guns are meant to kill and cars are not. Sure a car can be used to kill but that was not its design intention. My shoelaces can be used to kill too. Your example is poor.
    If someone unlawfully steals a lawfully owned item and uses it to commit a crime, the lawful owner who was stolen from shouldn't be held responsible, regardless of the item.

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    If someone steal your car and use it to do a hit and run ..... you will be the one having to pay back.
    No, you won't.
    So yes let's do the same thing with people who have their gun stolen.
    So no, we shouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether you find it irresponsible or not the gun owner did nothing against law. Last time I checked it's not illegal for someone who has a license to carry to keep their gun in their car. So tell me again why the gun owner is partly to blame here? It's not like he purposely left his gun in his car so thieves could take it and use it as they see fit.

I swear it's like people have to always point fingers and say "it's his fault!" and "he should've done this" or "he should've done that". The only person at fault here is the piece of shit who stole the gun and shot the cop. Nobody else. Stop trying to look for other people to blame when there is only one criminal here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    First of all a car still is not a thing, only designed to kill, and yes, if you allow unfit people having acess to it, like keep the door open, and the key inside, which is then used to purposely run people over, yes the car owner should be hold partially responsible.
    A car can be a thing designed to kill if that's the way you use it. Just like a gun. Some guns are used for sport, some are used for hunting animals, and some unfortunately are used for murdering people. Just like how cars can be used for racing, for simple transportation, or to run over people.

Now lets say you came home after a stressful day at work and the only thing on your mind is your bed, you just want to sleep. So you get home and go straight to bed. Next day you find out your car is missing and is later reported that your car was stolen by some guy who ran over a couple people. You're saying you'd be ok with being fined or even put in jail because you forgot to lock your doors?