Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It should be noted that all promotional screenshots of Nightborne (males and females) for BfA have the same stance as NPC Nightborne. They stand with their shoulders back, their arms wider apart, and their feet spread differently than Night Elves. I've only seen them standing mostly the same as Night Elves in Wowhead's dressing room.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

This is so painfully obviously done so that they have to do less work on refitting old armor models.

I would like to say DUHx10,006

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    It should be noted that all promotional screenshots of Nightborne (males and females) for BfA have the same stance as NPC Nightborne. They stand with their shoulders back, their arms wider apart, and their feet spread differently than Night Elves. I've only seen them standing mostly the same as Night Elves in Wowhead's dressing room.
    Thank goodness. They need to have their proper posture and stance.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Indeed, everyone should be aware that the WoWhead Dressing Room is not loading the Nightborne idle stances correctly. Whatever/however named is/is saved wowhead is still loading the night elven one.

The best way to see for oneself how the PC model stance looks is to look at the PTR or videos of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is so painfully obviously done so that they have to do less work on refitting old armor models.

I would like to say DUHx10,006
    Not sure if you're referring to the idle stance animation discussion, but if you are... an idle animation has absolutely nothing to do with refitting old armor models.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Also when it comes to faces almost every allied race still doesn't have facial rigging done hence why they don't have that 'nightborne feel' yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Not sure if you're referring to the idle stance animation discussion, but if you are... an idle animation has absolutely nothing to do with refitting old armor models.
    The shape of the face and head is entirely different. Remember when they updated the human and blood elf character models and suddenly all the helms clipped? Or am I missing something

I'm fairly certain they said they will have the same idle animation, but the wowhead model viewer currently uses the night elf one. I too would like if the eyes were slightly narrower, but other than that, I'm quite happy with the player versions. I just wish we had more hairstyles for the females.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomind View Post
    I'm fairly certain they said they will have the same idle animation, but the wowhead model viewer currently uses the night elf one. I too would like if the eyes were slightly narrower, but other than that, I'm quite happy with the player versions. I just wish we had more hairstyles for the females.
    Yes, ingame, both the allied race and NPC type use the same idle animation. WoWhead just wasn't able to adapt it yet. According to Perculia, they're working on it.

To me, the allied race version looks like the npc version's daughter. I don't particularly mind a younger long for Nightborne, but for me, their main appeal is their kind of aged, gaunt and regal beauty. The more slender faces, with high cheekbones and which are somehow also smooth and unblemished added to that idea. The more narrow eyes as well.

The allied race version is almost the exact opposite. The facial features are surprisingly round, the eyes are wide open and they do actually have those wrinkles and laugh lines. All faces have those for the females, I think. Whereas the NPC faces are surprisingly smooth.

It might just be my perception, but the NPC Nightborne's head seems more long and slender, while the allied race model has a bit more of a Blood Elf look to it.

Honestly, this could mostly just be my own perception, and once they fix the eyes, they will look almost identical, but I feel like more changes need to be made aside from just fixing their eyes. I know for sure, though, that I want one face for the female without all the wrinkles near the lips or nose. I know that kind of counteracts my claim that I want them to look more aged, but as you can see above, even without the wrinkles, the NPC version looks more mature.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to (badly, don't laugh at me) work the NPC Nightborne eyes onto the allied race face with photoshop. It was a bit rushed, but..

It does immediately change the whole look, as was already obvious, but I still feel like something is wrong. (or rather, not quite right..)

However, I couldn't find an allied race Nightborne model with the same gaunt facial features as the npc one, so maybe it'll look a lot better on on a player Nightborne with that face texture.

I still would like those lines around the nose to be less prominent on the player version, though.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yes, ingame, both the allied race and NPC type use the same idle animation. WoWhead just wasn't able to adapt it yet. According to Perculia, they're working on it.

To me, the allied race version looks like the npc version's daughter. I don't particularly mind a younger long for Nightborne, but for me, their main appeal is their kind of aged, gaunt and regal beauty. The more slender faces, with high cheekbones and which are somehow also smooth and unblemished added to that idea. The more narrow eyes as well.

The allied race version is almost the exact opposite. The facial features are surprisingly round, the eyes are wide open and they do actually have those wrinkles and laugh lines. All faces have those for the females, I think. Whereas the NPC faces are surprisingly smooth.

It might just be my perception, but the NPC Nightborne's head seems more long and slender, while the allied race model has a bit more of a Blood Elf look to it.

Honestly, this could mostly just be my own perception, and once they fix the eyes, they will look almost identical, but I feel like more changes need to be made aside from just fixing their eyes. I know for sure, though, that I want one face for the female without all the wrinkles near the lips or nose. I know that kind of counteracts my claim that I want them to look more aged, but as you can see above, even without the wrinkles, the NPC version looks more mature.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to (badly, don't laugh at me) work the NPC Nightborne eyes onto the allied race face with photoshop. It was a bit rushed, but..

It does immediately change the whole look, as was already obvious, but I still feel like something is wrong. (or rather, not quite right..)

However, I couldn't find an allied race Nightborne model with the same gaunt facial features as the npc one, so maybe it'll look a lot better on on a player Nightborne with that face texture.

I still would like those lines around the nose to be less prominent on the player version, though.
    I think with your edit they look much better tbh. The eyes ere the problem for me atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I think with your edit they look much better tbh. The eyes ere the problem for me atm.
    Yeah, the eyes do a lot to really change the entire feel of the model.

Did another edit, this time with the WoWhead model viewer, because that gives me a bit more control.

New allied race model with NPC model eyes on the left. On the right, the regular allied race model without any edits.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2017-12-17 at 03:26 PM.

in game, the nightborne have the same idle stance as the npcs. so that's just an issue with wowhead's model viewer.

the face however, that is the problem. those eyes need to be narrowed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    in game, the nightborne have the same idle stance as the npcs. so that's just an issue with wowhead's model viewer.

the face however, that is the problem. those eyes need to be narrowed at least.
    Yep, and the eyelashes need to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    The thing is Horde doesn't want nelves like ally wants belves. Ally is A OK with getting belves as is albeit with blue eyes.
    Most Horde from what i've found would like at least the eyes to be not so open, a different idle stance, they can be almost the same as nightelves for sure. but they lose their flavor when they lose their smugness. Atm they kinda looked like shocked nelves with tattoos.

It's best to voice concerns now way before we're in the " it's just alpha/beta/ptr/live/it'lll get hotfixxed" phase. Don't want to be stuck with 3 faces for each character.
    Night elf is my favorite model in the game and I've wanted to be a night elf lock forever now. That dream died when demon hunters came about though(and I'm also horde so), so getting these nightborne is awesome. I wouldn't at all have a problem with them just being mostly recolored night elves.

That said, more options is always good. This is also early so, we'll probably see more changes as time goes on.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

A last tiny edit. This time in order to get rid of the lines around the nose, mostly, as the NPC Nightborne don't really have them either, or - at least - not as emphasized.

It makes me like the face a bit better, too.

The NPC face for reference.

Deleted
    Okay, now that I finally reached my 10 post count I can post what I originally wanted.

So I was messing in photoshop too, and accidentaly created a nightborne Cate Blanchett. Would make me re-sub, in fact.

Damn, I'm getting back-up, haha. Nice edit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Damn, I'm getting back-up, haha. Nice edit.
    Thanks, you did inspire me, of course. The eyes make all the difference. I did change the lips a little, and made the chins less protruding and the cheekbones a little more visible as well, but all these could be fixed with the textures as the model already has the same face shape. We'll see.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've only seen them standing mostly the same as Night Elves in Wowhead's dressing room.
    It needs to be stressed that the versions on WoWHead are very obviously unfinished, missing several customization options and not having the facial feature geometry fully implemented, just the textures; with the new models, changing face is also supposed to change the geometry.

There is still plenty of time for them to do things like tweak the faces and give them unique idle stances, which I think everyone obviously wants, and which shouldn't be a huge art task by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It needs to be stressed that the versions on WoWHead are very obviously unfinished, missing several customization options and not having the facial feature geometry fully implemented, just the textures; with the new models, changing face is also supposed to change the geometry.

There is still plenty of time for them to do things like tweak the faces and give them unique idle stances, which I think everyone obviously wants, and which shouldn't be a huge art task by any means.
    Yep. Beyond the fact that the WoWhead dressing room Nightborne male and female lack the unique idle stance that they do have on the PTR, the Nightborne men on the PTR also have the different earring options, which WoWhead has only implemented for the females at the moment.