Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Isn't Trump right about the fake news?

I've looked at numerous cases were Trump has called the media out for delivering fake news and in those instances it did indeed appear that the news articles had been "faked" to make Trump appear to be a buffoon and what not. CNN and WashPo seem to be particularly guilty of this.

I'm not American so i'm not exposed to your media the same as you guys so perhaps i'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    I've looked at numerous cases were Trump has called the media out for delivering fake news and in those instances it did indeed appear that the news articles had been "faked" to make Trump appear to be a buffoon and what not. CNN and WashPo seem to be particularly guilty of this.

I'm not American so i'm not exposed to your media the same as you guys so perhaps i'm missing something.
    List your evidences. I dare you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    List your evidences. I dare you.
    Off the top of my head the Koi fish thing and recently the empty stadium at the Trump speech are two news articles that comes to mind. Then again i'm not about to launch a complete journalistic investigation on your account even if you "dare me". Though i'm pretty sure that if i did you would simply dismiss my findings as you people have repeatedly done when i've proven i've done my due diligence.

You can start by explaining how those two events are not fake news.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of fake news out there, that's for sure. But I'd imagine most of the negative ones regarding Trump are relatively accurate.

Unless you want to praise him, there is hardly any need to create anything fake. That man is his own worst enemy, casually jumping from controversy to controversy.

Sure there is fake news out there. The vast majority of it is right leaning, or just comes from Trump himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off the top of my head the Koi fish thing and recently the empty stadium at the Trump speech are two news articles that comes to mind. Then again i'm not about to launch a complete journalistic investigation on your account even if you "dare me". Though i'm pretty sure that if i did you would simply dismiss my findings as you people have repeatedly done when i've proven i've done my due diligence.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/06/po...pan/index.html

For example, that article does mention that Abe poured his own first.

I have not heard anything about empty stadiums.

Huh. There appears to have been a bit of fake news about the stadium thing. That's pretty retarded. Don't think it's a smart move to give fuel for Trump to continue his "fake news" crusade.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-12-10 at 11:28 PM.

The thing about the "fake news" bullshit, is that it's an attempt to deflect from actual stories. Trump is a habitual liar, so trying to call out others for mistakes or being intellectually dishonest is fucking ridiculous. Trump is fake news, and he's the result of ignorant voters believing lies. That's the irony of it all, the people who scream about fake news, are the ones who actually fell for the real fake news... including you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The thing about the "fake news" bullshit, is that it's an attempt to deflect from actual stories. Trump is a habitual liar, so trying to call out others for mistakes or being intellectually dishonest is fucking ridiculous. Trump is fake news, and he's the result of ignorant voters believing lies. That's the irony of it all, the people who scream about fake news, are the ones who actually fell for the real fake news... including you.
    The real fake news? Give me a for instance.

Inauguration crowd size, for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Breitbart, GatewayPundit, Trump's own mouth.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...umps-lies.html
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-12-10 at 11:38 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

Examples please.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire birther BS that he spouted for years?
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.

The Koi fish thing wasn't faked in any way, it was misreprented by a couple of liberal internet pundits, but the main stream article on it did contain the relevant facts, and weren't really at all critical to Trump about it. The "empty stadium" thing was a joke posted on a personal twitter account by a journalist, it was never a news story in the first place. That journalist apologized because the joke was in poor taste.

I have a lot of issues with the media, but they do generally publish the correct facts with remarkable accuracy, the outliers are quickly pounced on in a bizarre attempt to discredit reality. Over the last few weeks several major news sources (Including Fox) have had to walk back stories, but that isn't really an evidence of fake news, it is evidence that the first draft of information is often wrong. In the army the saying is that "First reports always lie", it isn't a sign of malice, it is a symptom of reporting the first thing you see without the ability to validate the information yet. The professional thing to do is to wait until the story coalesces to make judgements and decisions.

I will grant you that the rush to publish a "Scoop" on the other networks can lead to sloppy reporting, things sometimes make it to air before they are properly vetted, and that is a legitimate area for concern. I will also grant that the media uses a shocking amount of weasel words and logical fallacies in reporting, which I also despise.

Examples of the above include attempts to get the viewer emotionally involved in a story "Imagine it was your Daughter" or "Your next door neighbor could be a terrorist" which appeal to the viewer's fears over reason and fact. They also tend to use a lot of misleading qualifiers "One of the biggest.." "A leading expert said" "Sources report" "A new study shows" and many other key qualifiers that are completely meaningless without further clarification. These are legitimate reasons to criticize the media, but it is NOT a valid reason to question the consensus facts of reality. The media is very careful with the facts it reports, and it is good about fixing itself when it messes up.

So be careful with drawing conclusions at the first report, take a good look with how those facts are being reported, but ultimately when they say a concrete fact, it is 99% likely to be true.

If that's what you think then you have all the qualifications to be a trump supporter/apologist.

10+ Year Old Account

They are fake news on your part. You are talking about a fucking koi pond and a writers twitter account, as an example of fake news. You do know that that Trump has called the sub 5% unemployment numbers fake news, with real number as high as 45%, until he started taking credit for it? You do know that Trump called the two years of breaking records on the Dow, fake news, until Trump could take credit? You do know that Trump, called Obama’s birth certificate fake news?

But, koi pond... twitter post... cool beans...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Some aren’t necessarily “fake” as more as they are sensationalized. And people lap it like a kitten laps up milk. Or as they say, drink it down like Kool-Aid. They can’t be bothered to see past the politics of the situation.

Cheers

Here's a post from the other thread detailing the latest batch of fake shit that Trump's put out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be a Trump rally without a bunch of blatant lies. Let's count 'em down!

1) "By the way, now that you bring it up, black homeownership just hit the highest level it has ever been in the history of our country. Congratulations."

Not even close. The record for pretty much everyone was 2004. While African-American home ownership did go up last year, it's still down about seven points from the highest level ever (49% dropping to 42%)

2) "Well, so far in 10 months we’ve passed more during this period of time than any other president in the history of our country and the second - let’s call runner up - is Harry Truman, was second."

Again, not even close. Whether you count major legislation or total legislation, Trump is not first by any realistic metric. Major, AP puts FDR and his New Deal, 14 major laws, in the first 100 days as the clear winner. Total, Trump is on a poor pace compared to recent history. At time of writing, Trump has signed 90 bills into law from the 115th Congress. That's on pace to be 203 in 2 years, and every single Congress since 1973 has passed at least 284, most of them 400+ -- even the Congresses which didn't last a full two years. Also, most of them have been one-page.

3) “He [EDITOR: Trudeau] said, ‘I’m telling you that Canada has a deficit with the United States.’ I told my people, in front of a lot of people, I said, go out and check - and he was right. Except he forgot two categories - lumber, timber and energy. Other than that, he was right. When you add them altogether we actually have a $17 billion deficit with Canada, right? So, he forgot a couple of categories that he didn’t want to mention.”

This is the closest Trump got on this list. Trudeau may have "forgot" a couple of categories, but so did Trump: services. Canada won by $12 billion in goods, but the US won by $24 billion in services. So even if he was telling the truth about Trudeau, he's still either wrong, or lying.

4) “They will lie and leak and smear because they don’t want to accept the results of an election where we won by a landslide.”

He probably should have said "electoral college". He still lost the popular vote.

5) “Since the election, we have created more than $5 trillion in new economic wealth just in the stock market alone. We’re not including real estate and other values, $5 trillion.”

The Federal Reserve does say $5 trillion. But, they do include real estate. Again, Trump is wrong or lying.

Also, the AP points out that 84% of the stock market wealth is owned by about 10% of the American people, most likely (I admit conjecture) the top 10%. Since that's also included, the figure -- even if it was honest, which it's not -- but even if it was, it'd be misleading to say the American people have actually seen this wealth. As has been discussed on these very forums, the stock market and the GDP are not the same thing.

6) “You know, we have factories pouring back into our country."

There is no information that backs this claim. Spending and constructions on new factories are both down, and they have been falling since 2015. Perhaps Trump should have said "factories are hiring more Americans since last year" which is true. But he didn't.

7) “By the way, wages - starting to go up. First time in 20 years - starting to go up. That’s all going to happen.”

2.5% is what Obama did last year. Trump is blatantly lying on this one.

Unless Trump meant wages were growing compared to inflation. Which didn't happen at all. So Trump would be lying either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    If that's what you think then you have all the qualifications to be a trump supporter/apologist.
    Before election... Hillary and Trump are the worst two candidates in US history... after the election... Trump is competent! Why is media fake!? Rigged elections!! Wait... something like that... everything is rigged against a billionaire oligarch, who became president with 0 experience, education or credentials. Mo money, mo problems?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

and? what happens when it's not "fake news"?

10+ Year Old Account
    A broken clock is right twice a day and whatnot.