Thread: The Division

Picked it up during the free weekend on Steam. I'm having a good bit of fun just running around leveling and collecting all the random shit in typical Ubisoft fashion. I'm really excited to play the survival mode once I hit 30. Not sure I'll be able to really experience some of the group content since no one I know plays, but I already almost got my money's worth getting half way to level cap, so it wasn't a bad purchase. Setting is a huge part of why I like the game, and I love when a random blizzard shows up.

The character creation is atrocious though. I generally like to play hot chicks in my games, and this is the first time in a while that I had to go with a dude by default since the females were so ugly. Even Andromeda character creation was salvageable compared to this.

Used to play this alot when it came out for some time. But ever since that Patch where they changed stats on so many classes, i stopped caring forever about it after. And i am still pissed off alot on Ubisoft for ruining my tank class in that game today, since that Patch hitted.

Unless i hear they bring back the tank class to How it was before that class patch which i forgot what was called. I have no desire to return to it ever again anymore.

Maybe if they make a Sequel i'd be interested in the mean time, again.

I don't think you need to be 30 for Survival, though you do need the DLC to access it.

Most of the group content can easily be pugged, daily missions let you queue for a group directly from your map screen and you can get groups from the queue for Underground down in the basement where you queue for it. You can actually queue for most open world activities directly from the map.

And yeah, character models aren't great. I wish you could at least change faces (I don't recall the "younger" looking face when I first made my character) like you can with your hairstyle and the like, but oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what kind of builds do people run/recommend?

This is the first time I've played for ages, currently using 4 set Predators, Black Market AK-47 and Vector. Will probably change the SMG for a Marksman Rifle when I get a good one. I have all my stats (Firearms etc.) around 5000.

Any guide I see for PVE, they never mention the Predator set, seems only to be recommended for PVP. Thing is, I like it in PVE, it's nice putting a bleed on an enemy and moving to the next. I have got 2 drops of the classified predator set, sadly for pieces I already had, so no 6 set yet.

I am trying to get the Strikers set, but I am unsure if I am able to get the classified set in this global event.

When trying to find information about best Assault Rifle, the AK-47 is never mentioned. I think it's a great gun, but I never get any other Rifles to drop with good bonuses.

Trying to get my friends playing again, and now is the best time with the GE.

I know this is a looter shooter, but the amount of worthless crap I get is annoying.

Shield build (tank) is still viable for several patches now, no idea which one "destroyed" it. Was my main spec 1.5 till 1.7. It's even strong now but I grew tired of it.

If you dont have a 6 classified set any good PvE build requires the ninja bag exotic to enable wearing 3 + 4 piece set bonus. It only drops in the dark zone afaik.
    High end gear is totally useless unless you go for the crazy skull mc glove build.

Strikers can be found from world bosses, not sure what sets the GE caches drop. Looks like there are still no tech classified sets -.-

Best assault rifles from my viewpoint are the m4 lightweight and g36 (not military). Everything else is inferior precision and damage wise.

With the event modifiers full tech build is insanely strong, even too strong. Kinda feels like cheating when you wipe whole groups with chain reactions.

The Global event seems to be a good way to get exotics. It just pissed me off last night because I now have 3 mc gloves...I also got the new smg...house? From a 1 stage hard underground boss. I didn't even know exotics could drop like that. It was weird seeing a red loot glow. Haven't tried it yet, thought smgs suck now but I imagine they shred things up close. I want devils heel set.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    The Global event seems to be a good way to get exotics. It just pissed me off last night because I now have 3 mc gloves...I also got the new smg...house? From a 1 stage hard underground boss. I didn't even know exotics could drop like that. It was weird seeing a red loot glow. Haven't tried it yet, thought smgs suck now but I imagine they shred things up close. I want devils heel set.
    Oh snaps, I totally forgot it hit last night. What's the event modifier this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh snaps, I totally forgot it hit last night. What's the event modifier this time?
    strike I think? I'm a little unfamiliar with what they can be. first is they splode, 2nd it can chain maybe? 3rd you build up hits and splode? I tried a legendary mission on precision strike or whatever and we didn't make it very far lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    strike I think? I'm a little unfamiliar with what they can be. first is they splode, 2nd it can chain maybe? 3rd you build up hits and splode? I tried a legendary mission on precision strike or whatever and we didn't make it very far lol.
    Interesting. Guess I should quickly finish up my Destiny 2 weekly milestones so I can get a jump on this. Never spent too long in the game during the first event and missed any others they've done, and if the drops are as good as you're saying this is going to be a great opportunity to get some non-shit weapons and really set aside some time to start working on other gear sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Interesting. Guess I should quickly finish up my Destiny 2 weekly milestones so I can get a jump on this. Never spent too long in the game during the first event and missed any others they've done, and if the drops are as good as you're saying this is going to be a great opportunity to get some non-shit weapons and really set aside some time to start working on other gear sets.
    Yeah I don't know what all of that was the GE or just normal stuff. I thought Legendary missions were normal, but I hadn't seen any before last night. Also haven't seen an exotic drop from a mob in the underground (or anywhere) so I'm pretty unfamiliar with stuff. Though I was able to buy 3 of the GE crates with 2 chances at exotics with a couple hours of play time last night, as well as the exotic crate for my legendary completion. I'm tempted to buy the liberator but I wonder if it's really going to be all that better than my Urban MDR. I don't think I got a single classified set item doing all of the things .

Sigh, doing content with groups takes so much longer than solo, not really worth the time. Compared to challenge mode Lexington Event Center all the other content is way slower when farming GE credits. 20 waves resistance about ~300, survival just 170 each survival cache. Nothing compared to the 750+Boss credits from Lexington.

Classified Gear Sets of this event:
    -Classified Path of the Nomad
    -Classified D3-FNC
    -Classified Predator´s Mark
    -Classified Banshee´s Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    The character creation is atrocious though. I generally like to play hot chicks in my games, and this is the first time in a while that I had to go with a dude by default since the females were so ugly. Even Andromeda character creation was salvageable compared to this.
    This is a pretty common complaint. The females in this game are more hardcore/badass than hot. These aren't playboy covergirls or chainmail bikini ho's. They're hardened para-military in a post-apocalyptic setting. Personally I think it fits the setting.

Although I think you have a fair point. They really skimped on the character creation options. No facial sliders, very few actual options. Things like sunglasses being a permanent part of the character(?!). Even so...I think I'd want this lady shooting next to me in such a situation rather than some pretty face.

(This is my current character on the left. Tried to make her as much "don't F**K with me" as possible. My original character on the right, who's more girl-next-door).
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-12-13 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    This is a pretty common complaint. The females in this game are more hardcore/badass than hot. These aren't playboy covergirls or chainmail bikini ho's. They're hardened para-military in a post-apocalyptic setting. Personally I think it fits the setting.

Although I think you have a fair point. They really skimped on the character creation options. No facial sliders, very few actual options. Things like sunglasses being a permanent part of the character(?!). Even so...I think I'd want this lady shooting next to me in such a situation rather than some pretty face.

[IMG]snip[/IMG] [IMG]snip[/IMG]
    (This is my current character on the left. Tried to make her as much "don't F**K with me" as possible. My original character on the right, who's more girl-next-door).
    Meh, why not have both? Plenty of games with violent settings manage it.

I get your point about the setting, but it's not like there is perfect realism for the setting when you are unloading multiple clips into one enemy. If you're gonna be completely realistic, it's pretty unlikely that any significant amount of Division agents would even be women in the first place. Besides, badass chicks don't automatically have to be ugly with short hair by default.

I think cost cutting was the primary motivation as opposed to a design choice, which always sucks for a rpg. Easier to have an intern throw together a few hastily assembled templates then add a variety of options with full customization.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Meh, why not have both? Plenty of games with violent settings manage it.

I get your point about the setting, but it's not like there is perfect realism for the setting when you are unloading multiple clips into one enemy. If you're gonna be completely realistic, it's pretty unlikely that any significant amount of Division agents would even be women in the first place. Besides, badass chicks don't automatically have to be ugly with short hair by default.

I think cost cutting was the primary motivation as opposed to a design choice, which always sucks for a rpg. Easier to have an intern throw together a few hastily assembled templates then add a variety of options with full customization.
    I think it was less that, and more that Massive just didn't recognize that player customization was a thing people would go crazy about. It's a pretty big mistake, IMHO, for sure.

What surprises me is that more customization isn't available now, considering all the weapon and armor skins they're releasing now. A character customization option would make money, as would more face, hair, and skin/eye color options.

Anyway...yeah, some of the female faces are pretty rough. But I guess I don't really see it as being that big of a deal.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-12-14 at 12:23 AM.

I will admit when I first started, seeing how beautiful the game was and how much they put into it. When I went to make my character I am pretty sure an audible "the fuck?" was heard from me.

@Witchblade77 Just wanted to update on how I was doing to give you an idea of what to expect.

My new character is now level 24 and I'm doing the area of the map to the far SE, which is lvl 18-20. I actually still die pretty easily if I'm not careful, despite being 4 levels above the enemies. Although my gear is just whatever I find. I'm not using any crafted or vendor stuff, so you'll be better off in that regard.

Toughest enemies to solo are the heavy armored LMG guys. But with someone to flank for you they're probably a cakewalk.

All in all the worst part so far is occasionally walking back to where I died. I highly recommend using as many Dark Zone and mission entrances as waypoints that you can get to. Just using the safehouses is not enough.

@Witchblade77 Just wanted to update on how I was doing to give you an idea of what to expect.

My new character is now level 24 and I'm doing the area of the map to the far SE, which is lvl 18-20. I actually still die pretty easily if I'm not careful, despite being 4 levels above the enemies. Although my gear is just whatever I find. I'm not using any crafted or vendor stuff, so you'll be better off in that regard.

Toughest enemies to solo are the heavy armored LMG guys. But with someone to flank for you they're probably a cakewalk.

All in all the worst part so far is occasionally walking back to where I died. I highly recommend using as many Dark Zone and mission entrances as waypoints that you can get to. Just using the safehouses is not enough.
    thanks! I haven't done any solo playing since getting pc copies, as pretty much all my Divisioning was spend grouped with my SO lately (its so fun with the two of us, omg, feels great to play together again) didn't realize you could respawn at mission and darkzone entrances, even while dying on side missions? and yeah, having someone to watch your back is ridiculously helpful, especially on the protect supply drops and find and bring back supplies missions. alone I would usually have to redo them a few times, until I figured out where all the dropzones were and how to get to them quickly, but with two os us, which just split up and cover different supply drop, which makes it MUCH easier to keep them from getting destroyed. (and carrying supplies back to their case is like night and day, when you don't have to drop them and dive into cover every few seconds and can just keep bringing them over, while your partner lays down the cover fire)
    but aaaanyways :P I will say, i can see the difference in difficulty between solo and group a bit more now, but even so, just being able to each take a side and alternate drawing fire - makes a huge difference.

P.S. we've been sticking to dropped gear ourselves. haven't even crafted any mods, though I have been tempted, as backpack mods seem to be seriously scarce. so far so good though .

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    didn't realize you could respawn at mission and darkzone entrances, even while dying on side missions?
    You can't respawn at the DZ entrances unless you die in the DZ. Same for mission entrances. But you can fast travel to them from anywhere outside the DZ.

Sometimes it's a hell of a lot faster to hop to one of those spots instead of running on foot from wherever your last objective ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    P.S. we've been sticking to dropped gear ourselves. haven't even crafted any mods, though I have been tempted, as backpack mods seem to be seriously scarce. so far so good though .
    You'll get plenty of mods at level 30. Some you can craft, some can be bought for phoenix credits or DZ funds, but a lot will just be drops. There used to be YouTube channels and websites that tracked what was available each week from the various vendors. Not sure if they still operate though.

EDIT: You can fast travel to the actual DZ gates, not the spots where you climb in.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-12-14 at 07:39 AM.

You can't respawn at the DZ entrances unless you die in the DZ. Same for mission entrances. But you can fast travel to them from anywhere outside the DZ.

Sometimes it's a hell of a lot faster to hop to one of those spots instead of running on foot from wherever your last objective ended.

You'll get plenty of mods at level 30. Some you can craft, some can be bought for phoenix credits or DZ funds, but a lot will just be drops. There used to be YouTube channels and websites that tracked what was available each week from the various vendors. Not sure if they still operate though.

EDIT: You can fast travel to the actual DZ gates, not the spots where you climb in.
    oooh makes sense! and given how much I abuse fast travel already, this will definitely come in handy! thanks again oh and thanks for reccomending lmg. I found a decent one and been running ar/lmg combo and its just so... beautiful for my playstyle. LOVE IT.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-12-14 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Opened 35 caches as of yesterday (playing mostly solo, just doing Lex. No clear sky). Got to 6/6/5/4 with the classfieds thus far.
    The mask commendations are a LOT easier than the previous one. The clown mask was a bitch to get. It wen't 180 this time around lol. A bit too easy if you ask me.

Must say I'm totally digging the Striker set, replacing FM as my go-to set.
    With 43% DTE, 80% EAD and 650k-ish dps on a 100 stack Bullfrog I'm just shredding through stuff atm. I put 6k in stamina and Predatory on the Bullfrog to make the heal worthwhile. Using the Showstopper for hitting those 100 stacks in a few shots and it's game on. I'll be running with this setup till I have tried the upcoming AlphaBridge classified.

(PS I don't like PVP in this game at all, hence my awesome rank 2)

- - - Updated - - -

There used to be YouTube channels and websites that tracked what was available each week from the various vendors. Not sure if they still operate though.
    @Witchblade77 - https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/wiki/vendors