Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

[Discuss] World of Warcraft Ocean: Does it ever exist?

There are several named seas across Azeroth but does an Azerothian Ocean ever exist? Was the then reknowned lake of Well of Eternity upon imploding on itself, now as we know as Maelstrom, can be considered as one?

Comment below!

Can you elaborate you your question?

Do you mean as a Zone ingame, or just a ocean you can Travel yourself between continents, or just in Lore?

Deleted
    .... What?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Azeroth as a planet is inhabited by human race and the upcoming maritime nation of Kul'tiras and Zandalar will be introduced next expac, will Azeroth finally have a named ocean?

We all know that the world of Azeroth and as a planet have named several seas i.e. The Veiled Sea, The Great Sea, The South Sea, however, there is no named ocean in Azeroth. Not even a single one. If you think about it, the only saline water conjuction is the Maelstrom and yet it wasn't even mentioned as an ocean or part of. So, does it mean Azeroth is a planet without even a single ocean?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Can you elaborate you your question?

Do you mean as a Zone ingame, or just a ocean you can Travel yourself between continents, or just in Lore?
    I'd say both. A place of reference/interest and also as a zone you can visit.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2017-12-24 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    We all know that the world of Azeroth and as a planet have named several seas i.e. The Veiled Sea, The Great Sea, The South Sea, however, there is no named ocean in Azeroth. Not even a single one. If you think about it, the only saline water conjuction is the Maelstrom and yet it wasn't even mentioned as an ocean or part of. So, does it mean Azeroth is a planet without even a single ocean?
    I think in that regard, "Ocean" and "Sea" may be interchangable. (Correct me if I´m wrong, but what does make an Ocean an Ocean, and not a sea?)

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    I think in that regard, "Ocean" and "Sea" may be interchangable. (Correct me if I´m wrong, but what does make an Ocean an Ocean, and not a sea?)
    According to Google a sea is a body of water that is partially or heavily surrounded by land. Looking at Azeroth's world map, however, shows that none of the seas are even remotely enclosed by any land masses so in this situation I think you're right in that ocean and sea, for WoW, are interchangeable.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    According to Google a sea is a body of water that is partially or heavily surrounded by land. Looking at Azeroth's world map, however, shows that none of the seas are even remotely enclosed by any land masses so in this situation I think you're right in that ocean and sea, for WoW, are interchangeable.
    If it was, a seas is a body of water that is partially or heavily surrounded by land, how come the nomenclature and noun usage of ocean as seas wasn't even mentioned in-game? For me Tanaris now has it's own sea. I'm not sure if Vashj'ir is even considered located at an ocean floor, not a sea floor due to the depths of that zone or even Abyssal Maw Neptulon's Elemental realm.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2018-01-30 at 03:41 AM.

If it was how come the nomenclature and noun usage of ocean as seas wasn't even mentioned in-game? For me Tanaris now has it's own sea. I'm not sure if Vashj'ir is even considered located at an ocean floor, not a sea floor due to the depths of that zone or even Abyssal Maw Neptulon's Elemental realm.
    Not even sure what you are trying to ask me.

The best guess is that Blizzard is riding the fence on if we have a complete map of Azeroth at this time. They probably aren't sure if they want to introduce more continents on "the other side" of Azeroth, or to just link the Forbidding Sea and the Veiled Sea. Its a grey area that gives them room to do more stuff in future expansions. You cannot get an answer at this time. Sorry.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Question: How about Maelstrom. Kezan is an Island within Maelstrom's Territory. In our real world map, there are several chains of islands scattered across the Pacific Ocean. So how come an ocean, again not even just a single one, in WoW doesn't exist?

We do have forms of water in WoW like Booty Bay.Yes it is a Bay situated at which exact sea..There is Isle of Quel'danas and a Lake within Moonglade, not sure if there are named springs, rivers, or falls.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2018-01-30 at 03:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are oceans, they're just named Veiled Sea, Great Sea, Forbidding Sea, etc. They just don't really have proper names like 'Pacific' or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are several named seas across Azeroth but does an Azerothian Ocean ever exist? Was the then reknowned lake of Well of Eternity upon imploding on itself, now as we know as Maelstrom, can be considered as one?

Comment below!
    I can imagine the bodies of ocean having various names, just not really known much about due to, well, our lack of traveling the seas. We have the current named ones;

• Forbidding Sea
    • Great Sea
    • South Seas
    • Veiled Sea
    • The North Sea
    • The Frozen Sea
    • The Mistveil Sea
    • The Westersea
    • The Coral Sea

Elemental Plane
    • Cataclysm Abyssal Maw

Draenor (Destroyed)
      Devouring Sea also known as Barrier Sea (Destroyed)
      Shadowed Seas (Destroyed)
      Zangar Sea (Transformed into Zangarmarsh)

Alternate Draenor
      Warlords of Draenor Barrier Sea
      Warlords of Draenor Colossal Depths
      Warlords of Draenor Evanescent Sea
      Warlords of Draenor Frostbite Deep
      Warlords of Draenor Iron Sea
      Warlords of Draenor South Sea
      Warlords of Draenor Tanaan Channel
      Warlords of Draenor Zangar Sea
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for supplying a list of several known bodies of large water.

What do you think? If two seas merge or meet at one point, can it technically be called an ocean? Does that section or spot deserve to be given a new name?

Assuming ocean are way deeper than sea, can Vashj'ir be considered as ocean as well?
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2018-01-30 at 12:56 PM.