Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Epics were very rare compared to today. It's basically raining epics now. Do some WQs, epics. Do some m+s, epics. You shard almost all of them as they are downgrades most of the time. Great system to provide gear to casuals but still very disappointing.
    I know, that is what I meant. But the value of gear was different back then than it is now. Heck, even in raiding a blue could be an upgrade. That is about how it is built up now. Getting the right piece of gear now is a rare thing too.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I remember owning in bg`s on my rogue. Stun locking.... hardened snowballs. Lying in wait with those snowballs next to cliffs and bolting ppl off the edge, beautiful. With it being realm to realm only, rivalries formed between ppl playing, espicially the same class. I myself had and still have a collection of night elf ears from my rivals. I also had a resto drood who had strength on her gear. Raiding MC on my rogue I had to have like 250 fire resist or something sillly like that to be in the raid past Garr. I also had a mage. For my mage it was a different story. She would always be the guy teleporting to the front to go outside with the lock so he could make a portal to summon...outside. No summoning stones, no ports in instance. Oh ya and all you did at the start of the raid is hand out food AND water. Mages would split grps up and we had to trade food and water to out our grps. And all classes wanted different combinations...2 water 1 food, 2 food no water....etc. Mind you the items are summoned in individual stacks, no tables. Oh ya and 2 of the fights in there my main priority was to DISPELL kjrbijhgkf. Well, at least I could block the bomb, oh wait heh

Not much comes to mind; the game is far better now. I do miss the extremely rare world BoE epic. I recall getting the Wall of the Dead on my paladin. Didn't realize it was a tank item, I was a holy paladin, but I needed it, because purple shield! Still in my bank to this day.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

The old talent system and hybrid specs. This new one is total rubbish.

Random buffs from passers by, spontaneous grouping for quests (without the automated group finder), and staying in group for several quests and having a chat, the relevance of gear drops and quest rewards, the 'gz!' in groups when you leveled up as it was much rarer, the relevance of crafted gear, the general lack of the extreme rush mentality ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    The old talent system and hybrid specs. This new one is total rubbish.
    Yeah be cookie cutter or bad was totally a great system. Sure you could do whatever you want, but you were going to be bad doing it. You're just falling for the illusion of choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Setting an infernal loose in a random Alliance town and trying not to let it kill me in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob View Post
    When was the last time you equipped a green-quality item? When was the last time you killed a mob, looted a "Rusty Fedora of the Bear" or something-or-other, and actually considered equipping it? Those actually used to be useful. Now all green items are automatically vendored and all our non-instance gear comes from quests. That might be why purples got more common: we essentially lost a rarity tier.
    It's the EXACTLY the same thing now as then. If a piece of gear is useful, you equip it. If it isn't you don't. The color of the fucking label doesn't matter and it certainly doesn't change the utility of a given item.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    It's the EXACTLY the same thing now as then. If a piece of gear is useful, you equip it. If it isn't you don't. The color of the fucking label doesn't matter and it certainly doesn't change the utility of a given item.
    And yet people gripe about purples being handed out like candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    I don't hate vanilla, I am giving people the realistic expectation of what vanilla actually was from an actual vanilla veteran.

I have a problem with people misrepresenting history and how the game actually was then, your one belittling comment isn't going to change that.
    So everyone else who also played Vanilla since day 1 is misrepresenting history, but you're the only goy around these parts with accurate, sensible, forthright, and a completely unbiased outlook. Okay.

Being able to pick a playstyle and not having to constantly change talents or specializations.

DISCLAIMER: I didn't technically play Vanilla, just early BC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Warlocks wanded a lot leveling
    Life tap +drain life, why would anyone ever wand?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkoo View Post
    Being a warrior tank who was happy to pug out of trade chat it was great once people knew I knew my shit that they would just whisper me before spamming trade to see if I was upto a run.

This created a sense of community that I feel retail currently lacks a bit, although I have yet to have a bad pug experience in Legion after returning from a 5 year break.

What did you love that don’t happen anymore?
    i miss all the old rpg aspects the game don't have anymore, stats, mechanics, professions,etc all the thing that connected mmo to pen and paper rpg and aren't there anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

I have a rather rare, although maybe not unique, experience back in the day that you will never have nowadays.

During the summer me and a friend had a LAN Party with just the 2 of us when my parents were away and we were leveling some alliance characters in the middle of the night. We ran into some other random guy around Velen's tent, at Zoram Strand. Like us, he was smoking weed and just enjoying the game.
    We decided to just sit down and chat while enjoying our smokes until the sun rose over the ocean.

It was something that I've held dear about the 'old-school' WoW. Because it forced you into the world and to meet people.

The feeling of having no idea the direction the game would take from there, the idea that it could grow and change and become something even better.

That feeling is pretty much gone now, since maybe Cata for me, i feel like i pretty much know exactly what is coming next, and each expansion is bassically just 'more of the same'. Im not saying that same thing is BAD, just it has become very clear there will not be any dramatic shifts in the tone of the game, or gameplay in general.

About the only thing I miss about the vanilla community is being able to shit on horribads, loot ninjas and gankers.

Not a very healthy community tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Gameplay was much more laid back, because you auto-attacked pretty much every mob from 1-60.....
    God and this 'loot=rare' crowd. Seriously, there is rare loot. Go get it. I will never understand this concept of 'lots of loot=bad', when the reality is 'lots of loot=variety', and in an MMO with 6 secondary stats and 35 different specs you fucking need variety.

Shit, vanilla had even MORE stats, just less variety and less specs. But I get the feeling you're the kind of person that's alright with a level 45 staff being BiS for feral druids and other stupid design decisions like that.
    Once again this loser shows up in a thread to tell people their ideas, memories, opinions, and games they like are shit. Can someone just ban him already?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    Lots of things mentioned here happened to me a lot during wotlk, not so much right now, I wonder if its because I have changed or the game's.
    It's the game... some of the retail fanbois who come into the Classic forums to shit sling don't want to admit it, but retail WoW is at an all time low in sub numbers and fun factor. Why else are they caving to the Classic crowd after their infamous "you think you do but you dont" superiority complex.

The most fun I've had in a long time was watching that guy have to eat his words in the follow-up interview. Bahahaha.

Deleted
    Oh, sorry. I should have mentioned that 90% of what you'd be doing on the majority of melee specs was just auto-attacking. But seriously though, thanks for pointing out that one clearly satirical comment meant to illuminate just how fucking horrible playing anything melee in vanilla was, you know, because I was there.

Call me wrong all you want, auto-attacks were anywhere between 60% and 90% of any given melee class' damage back then, especially when leveling up. It was fucking awful. Also needing to level first aid on a class that can heal itself just because you deal so pitiful damage outside of auto-attacks (windfury much?), that was pretty much enh shaman in a nutshell.

Also warrior before victory rush. Ehl oh Ehl. Suck down those pots and bandaids like you're a burn patient in the trauma ward.
    I totally agree, fuck that last part was funny.

I don't hate vanilla, I am giving people the realistic expectation of what vanilla actually was from an actual vanilla veteran.

I have a problem with people misrepresenting history and how the game actually was then, your one belittling comment isn't going to change that.
    If you think melee dps randomly autoattacked you don t seem like much of a veteran.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Not much comes to mind; the game is far better now. I do miss the extremely rare world BoE epic. I recall getting the Wall of the Dead on my paladin. Didn't realize it was a tank item, I was a holy paladin, but I needed it, because purple shield! Still in my bank to this day.
    If the game is better now why did vanilla have way more subs? WoW lore went to shit and they turned it into a casualfest. Just about every good feature from vanilla is gone

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

If the game is better now why did vanilla have way more subs?
    ^This.

Haven't seen a retailer able provide any sort of answer for this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    ^This.

Haven't seen a retailer able provide any sort of answer for this yet.
    They ll spout some bullshit about how old timers have a family and quit, ignoring how if vanilla hooked 8 mil people up current day wow, with a built playerbase, should have no issue doing the same.