Page 38 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    The scenario you people keep peddling is that all our bandwidth is going to be sucked up and we're either going to have to pay exorbitant prices, or have slower speeds. If that happens, I mean in the real world, not just in your imagination, consumers would lose their goddamn minds, and not just on the mmo champion forum. The demand for service would be so massive new companies would be lining up to meet it. There is no way people are just going to take it on the chin and go backwards in time to slower speeds and more restricted access. Too much money would be on the line. The only way the situation could continue as you're describing it is if government restricts access to the market in favor of the big ISPs. Now that's possible, but it buggers belief you believe the same government is the means of preventing that from happening.
    Google Fiber was blocked/stalled.

https://consumerist.com/2016/09/20/c...-slow-it-down/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...lifornia.shtml

https://billfixers.com/blog/comcast-sues-nashville

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...utility-poles/

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...les/889313001/

A few articles showing this (some redundancy above). What is a startup going to do, when the big players will just sue to keep things status quo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post
    FCC regulations have always been consistent. This is the first time they’ve changed from net neutrality.
    except when they changed to net neutrality, all of two years ago.... closer to three but you get my drift.

You're really into butt stuff aren't you. Neither Comcast or Verizon have the power to prevent a competitor installing new infrastructure, and offering services to their client base. Local politicians on the other hand do have the ability to reject licensure and permits to do so, but yeah, let's expect those same politicians to save us. They care.
    I need you to understand how bad you should feel for how wrong and false this is. Really, unbelievably bad. Your soul should hurt for being so far off base.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    If not for the ACA she could have easily stayed open and done what she was doing. But we needed insurance and being self employed I get no benefits, so she had to go get a job basically just for the insurance. any pay she gets is gravy, This is what most Farmers and small business owners have their wives do around here so they can actually have health insurance. I mean I don't need it, but my kids do. If I go to the hospital its because I cut something off and am bleeding out or I am unconscious and cannot opt out.
    Being self employed you could apply for ACA.

Opening a business in a town of 2500 people was a really dumb idea and ACA is not the cause of it shutting down. Also if you two was not making enough then ACA would have been outright free.

Ya stop spewing bullshit, ACA wasn't the reason she lost her business. The choice you two made to open a business like that in a town of 2500 was.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Once again, that's not something that should be the responsibility of the employer. Putting that burden on them is exactly what I'm talking about. You may as well demand that they also build them homes, and buy them cars.
    Sounds like you want to back to the days of child workers, 12 hour work days, and no vacation? Afterall, it's not the employer's responsibility to do anything but make money for themselves. Workers are just another expendable factor of production, right?
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If you are running a business to give yourself a live, Your business should also provide a livable live to your worker's its that simple. Your business is making money off the hard work of the employee's. Why should the business gain everything and the workers get nothing.

That is the responsibility of the employer. By ur logic only those who own a business should be able to eat,sleep and shit.
    But there are no discounts for businesses like ours with fewer than 50 employees. so we cannot offer benefits, the best we can do is Aflack for our employees. Which is actually done more for me than any insurance ever has. and the hard work part is funny, most people want to sit on their asses and not work, Im lucky if all my employees show up on time let alone work hard all day.

You’re right, it’s the responsibility of the public through their representation in the government to make employers do that. Otherwise, there is nothing that keeps employers from paying the same wages as workers make somewhere like China.
    Or... it's the responsibility of consumers to not spend money at a business tat does not operate in the manner in which they approve.

Don't be so sure. Gamers don't monopolize the high bandwidth usage like we used too. Video streaming services like Netflix and Hulu are extremely popular. More and more sporting events are also being streamed. If bandwidth is significantly affected, these people will notice, and react.
    They will notice and react, but do you think they will demand their ISPs to make their netflix go faster, or will they go to their ISPs branded video streaming service?

Because throttling netflix to force consumers onto your own video streaming service is extremely anti-consumer, unless you're missing something?
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Opening a business in a town of 2500 people was a really dumb idea and ACA is not the cause of it shutting down. Also if you two was not making enough then ACA would have been outright free.

Ya stop spewing bullshit, ACA wasn't the reason she lost her business. The choice you two made to open a business like that in a town of 2500 was.
    I make too much to get free health care or even reduced costs. so this is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Or... it's the responsibility of consumers to not spend money at a business tat does not operate in the manner in which they approve.
    That would be great if a consumer had the choice of more than 2 ISP in their region.

This was a problem 10 years before NN.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

If you are running a business to give yourself a live, Your business should also provide a livable live to your worker's its that simple. Your business is making money off the hard work of the employee's. Why should the business gain everything and the workers get nothing.

That is the responsibility of the employer. By ur logic only those who own a business should be able to eat,sleep and shit.
    That's not my logic at all. The issue of pushing health care onto employers does not actually make a lot of sense when you look at things. You are adding an additional middle man where none need be. You are quite literally demanding that they pay for something, and by doing so, you are giving them tacit permission to be involved in such decisions. Why should an employer be involved in my medical decisions?

Damn man.. the way you word this really makes it sounds like you're against small towns growing and small businesses lol. It pretty much sounds like "They aren't NYC, LA or Chicago, so fuck them".

I know, and you should be raging against that, not the back and fourth of FCC regulations. I'd 100% support you if you did.
    And that's the problem, it has already happened. Were you raging against it?

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Sounds like you want to back to the days of child workers, 12 hour work days, and no vacation? Afterall, it's not the employer's responsibility to do anything but make money for themselves. Workers are just another expendable factor of production, right?
    What is this vacation you speak of, I work 12 hour days every day, me and my partner do anyway. But our employees get paid vacation and work 8-5. being a business owner has no benefits.

What is this vacation you speak of, I work 12 hour days every day, me and my partner do anyway. But our employees get paid vacation and work 8-5. being a business owner has no benefits.
    Sounds like you need to manage your time better. You know, as a business owner.

The fact always was that Republicans wanted to overturn net neutrality while Democrats were either open to or for net neutrality. The writing was on the wall in 2015 when all the FCC Republican members voted against net neutrality. Acting shocked that Republicans screwed you over because Democrats don’t have the power anymore to stop them is just ignorance on your part.
    You do know that all the members of that 5 person board was appointed by Obama? the only thing that Trump did was elevate Ajit Pai to chairman. You need to understand that the parties only use differences to distract you from the fact that they are selling the future out as fast as they can.

It's time to simply learn to live with less or no internet. Service providers are going to eat this up.

It completely sucks... electric companies generate electricity and sell it... water companies clean and filter water and sell it, gas companies drill and pipe to sell gas...

Internet providers do not create a single freaking thing. They simple create a deliver pipe. But now they get to charge based on what you access through it. It's ludicrous and I am definitely a conservative.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2017-12-14 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    No, I just want people to be responsible for their own actions. I want consumers to utilize the power they hold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    That would be great if a consumer had the choice of more than 2 ISP in their region.

This was a problem 10 years before NN.
    I have already stated my opposition to the current paradigm of government-protected monopolies and oligopolies.

being a business owner has no benefits.
    Remind me again how much disney paid for the rights to star wars.

And the rights to fox? It was over 60billion. Having intellectual property or a profitable business does have benefits sorry buddy

Finally ending the stranglehold on the internet. MAGA!