Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I just miss Chris Metzen and his vision of WC.
    You mean the guy that was leader of the Teams that put Gnomes in?

Do you also hate DnD because Gnomes/Halfings exist in that. Or Tolkien stuff, since Hobbits are Gnomes with big Feet.

I feel like that instance with Gelbin was just a bone thrown for people complaining Gnomes did nothing. But other than that, what have they done? They're 100% comic relief unlike Goblins (who also have significant plot bearing).

Even their tech people claim is cool just seem so alien to the WC universe compared to the gritty and unstable Goblin work.
    Or the literal spaceships of the Draenei.

Oh.

Don't be hating on gnomes just because they don't fit into your perfect head canon of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    No Gnomes are the Superior race anyone who disagrees is wrong.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

You must be on drugs my friend. Metzen was fucking terrible. He even managed to make Thrall (I play Alliance by the way...) from a wise and enjoyable character into Green Jesus and then into a has been who has to cheat using magic during a duel... To the point where he can't even use the Doomhammer anymore.

Metzen had such a giant Horde boner they probably got rid of him because the faction imbalance threatened the health of the game.

Deleted
    Warcraft as a franchise is founded on badassery and rule of cool
    If you like those things (and other bigotries) try games like GTA or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Metzen was the mastermind behind WoD (it has a lot of those machoman things you seem to like) and look what happened to him.

Yeah.

Yeah, gnomes are useless. Good thing they are really easy to kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Gnomes were added to Warcraft solely because of a hasty, not well thought out decision concerning Goblins and faction loyalty. They're used as comic relief but otherwise Blizzard acknowledges their fuckup and practically doesn't treat them as canon with their irrelevance from anything major up to cinematics. I mainly find Gnomes offensive because Warcraft as a franchise is founded on badassery and rule of cool, something Gnomes are devoid of. World of Warcraft is founded on the same themes, but also obviously with the MMO aspect of creating your own, unique and awesome character that progressively gets stronger.

It just seems to be undermining everything when you play as a Gnome compared to the likes of Orcs, Tauren, Night Elves, or even Humans.
    No, it seems a silly idea to think so. Even as a melee, I could easily see a gnome knowing a weak spot to insta kill a bigger race.

And when it comes to magic well...the spells are gonna hurt the same weather a gnome casts them or an orc.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They're a slap to the face of all Warcraft is supposed to be.

Warcraft has, despite many emotional moments and tragedies, always had a good mix of humor, jokes and levity about it. I think they took it too far with Pandaria, but gnomes do belong, just like goblins. I have no interest in playing them, but they are certainly a part of Warcraft, maybe to counter the big, angry orcs and their lust for fighting, and the gloomy, gritty reality of the undead. I think 80% of gnome players are chibi fans that think they are cute, and the rest picked them as a joke for PVP and such.
    Mother pus bucket!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    the thing about thoese things is they're jokes or misc novelties and Blizzard has been doing those since forever pretty much. There's nothing outwardly comical or distasteful about how every other race is except possibly Pandaren.

Fun fact, Chris Metzen's vision of Warcraft also included elements of silly, light-heartedness. Do you not recall that you could click on the units over and over until they said goofy quotes for you? Or that sheep would explode? Gnomes and Goblins (and Pandaren) add crucial elements of humor into a world that would otherwise be struggling under conflict and pain.

Tl;dr: Metzen may have made some bad decisions, but Goblins, Gnomes, and Pandaren aren't among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyduke View Post
    You must be on drugs my friend. Metzen was fucking terrible. He even managed to make Thrall (I play Alliance by the way...) from a wise and enjoyable character into Green Jesus and then into a has been who has to cheat using magic during a duel... To the point where he can't even use the Doomhammer anymore.

Metzen had such a giant Horde boner they probably got rid of him because the faction imbalance threatened the health of the game.
    So he a giant Horde boner because he first made Thrall a demi-god, but then made him weak and a cheater, and in the end had to give up his hammer to go find himself again? Doesn't seem like Thrall came out of very well. The horde is also was also split in half, decimated and invaded while Metzen was in charge, and we also killed all the "original Horde" warlords, so not sure about that giant horde boner thing.
    Mother pus bucket!

5+ Year Old Account
    I find Gnome jokes to be far more palatable than Human/NE "badassery".

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    In all of my years here, or on the WOW General forums...

Nah. Not worth the infraction.
    Heh. I'm with you. This has to be one of the worst threads ever started on this forum.

Gnomes are #1.

There's nothing like a knee-high monk punching your legs until you are dead. And there isn't anything quite as satisfying as the tantrum thrown by Horde players when they are killed by a Gnome.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gnomes are fine.
    Blizzard just needs to start writing them properly and including them more.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Yeah, well, it's not just their opinion considering they gave reasoning to back up how they feel.

It's true that gnomes have historically gotten the shaft whenever it comes to lore. I mean, the most utilized gnome character is a fucking dragon that just takes the form of a gnome. It's also true that gnomes were never in the lore pre-WoW and were only added because Blizzard wanted the Alliance to have a "goblin".

To say that gnomes could use a much higher degree of utilization is not an untrue statement nor an opinion. It's pretty much just a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skyduke View Post

Spoiler: Metzen had nothing to do with the writing on Thrall becoming 'green jesus'. He just voiced the character.

Can you imagine if WoW actually took itself seriously? We'd never have that kodo from WC3 that eats so many mushrooms it explodes. Imagine if they tried to make the Void Elves *actually* dark and brooding, with no /silly jokes referencing how ridiculous they are?

Gnomes are pretty cool in my book, and yeah they've been in woW longer than half of the other playable races. Also, you can't use their lack of central story content as proof they're a "joke" race since they have equal story involvement as other races like Tauren (tauren have more or less been ignored outside of their starting zones since vanilla, same with gnomes).

The races that kinda irk me are Draenei and worgen mostly. Also the way Blizz had to force a lot of round pegs into square holes and band aid a ton of lore in order to make all the playable races fit into a 2 faction game.

Also the way they neutered some races with Night Elves being the most obvious one. Remember Nelves in WCIII? They were a female-dominated society with females filling all combat roles outside of druids. They were very primal and very savage and prone to violence compared to elves in other fantasy franchises. The WoW rolls around and they're neutered into the typical druidic hippy woodelf stereotype.

And WoW has never been super serious. The original Orcish Horde was heavily inspired by heavy metal and gay "leather daddy" subculture, hence the black leather and spikes and bulging cod pieces in a lot of metzen's early concept art. Warcraft has always had a ton of comical undertones and pop culture references. The gnomes aren't an exception, they fit in with everything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chris was fine with Pandaren. They were originally going to put in with Burning Crusade but for whatever reason they substituted draenai instead. That was part of an interview Chris did at Blizzcon with Direct TV when they introduced Mists. So whatever you think Metzen's vision of WC was it included pandaren.

Gnomes are fine. Silly to think that anyone is disrespecting WarCraft by playing one.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    I love it when a gnome crosses a puddle alongside me.
    I love it when the gnome warlock summons Jaraxxus.
    There are many ways in which gnomes are enjoyable, as long as they don't pop up too often. That's when the Punting Urge arises.