Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Bono: 'Music has gotten very girly'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42502453

U2 frontman Bono has criticised what he says is a lack of rock and roll in today's music.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, the singer said: "I think music has gotten very girly.

"And there are some good things about that, but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment - and that's not good."

He added that one of his sons, Elijah, "believes that a rock and roll revolution is around the corner".

And the singer said he agreed with his son that the genre "will return".

Bono explained: "When I was 16, I had a lot of anger in me. You need to find a place for it and for guitars, whether it is with a drum machine - I don't care.

"In the end, what is rock'n'roll? Rage is at the heart of it. Some great rock'n'roll tends to have that, which is why The Who were such a great band. Or Pearl Jam. Eddie has that rage."

The singer also spoke cryptically about a near-death experience.

"People have these extinction events in their lives; it could be psychological or it could be physical. And, yes, it was physical for me, but I think I have spared myself all that soap opera," Bono told Rolling Stone.

"Especially with this kind of celebrity obsession with the minutiae of peoples' lives - I have got out of that. I want to speak about the issue in a way that lets people fill in the blanks of what they have been through, you know?"

But he added: "People have had so much worse to deal with, so that is another reason not to talk about it. You demean all the people who, you know, never made it through that or couldn't get health care!"
    When I think 'manly music' U2 isn't exactly my immediate thoughts lol Also wtf is manly music

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    > but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment - and that's not good."

lolwhatispunkrock

The best part with at least modern pop music is I remember being made fun of for listening to electronic and dance music in the 90s and early 2000s only for basically everything popular now to be made in the same vein and it's suddenly cool.

Like come the fuck on. I got bullied for liking things ranging from Depeche Mode to Daft Punk to the plethora of DJs, especially European ones, then it was like one day everyone started imitating it and those acts started to become cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42502453

When I think 'manly music' U2 isn't exactly my immediate thoughts lol Also wtf is manly music
    Rock is dead. All Hail Metal!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    > but hip-hop is the only place for young male anger at the moment - and that's not good."

lolwhatispunkrock
    Seriously. Punk, Metal, Hardcore...guess these things don't exist.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    The best part with at least modern pop music is I remember being made fun of for listening to electronic and dance music in the 90s and early 2000s only for basically everything popular now to be made in the same vein and it's suddenly cool.

Like come the fuck on. I got bullied for liking things ranging from Depeche Mode to Daft Punk to the plethora of DJs, especially European ones, then it was like one day everyone started imitating it and those acts started to become cool.
    That's unusual because in the UK Dance was huge in the 90s and 00s, it was actually the cool music

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Rock is dead. All Hail Metal!

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously. Punk, Metal, Hardcore...guess these things don't exist.
    Metal is just loud noise and BO

10+ Year Old Account
    That's unusual because in the UK Dance was huge in the 90s and 00s, it was actually the cool music

- - - Updated - - -

Metal is just loud noise and BO
    **GASP**!!!!

No really though, some dudes at metal shows really could use a lesson in grooming and self care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about music trends or rock n roll, but I do find it kind of sad that instruments seem to be far less prominent in the music scene these days.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    lolwhatispunkrock
    Leftists can't be manly, duh.

A shame no one told Chuck Ragan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe in the UK, but in general in the U.S., if a guy was listening to dance music in the 90's, he was seen as feminine/gay by his overly masculine peers. I was one of those who listened to electronica in the 90's, but it more like Hardcore and Gabber.

The frontman of U2 saying music is girly is...ironic.

U2 is girly music Bono.
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting that Bono is calling other music "girly". U2's crap is pretty cringy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about it, it's been that way for years, the 90's was very populated by boy bands and even the girl bands ... you really think guys listened to that stuff? The pop music market has always been aimed at girls or guys who maybe like that shit, I aint gonna judge. But its mostly aimed at young girls. :P

It's the same today with it's now pop/rnb radio friendly stuff. It's not my cup of tea, I stoped listening to raido play music for years.

Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    The frontman of U2 saying music is girly is...ironic.

U2 is girly music Bono.
    To be fair anything U2 post 1999 has been shit :P

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    No one is making music like Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, Aerosmith, etc. That’s what he means. Music is made in a lab today to appeal to the masses.
    Depends where you are finding music, there's a good lot of music out there, rock music especially, but radio doesn't play it. You have to discover it yourself now days, and it sucks. It also sucks that wee wont get bands with the success of the bands you mentioned because radio wont play them... thats the real sad aspect.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-12-28 at 08:20 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    **GASP**!!!!

No really though, some dudes at metal shows really could use a lesson in grooming and self care.
    I actually do like some Metal but overall the scene isn't really my cuppa plus it seemingly aggrivates my tinitus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    No one is making music like Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, Aerosmith, etc. That’s what he means. Music is made in a lab today to appeal to the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    I don't really care about music trends or rock n roll, but I do find it kind of sad that instruments seem to be far less prominent in the music scene these days.
    This is only relevant to the Top 100 music. Traverse Youtube for a day looking for indie, punk, hardcore, metal, and even hard rock. You will see how prevalent instruments are in music still.

Mass Marketed music is made in a studio by engineers. It is made specifically to make money, not to be challenging or interesting music.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Manly music is bands like Metallica, with lyrics that tackle issues men don't usually speak much about.

Such as living life as a Table. A very under addressed topic.

I just want people to start playing instruments again instead of pushing buttons. I think it's really sad.

Mumble rap is the next genre of music.

Or how Wiz Khalifa would say "Mmahm mamdeg gaga lllamu poop". Words to live by.

Deleted
    Maybe in the UK, but in general in the U.S., if a guy was listening to dance music in the 90's, he was seen as feminine/gay by his overly masculine peers. I was one of those who listened to electronica in the 90's, but it more like Hardcore and Gabber.
    /shrug

Acid House and Rave was massive in the UK, pretty much anybody under 25 listened to it. Pop was also popular but overall Dance was everywhere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I wouldn't say it's too girly, but definitely too poppy. Sure there is still punk, metal, and others but nothing really good. Mostly just the same bands from 30 years ago like U2 still playing their 3 decade old songs.

I've been wanting a new artist that is really good lyrically even if not that great musically. I've always enjoyed music that actually has a story to tell or pushing some perspective most can't see without music. I've been waiting for the next Rage Against the Machine, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, Sublime, or similar for almost 10 years. It would seem that brand a music can't get a good foot hold in today's music industry. Or there simply hasn't been any break out artist and we keep getting industry pop singers who look nice and can sing, but there music has no depth.
    I offer you Devin Townsend. I shouldn't have to list anyone else, but i'll give you a few more for extra credit.

'The Weakerthans'
    'This Town Needs Guns'
    'Tangled Hair' or 'Colour'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    I just want people to start playing instruments again instead of pushing buttons. I think it's really sad.
    They do!!!! Just not those on major radio stations. Those are just outlets for profitable music. Not for good music.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do we expect coming from the biggest #2

To many "Boy Bands" making music for young girlz & snowflakes