Poll: Would you mind if Blizzard added achievements to Classic WoW?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Classic Achievements

Achievements were added to WoW in 3.0. Now, personally I am in favor of a WoW Classic that doesn't add QoL changes besides obvious bugfixes, etc. But achievements got me thinking... I don't think the addition of achievements would affect any of the gameplay or experience, but I'm sure people could argue otherwise. I'm honestly interested in what people think about this and why.

Deleted
    In b4 "Vanilla stays vanilla GTFO go play retail" or "This will be a slippery slope"

I do not want anything related to achievements, unless it's like Feat of Strengths. The whole thing that is wrong with achievements is that they're some sort of needed doing retail content atm. It doesn't matter how you get it, as long as you get it. I can see things like achievements and ilvl beeing a big problem in pugging classic content. If content like Scholomance, with 10+ bosses is pugged people might only want players with epic-gear to carry them instead of building a tight community and helping eachother.

There was nothing wrong with adding achievements in november 2008, it's the playerbase that made it mandatory to pick the quickest way without any obstacles or resistance.

LFM scholo link [Scholomance] + ilvl 60 or higher

PS: I also pray they block anything related to DBM or fight-predicting addons. I want to use my eyes knowing what to do instead of relying on an addon telling me I am standing on something bad
    Last edited by mmoc80711df9dc; 2017-12-21 at 09:48 AM.

It would take time to implement. Im against it for no other reason than its unnecessary.

Deleted
    Pretty valid arguments!

I could accept achievements under a few conditions.

1. They don't unlock any rewards like titles or mounts.
    2. There are no achievements for raids or getting to certain gear levels. I don't want any of the "link curve or gtfo" bullshit we have on live.
    I overlooked the impact of achievements. I definitely wouldn't want people to ask for achievement links in order to join groups. That'd lead to very non-classic gameplay. In fact, I remember people often lying about bosses they'd cleared in order to get a spot in PUGs. Finding out during a dungeon run that your tank doesn't know the fights he claimed to know, was a vanilla experience for sure.

Aight, you've already changed my mind on the matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post

2. There are no achievements for raids or getting to certain gear levels. I don't want any of the "link curve or gtfo" bullshit we have on live.

I love Vanilla. And I've thought about the achievement system in vanilla numerous times. I thought about how much I would benefit from having the achievement system in vanilla for a multitude of reasons. One being able to track my progress and in vanilla and all the time I want to put into would be nice to see what I've accomplished and what i have not. Kinda a carrot on a stick if you will. And i enjoy that aspect the achievement system gives.

However, for that second reason you listed. . .That is the one reason I have come to fucking loath the achievement system for. People should be able to link an empty achievement and the community should embrace you and help you move forward. Not this "Link achievement or GTFO" mentality that helps no one grow.

@OP No I could never support a achievement system in vanilla because i feel it hurts the community then helps it. As much as i may personally enjoy it.
    Last edited by shifu; 2017-12-21 at 12:41 PM.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

I don't really want achievements in the game itself - I know from a personal perspective that it influences the way I play games - whereas you want people to feel free to wander around the world and do stuff that doesn't necessarily have a reward for it.

I'd be fine with achievements. I like keeping track of how many quests I have left in zones and exploration and there's no practical way to do that without either having addons or achievement tracker.

But I also have no problem with QoL changes like AOE looting and sparkly quest objectives that were added later in the games lifespan. I enjoyed playing classic a lot but lets be real, there needed and does need to be some improvements.

Achievments is not a QOL feature we need. It influences the way you play too much, wouldn't be "vanilla".

Quote Originally Posted by DysprosiumDy View Post
    Achievements were added to WoW in 3.0. Now, personally I am in favor of a WoW Classic that doesn't add QoL changes besides obvious bugfixes, etc. But achievements got me thinking... I don't think the addition of achievements would affect any of the gameplay or experience, but I'm sure people could argue otherwise. I'm honestly interested in what people think about this and why.
    People will just say "no then it's not vanilla" and whine throughout the whole thread. Personally I don't care if they add systems that are only for QoL, like Achievements, Duel Spec, or Quest Trackers. I'll play if they do or don't, so it doesn't matter to me.

No, because they weren't in Vanilla. Again another stupid thread of "i want i want i want"

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't make sense, would be a waste of development time to create a new base of achievements for this outdated setup.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Content... yes, give us achievements.
    Gear... no, I'll pass.
    Rewards... cosmetic only.

Deleted
    I would love that! Only feature I miss on private.
    BUT since the grand majority seems to be against it I would say no.

Quote Originally Posted by shifu View Post
    I love Vanilla. And I've thought about the achievement system in vanilla numerous times. I thought about how much I would benefit from having the achievement system in vanilla for a multitude of reasons. One being able to track my progress and in vanilla and all the time I want to put into would be nice to see what I've accomplished and what i have not. Kinda a carrot on a stick if you will. And i enjoy that aspect the achievement system gives.

However, for that second reason you listed. . .That is the one reason I have come to fucking loath the achievement system for. People should be able to link an empty achievement and the community should embrace you and help you move forward. Not this "Link achievement or GTFO" mentality that helps no one grow.

@OP No I could never support a achievement system in vanilla because i feel it hurts the community then helps it. As much as i may personally enjoy it.
    But here's the flip-side of that argument. In Classic, your groups are going to be limited to your realm, and as a result, you'll have a server reputation that negates the need for an achievement; whereas, on Live, your groups are comprised of people from multiple realms via the Group Finder.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    Content... yes, give us achievements.
    Gear... no, I'll pass.
    Rewards... cosmetic only.
    Cosmetics would still be a no go for me.
    Okeay being geared at best in every slot is freaking ugly in so cases it still defines you character. Personally it's my attack or run trigger in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    No, because they weren't in Vanilla. Again another stupid thread of "i want i want i want"
    Your opinion of what should or should not be in WoW: Classic is irrelevant. Also, once again, Blizzard isn't giving us a Vanilla version of WoW; they're giving us a 2018 version of the Vanilla experience in WoW, i.e. WoW: Classic, so to be frank, the "purists" should get over their disdain for the community's constant requests for minor changes. Instead, the discussion should be centered on whether the change is too much or whether the change could add value to the game.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2017-12-24 at 12:27 AM.

Deleted
    But here's the flip-side of that argument. In Classic, your groups are going to be limited to your realm, and as a result, you'll have a server reputation that negates the need for an achievement; whereas, on Live, your groups are comprised of people from multiple realms via the Group Finder.
    Agree and that's one of the great comunity aspects off vanilla.
    We had Nirma the troll, expexx the ninja and Robbeiscool the Noob.

- - - Updated - - -

Your opinion of what should or should not be in WoW: Classic is irrelevant. Also, once again, Blizzard isn't giving us Vanilla WoW; they're giving us a 2018 version of Vanilla WoW, i.e. WoW: Classic, so to be frank, the "purists" should get over the constant requests for minor changes. Instead, the discussion should be centered on whether the change is too much or whether the change could value to the game.
    I consider myself a purist, yet I agree with you. I don't want mayor gameplay changes but even if it gets released with sprinkles, chocolate sauce and strawberry flavour I would play it. The extend for me would be flying and heirlooms.

The thing I am most scared off is feeling like a superhero kicking everything in the ground with my godmode ability.
    Last edited by mmoc5dbd52a5f1; 2017-12-24 at 12:32 AM.

On a side note - and this is why I support discussion versus the mindless ranting by certain posters, at the beginning, I was for the inclusion of dual and/or tri-specialization, but then a poster made an excellent comment... dual and/or tri-specialization removes the "I'm an Arms Warrior or Fire Mage" aspect of the game. To me, that was an excellent point, and a result, it changed my feelings on the subject.

P.S. Priest leveling in Classic... wand... bubble... DoT... wand... wand... wand... prey for the death of the PvE mob... drink... repeat.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2017-12-24 at 12:33 AM.

Deleted
    On a side note - and this is why I support discussion versus the mindless ranting by certain posters, at the beginning, I was for the inclusion of dual and/or tri-specialization, but then a poster made an excellent comment... dual and/or tri-specialization removes the "I'm an Arms Warrior or Fire Mage" aspect of the game. To me, that was an excellent point, and a result, it changed my feelings on the subject.
    Personally I can't decide, I want it cause I feel the pain of it on private but on the other hand this. Your character is way more defined with 1 spec. The issue for me is pvp/pve changing. It is one or the other. Combat rogue pve/pvp

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Priest leveling in Classic... wand... bubble... DoT... wand... wand... wand... prey for the death of the PvE mob... drink... repeat.
    're ps: Hi priest, let's group up and I'll spam sinister strike. Welcome to vanilla. O and yes, use your wand. Things tend to run off.

Exactly how I feel too, which kind of makes the whole achievement system pointless for Classic realms. Literally anything that could be used as a metric shouldn't exist, which doesn't exactly leave much for the system.