I'm sad Snoke wasn't Mace Windu

WOULD OF BEEN SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post

Did Vader do anything like that in ANH?

Why he lost to Rey is explained perfectly well in TLJ.

Vader displayed far less power in killing Palpatine than Kylo Ren did in killing Snoke. While both were killed while being distracted - overconfidence and hubris being the principle vulnerability of Big Bads in Star Wars - Vader just brute forced it, and it wound up mortally wounding him.

Again, try to imagine leaving Eps 4-6 with only what you learn from the movies. We don't know how the Empire came to be, only that it replaced the Republic and that Vader getting rid of the Jedi was an important component of that transition. The details are consistently explored later, because having long scenes of exposition is not entertaining, as evidenced by how much of them occur in the Prequels.
    Vader stopped blasters with his hand. Much more impressive than just simply pausing them. He also could force choke somebody he was no where even remotely near. But yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    That is so not lazy writing. Do you people even know what writing is?

Especially in a freaking Star Wars movie. There will be short stories, foot long Wookiepedia entries, comics, pictures, etc., depicting the history of Evil BB-8.

So I can see why old fans would be upset about how Luke was portrayed, even though I found it awesome. However, people being upset that Snoke was killed, a guy with three short scenes in TFA, because they had spend time making fanfics or theorizing about him, blows my mind.
    Snoke was the Supreme Leader of the First Order and an apparently strong Dark Side force user who was the master of Kylo Ren. He had shown his superiority in the Force, or at least his raw strength, by completely toying with both Rey and Kylo while in his throne room. The fact that Kylo uses a petty trick, USING THE FORCE, to kill Snoke without him being remotely aware at all is incredibly disappointing. There's no way someone like him would not have noticed him using the Force on something so close to him. It's just not believable that he wouldn't notice, or suspect, any subterfuge at all. It was a comically bad death, and regrettable because based on who he was, his position and the fact that even Luke was even wary of him, him having NO backstory is just a literary travesty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    Star Wars has never had great writing.
    Yeah, but this one felt... Contrived.

Don't get me wrong, it's not Midichlorians level of hamfistedness, but a lot of the characters and actions just feel meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Snoke was the Supreme Leader of the First Order and an apparently strong Dark Side force user who was the master of Kylo Ren. He had shown his superiority in the Force, or at least his raw strength, by completely toying with both Rey and Kylo while in his throne room. The fact that Kylo uses a petty trick, USING THE FORCE, to kill Snoke without him being remotely aware at all is incredibly disappointing. There's no way someone like him would not have noticed him using the Force on something so close to him. It's just not believable that he wouldn't notice, or suspect, any subterfuge at all. It was a comically bad death, and regrettable because based on who he was, his position and the fact that even Luke was even wary of him, him having NO backstory is just a literary travesty.
    Disagree. The Emperor had no real backstory before the prequels as well. And I totally bought the moment, especially because of the talk of hubris earlier on which had rang true because we've seen many times to be the downfall of people in the other movies.

I just had a lively discussion with my dad who took (to an extent) the side of people disappointed in Luke's and Snoke's deaths, and I came away thinking the "passing of the torch" theme of this movie was even more solid and well though-through. Every single plotline works towards this theme, it is kind of incredible. I firmly believe history will be kind on this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I agree with you totally.

And to those saying it is the same thing as Sidious death. Not remotely comparable in terms of setting. Sidious was in the middle of using force lightning to kill Luke. Vader was also a faithful servant of Sidious for what, 20-30 years? And as far as we know, never tried to take Sidious out. It was a spur of the moment out of no where.

Kylo, was apprentice to Snoke for a shorter time period (that we know?). Kylo also says that Snoke senses the conflict of the light in Kylo, so he would be aware that Kylo is struggling with the dark side. Snoke was also simply just sitting there, doing nothing but reading the mind of a guy who was turning a LS on him. Snoke knew the importance of the situation of asking Kylo to kill Rey after Rey is attempting to turn him to the LS. Literally the entire first movie was Kylo struggling with his faith and Snoke doesn't notice it at all while he is READING HIS MIND. Makes very little sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Disagree. The Emperor had no real backstory before the prequels as well. And I totally bought the moment, especially because of the talk of hubris earlier on which had rang true because we've seen many times to be the downfall of people in the other movies.

I just had a lively discussion with my dad who took (to an extent) the side of people disappointed in Luke's and Snoke's deaths, and I came away thinking the "passing of the torch" theme of this movie was even more solid and well though-through. Every single plotline works towards this theme, it is kind of incredible. I firmly believe history will be kind on this movie.

It is not a patching of the torch is Snoke is an entirely new Character and in no way related to the previous trilogies. That iss not passing the torch, that is attemping to hand a torch to a new villian and yanking it away at the last second. It is also bad to pass the torch to knew characters unless they plan on making another 3-4 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    The First Order apparently had enough resources and people to build Star Killer base and man numerous star destroyers and at least 2 ships roughly the size of super star destroyers. That is hundreds of thousands of people. Sending out a large squadron of fighters and bombers to completely wipe out the rebel ships would have been worth the potential loss of pilots. I single cruiser backed up by a transport and a medical frigate are not exactly a game changer.
    ..............yeah they had those resources...And they could easily make more stuff and troopers in just a year...did you even read what i wrote?!?!

It took decade's to build a fleet like that.....main reason why it took 29 years for the first order to take their move.....you know...time to build stuff like that... :S.....And if they sent it in like you suggest they will loose allot of stuff. And that is not going to be easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan11d7 View Post

It is not a patching of the torch is Snoke is an entirely new Character and in no way related to the previous trilogies. That iss not passing the torch, that is attemping to hand a torch to a new villian and yanking it away at the last second. It is also bad to pass the torch to knew characters unless they plan on making another 3-4 movies.
    Actually, it IS a passing of the torch in a story sense, just not in a meta-sense (in that one case). Removing The Yoda of this trilogy (Luke) and the Emperor (Snoke) was a very smart move, it completely leaves the door open for anything in the third movie, instead of slavishly retreading the same steps forever.

Actually, it IS a passing of the torch in a story sense, just not in a meta-sense (in that one case). Removing The Yoda of this trilogy (Luke) and the Emperor (Snoke) was a very smart move, it completely leaves the door open for anything in the third movie, instead of slavishly retreading the same steps forever.
    Snoke/=emperor, if that is your view, then Kylo=Emperor

This movie is not a Star Wars movie. It is someone's bad attempt at a Star Wars movie. So, disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    This movie is not a Star Wars movie. It is someone's bad attempt at a Star Wars movie. So, disappointed.
    I kind of agree with the people saying it’s more of a marvel movie than a Star Wars movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I kind of agree with the people saying it’s more of a marvel movie than a Star Wars movie.
    The intro felt more like a marvel movie at least.

Snoke/=emperor, if that is your view, then Kylo=Emperor
    He was making the archetype comparison. He wasn't calling Snoke the Emperor. Or did you somehow also think he meant Luke was literally Yoda?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    He was making the archetype comparison. He wasn't calling Snoke the Emperor. Or did you somehow also think he meant Luke was literally Yoda?
    Sure why not

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I don't see it at all. Because of the humor?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure why not
    It's good to know what I'm arguing against here. Makes me feel better.

Deleted
    Only that first intro scene seemed like something from a marvel movie, because of the humour. Dont see it in the rest of the film.

- - - Updated - - -

It's good to know what I'm arguing against here. Makes me feel better.
    Or I just don't feel like arguing with you over your opinion?

Trying to validate your argument by insulting...Credibility gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Only that first intro scene seemed like something from a marvel movie, because of the humour. Dont see it in the rest of the film.
    That sort of seems to be Poe's shtick though; sassing the bad guy. His sarcasm in the face of death is honestly probably a coping mechanism.

Plus any opportunity to make Hux look like a fucking idiot is great in my books. I hate that character.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I know it's family fare as well as fan fare, but I wish they would take more chances with the story.

For example, I want to see the story where Rey accepts Kylo's offer, believing that she has the power to change him. They kill Snoke together and vow to secretly destroy the New Order from within. Kylo asserts his authority as the new leader, while Domhall Gleason's character stews in the background, biding his time. Meanwhile, Kylo and Rey begin their journey together - no more masters, just two people learning from one another to balance the Force. She helps him to control his rage, he teaches her to channel hers. Do they succeed? Does one succumb to the other's will? Who knows, but it's a concept worth exploring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    That sort of seems to be Poe's shtick though; sassing the bad guy. His sarcasm in the face of death is honestly probably a coping mechanism.

Plus any opportunity to make Hux look like a fucking idiot is great in my books. I hate that character.
    I didn't dislike the scene, i thought it was funny. However it did remind me of humour from marvel films.