Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think that real reason is very simple. Blizzard loves pretending to be original. And high elves as they are, are one of most generic and uninspired things in whole warcraft mythos (and thats actually pretty impressive).

That being said, i wouldnt mind them getting void herpes from alleria.
    Don't forget that Blood Elves seem to have lost the initial edge they were sold with anyway;what with the restoration of the Sunwell. Given they feed on a font of holy and arcane power, the High Elves are irrelevant as traditional elves. The Blood Elves ARE the traditional elves now. It's a good niche. Someone has to do it. And it is interesting that in this universe, it is the Orc allies who fill that role.

Given the Void Elves are shadow based and alliance aligned, they are perfect foils for the Blood Elves going for.

The High Elves are utterly irrelevant in every single conceivable context.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2017-12-18 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I think that real reason is very simple. Blizzard loves pretending to be original. And high elves as they are, are one of most generic and uninspired things in whole warcraft mythos (and thats actually pretty impressive).

That being said, i wouldnt mind them getting void herpes from alleria.
    Yeah in all seriousness, they better kill them off in BoA, so we can finally find peace. Void Elves are their replacement, I'm sorry for the people who really wanted High Elves, but it's just not going to happen, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    Yeah in all seriousness, they better kill them off in BoA, so we can finally find peace. Void Elves are their replacement, I'm sorry for the people who really wanted High Elves, but it's just not going to happen, ever.
    I'm not. They spent thirteen years waiting for a race to be playable when it was right in front of them for eleven.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the same question at first, OP, so I sat down and mulled it over. Best I can figure, it's because it would damage the high elves' cultural identity. The main schism that split up the high and blood elves was that the high elves refused to feed their addiction with fel magic, so it's not a big logical jump to say they would also be strongly against using the void to do so. On the other hand, shortly after the Sunwell's corruption, the blood elves were probably desperate enough to try damn near anything. Including tapping into the void. From what we see in the PTR files regarding Alleria's visit to the Sunwell, it stands to reason a similar event occurred after the then-blood elves began channeling the void to sate their addictions, leading to exile, where they further immersed themselves in the void and were recently brought back from the brink of madness by Alleria (who had mastered the energies that overwhelmed them).

Mind this is all 100% supposition through context clues; the void elves badly need more lore behind them, as much as I love the idea of the Alliance getting void-corrupted elves as a counterpoint to the Horde's fel-corrupted elves.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I had the same question at first, OP, so I sat down and mulled it over. Best I can figure, it's because it would damage the high elves' cultural identity. The main schism that split up the high and blood elves was that the high elves refused to feed their addiction with fel magic, so it's not a big logical jump to say they would also be strongly against using the void to do so. On the other hand, shortly after the Sunwell's corruption, the blood elves were probably desperate enough to try damn near anything. Including tapping into the void. From what we see in the PTR files regarding Alleria's visit to the Sunwell, it stands to reason a similar event occurred after the then-blood elves began channeling the void to sate their addictions, leading to exile, where they further immersed themselves in the void and were recently brought back from the brink of madness by Alleria (who had mastered the energies that overwhelmed them).

Mind this is all 100% supposition through context clues; the void elves badly need more lore behind them, as much as I love the idea of the Alliance getting void-corrupted elves as a counterpoint to the Horde's fel-corrupted elves.
    It wasn't about fel.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

It leaves the door open for actual High Elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    No, it really doesn't. If you think Blizzard is going to add a third variety of thalassian elf to the game and a second variety to the Alliance when their parent race is on the Horde, you are deluding yourself.

Void Elves killed the idea of Alliance High Elves stone dead.

- - - Updated - - -

A fel corrupted Elf is known as a Felblood Elf

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Felblood_elf

Blood Elves were never fel corrupted. They are more fel touched.

This contamination will fade in time as they are gorging on a font of holy light energy.

The Void Elves still function as a counterpoint to the Horde's light based elves.

There are 4 elf races now that is more than enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    And by leaves open you mean slams them shut, locks them, barricades and throws the key away ?

Weren't Blood Elves Originally High Elves that were outcast because after the destruction of the Sunwell (initially) they began to feed off of Mana Wyrms and Fel which was Taboo in Society?
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    Weren't Blood Elves Originally High Elves that were outcast because after the destruction of the Sunwell (initially) they began to feed off of Mana Wyrms and Fel which was Taboo in Society?
    High elves are the outcasts, over 90% of the remaining race renamed themselves blood elves to honor the fallen during Arthas's campaign. The split was over killing mana wryms, the average blood elf/ high elf had no idea about the fel.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The split was really small to be honest. Only the Vegan Elves of Quel'lithien were opposed to draining Mana Wyrms and they're all dead now. Every other High Elf is someone who remained with the Alliance after the second war (And thus never experienced the fall of Quel'thalas, much like Alleria). In theory the void elves might see their ranks boosted with High Elves as they see Alleria, the one who inspired them to join the Alliance in the first place, embrace the void.

Honestly the High Elves still around are the outcasts of outcasts, seeming to have some weird fondness for Humans which no doubt helps their likely declining birthrates. 1500 High Elves seems incredibly optimistic. Especially when you consider many of them aren't even members of the Alliance, like that High Elf pirate in Ratchet who wants you to kill Theramoore soldiers.

Deleted
    Because the reason we still have high elves is because they refused to join the blood elves in sucking magic from unsavoury sources such as animals and fel crystals. It would be incredibly stupid and out of character if they just suddenly went ''oh let's slurp up pure evil made manifest''

Blood elves meanwhile have a history of not giving a frigg and getting high on every magic school known to man

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    It wasn't about fel.
    I stand corrected, but the gist of my point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    A fel corrupted Elf is known as a Felblood Elf

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Felblood_elf

Blood Elves were never fel corrupted. They are more fel touched.

This contamination will fade in time as they are gorging on a font of holy light energy.

The Void Elves still function as a counterpoint to the Horde's light based elves.
    Well, that's like saying the orcs weren't fel-corrupted because more advanced stages of corruption exist. We're at least a few generations of orcs in since the Second War and they're still green; odds are the blood elves are still going to have green eyes and reddish skin several generations down the line, which to me says corrupted (though yes, they're on M'uru and A'dal's high-efficiency detox plan). So the void elves still work as a counterpoint to that on either front--either on the void/fel point, the 'pulling back before you're too corrupted' front, or the void/light front.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted

Well, that's like saying the orcs weren't fel-corrupted because more advanced stages of corruption exist. We're at least a few generations of orcs in since the Second War and they're still green; odds are the blood elves are still going to have green eyes and reddish skin several generations down the line, which to me says corrupted (though yes, they're on M'uru and A'dal's high-efficiency detox plan). So the void elves still work as a counterpoint to that on either front--either on the void/fel point, the 'pulling back before you're too corrupted' front, or the void/light front.
    Most Belves weren't as far gone as the Velves.

Otherwise yes. The Belves are basically High Elves at this point (just allied with the Horde).

10+ Year Old Account

The key difference though is that a Blood Elf and an Alliance High Elf are virtually indistinguishable now, the eye colour is the only give away and I suspect we will get the option for yellow and blue eyed blood elves (blue eyed blood elves are a personal hope of mine. Not because I would take the option myself, I like the green, but because it gets rid of the singular insignificant physical difference pro High Elf fans have pointed to) once enhanced customization options are brought in.

Void Elves on the other hand have gone through a transformative process, meaning they are not longer High/Blood Elves but something different. Close, but different.

This is because, whereas the Blood Elves 'sipped' fel to stave off the addiction, the Void Elves have taken the void within themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    Most Belves weren't as far gone as the Velves.

Otherwise yes. The Belves are basically High Elves at this point (just allied with the Horde).
    Which is the real cause of this debate.

Remember, this was never, ever about the race. It was about the faction. People who want Alliance High Elves WANT to prove there is a difference, no matter how minute, between High Elves and Blood Elves because if they do, if they establish there is a difference, then they believe they have more cause to want playable Alliance High Elves.

If you accept the truth that High Elves and Blood Elves are the same, then you realise making the same race playable for a second time is completely redundant on all levels.

If you want to play a traditional tolkienesque elf, you can. You just have to go Horde to do so.

Void Elves are a compromise. The model, but the lore and cosmetic options changed to provide a crucial degree of difference that would justify their inclusion as an ALLIED race but not a core race.

It actually makes sense. High elves turning to the void all of a sudden wouldn't make sense, unless they'd get forced into becoming void elves. Blood elves on the other hand are known for their magical stunts and controversial behaviour, which is why void is right up their alley.

Crazy. This is new and exciting, I definitely have not seen this topic before!
    Sealth [Cenarius] Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This thread is essentially asking the same questions as another ongoing and current thread, please continue the conversation there as opposed to making a new one. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead