Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    "/whisper <name> <surname>", "/invite <name> <surname>". Works like that in XIV and GW2.

Which is easily fixed by having options that hide guild tag, title, or even surname.
    im just asking for using a space bar in name.
    Like you => FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

You saw? you used it on FFXIV and GW2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Bigus Dickus.. here i come :-)
    omg i lol'd so hard.... Incontinentia Buttox would be thrilled

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quenthel View Post
    You saw? you used it on FFXIV and GW2
    I was pointing out to FelPlague how whispering and inviting would work with a space/surname.

I'm in favour of having a surname, and not even for RP reasons. Having surnames (or even a space) makes it much easier to name a character on one of the higher populated realms.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yes, they should make it baseline in the game.

and curse client is sketchy as fuck. i've had friends that had no addons for most of their gaming life and then what happens when they download curse and get addons? hacked.

even me, i downloaded curse to get fucking minecraft mods. what happens a couple months later? hacked.

so no, addons are sketchy as fuck and i will never trust them.
    Yeah no curse client doesent get you hacked...
    One of the things if it literally cannot get you hacked because the files only run once you launch your charecter, they CANNOT effect your battlenet or login file, and the files cannot run outside of wow executibles. It is most likley people being idiots and getting malware.

<been using mods since vanilla wow and have never been hacked. (Well i did once wen i was younger but that was because i fell for the "log in here cause your account has been comprismised" but i got my account back no problem and all my stuff back)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    I was pointing out to FelPlague how whispering and inviting would work with a space/surname.

I'm in favour of having a surname, and not even for RP reasons. Having surnames (or even a space) makes it much easier to name a character on one of the higher populated realms.
    The issue we have running now is everyone wants differant things from surnames, some saying anyone can select any surname they want, so someone can use the same surname as you as it has no lock like normal names, and normal names will still be locked, this will just be cosmeitc.
    then we have others saying it shoudl be across al lcharecters
    and others saying it should just be a space in your name, and others saying the whole TRP/MRP addon should be added to the game by default.
    etc
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    The issue we have running now is everyone wants differant things from surnames, some saying anyone can select any surname they want, so someone can use the same surname as you as it has no lock like normal names, and normal names will still be locked, this will just be cosmeitc.
    then we have others saying it shoudl be across al lcharecters
    That's just overcomplicating things, just make it similar to XIV. If the combination of the forename/surname isn't it use, allow its use.

Using my XIV name as an example, "Rintha Elenah", that specific combination is unavailable to other players, but someone could create a character named "Rintha Turan" or "Reno Elenah" and they'd be just fine.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

I always felt like server name was kind of surname but I guess it helps my two servers are actual WoW surnames.

I think having a unique single name per server is pretty dated. Try picking a short, simple name on a well-populated server and you'll understand. Adding a surname that's well-designed (allows most people in your circle to just use the first name to refer to you), would be nice, and it might help reduce the proliferation of special character names which can be very difficult to enter (especially if the first character is special so you can't even auto-complete it).

I also wouldn't mind having casing in names (but not case sensitive) because sometimes a compound name looks funny without it. It would be abused no doubt and we'd have LeGoLaSTHeCaPsLoCkAbUsEr but again, not any worse than using special characters currently.

Don't kid yourselves though, doing it right would be a pretty significant re-engineering task for Blizzard, and you don't want them to just hack it in without a good design.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Surnames? YES PLEASE!

I'd even take it a step further and have blizz ripoff- I mean, no, screw it; yes rip off- the legacy (I think that's what it's called) system from swtor. Where you can actually set your characters up in a family tree with relations and whatnot. To the best of my knowledge it has no impact on actual gameplay; making it optional, but would be a "neat little extra".

Though I agree with the above poster- not if it would take resources from "actual" game system development.
    yes! i'd love for them to rip that off, it was fun SWTOR explaining how all my alts are connected, from friends to lovers to enemies to slave basically.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

What do you think if we could use a Last name and a first name for our character ?
    Like Quenthel "Baenre" for mine.
    Sure why not... This way, everyone can have a first name they want without using some special characters. And this would be a good way to remove realms (let's be honest, realm integrity is dead and outdated at this point... just let people play, trade, join guilds with anyone they want) as it would remove name conflicts for the most part.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    That's absolutely nonsensical. Following this logic I'm related to a MLB pitcher (I'm not), a movie director (again I'm not), a voice actor (surprise surprise, I'm not), a family known for their pretzels and chips (if only I were), and a family that owns a funeral home (which; you guessed it, I'm not).

Surnames (family names as you put it); much like given/first names, can be changed, taken or made regardless of relation.

OT

I play XIV as well as this, I see no harm in it. As others have said it opens up more avenues for different names.
    You have to reemmber wow is a very differant universe then our universe, last names are kept, and dont really repeat,
    (Also btw if you have the last name as someone else, you usually ARE related to them, just very, very far back in your family line)
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

because if someone has the same first name as you on another server does not matter, but what is the fucking point of a last name if everyone can have the same one. the point of a last name is to dictate a family name, but if everyone can take your family name.
    What a very boring fake criticism. Do you have anything else, or...?

10+ Year Old Account
    becuase then you run into issues of how do you whisper someone?
    Right Click -> Whisper

Aside from wanting to whisper a random 4 continents away, which didn't message you first you can basically whisper through any part of the interface now :|

Not an RPer, but I would absolutely use surnames on my characters if that were an option.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Yeah. We need to be able to put spaces, apostraphes, and hypens in our names.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

What do you think if we could use a Last name and a first name for our character ?
    Like Quenthel "Baenre" for mine.
    We sort of already do, our last name is our 'family' aka server name.

Your's truly

General Schwarzkopf Caelestrasz the First.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

what?
    since when has an addon risked your account security...?
    and anyone who wants to have first/last names they bassicly require trp/mrp, if they dont have it no one will talk to them.
    should blizz make trp/mrp base line in the game?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i guess space bar would be fine?
    I don’t need to know much to know that your entire argument is based off of a contrarian attitude.
    All you’re saying is “nobody wants it. Names too long. Just get TRP.”
    What you’re meaning to say is “I don’t want it. I don’t want to type it. I hate roleplayers.”
    once upon a long time ago, the evil flesh overlords took over the peaceful skeleton people of earth, giving them malicious thought and evil sinner hair and student loans

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    No thanks. It was insanely obnoxious in FFXIV, I don't want it here as well.
    How? I've used surnames in GW1 and GW2 for over a decade and never had issues on my end or anyone elses.

OT: I think this falls into the category of Blizz refusing to update the game to a modern standard. Just like we have a pitiful hilariously bad character customization compared to anyone else out there..

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this would be a fine feature to implement. An optional surname to add to your player name would be a fun idea, maybe it could be like how titles work, except you could choose it and be able to alter it whenever you like. And it wouldn't need to interfere with how people communicate, either. For example, if your name was Quendylin Felswarmer, then people would only need to type in "/invite Quendylin" in order for the game to know who you're talking about.

Although, since this feature would most likely only be useful in RP servers and doesn't really affect the QoL of the main game, I doubt it'll be a feature they add in anytime soon. Besides, XRP/TRP/MRP does serve that basic function on top of basically anything else RPers need, so it's not like the RP community won't be able to survive without it. I still think it would be a fun idea if Blizzard ever did add it. It would also be nice for Blizzard to cater a bit more to RPers as well, or even encourage other players to engage in that community somehow.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

5+ Year Old Account
    Plox Brozzard read this!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They already have battletag
    Which is not public.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

It's mandatory. If you play on a large server, the only names that aren't already taken are Tferrowhfz or Uksgbdsuriu, and even those aren't guaranteed.