Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    As I said, active moderation against TOS violators (gold buyer and gold sellers and bots) will be enough.
    I actually think you are correct on this. In the past, there were so many servers, that blizz could never have someone just sitting around reading all the town chat looking for chinese selling gold. But classic will have what ... 2, maybe 3 servers? Should be easy.

Deleted
    wow classic will have tokens as it will have the report system.

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    Im 75% sure blizzard will implement the wow token for classic.

it keeps gold sellers off the servers. and it nets blizzard more money. its a win/win for everyone.
    The lack of gold in vanilla was a big part of the game it impacted so many things. The amount of gold you would get would be tiny though and as a result kill off the idea on its own.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

blizzard never ever will release classic servers without token. whoever this thinks is crazy naive, since they earn 5-7 bugs for every token ever passed the AH, without any effort. its money for nothing, without china farm problem. never EVER they will not include token. NEVER.

They could certainly implement some system where you buy a token in retail for $20, put it up on the AH for whatever the going rate is there and at that time you choose if you want retail or classic gold (some conversion rate would be used - e.g., 150,000g retail or 50g classic). Someone on retail pays 150,000g for it, gets a month of game time, and then you get 50g that you choose which character it goes to when you log into classic. It would take some work, but I'm sure it would be doable.

That said, I think adding it to Classic would be a mistake. It would remove a huge portion of the sense of achievement related to certain milestones in the game. Getting your epic mount after farming and saving gold for months felt very gratifying. Was the process of getting the gold *fun*? No. But the feeling once you got the mount was fantastic. Adding wow tokens into the game would essentially remove that feeling because you'd just spend $20-40 and then buy your mount. No effort required.

Respec'ing became cost prohibitive because gold was scarce. Was it annoying not being able to easily change specs? Yeah, sometimes it was. However, it was a huge contributing factor to how the game was back then. Making it easy to get gold would have a huge impact on the game. Since the goal is to let people experience WoW as it was originally, I think a change like this would be counter to that effort.

The above doesn't discount the fact that gold selling was a legitimate problem. I suspect there are better ways to counter gold spammers now than there were then though. Account security is definitely a problem though because people *will* buy gold. Not having a legitimate way to do so will definitely decrease the number of people doing it dramatically.

TBH gold sellers were never that much of an issue. The REAL problem were always the boosting & lvling services (which often ended in account theft), which are still common on live.

Having a token you can buy with r/l money that can generate 500g for you in game would completely destroy vanilla's economy and experience.

1000g for epic mount? Nah I'll just sell 2 tokens.

Jesus. Keep that shit far away from Classic. That is PAY TO WIN.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tokens have no place in classic.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said, active moderation against TOS violators (gold buyer and gold sellers and bots) will be enough. Requiring an ACTIVE BFA sub in good standing will further police the problem with gold spam.
    people still sell gold and account leveling services now; why would you think those would "magically go away" in classic? ESPECIALLY when gold and leveling is far more "valuable" and the servers (i.e markets) are far more concentrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I actually think you are correct on this. In the past, there were so many servers, that blizz could never have someone just sitting around reading all the town chat looking for chinese selling gold. But classic will have what ... 2, maybe 3 servers? Should be easy.
    God have mercy on the poor souls they hire to sit and watch every chat channel from every zone every day, 24 hours a day

And that doesn't stop online-advertised services.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitare-sp View Post
    Problem is with this is that gold is sooooo much more valuable in vanilla than now. Being able to 'buy' gold means you have access to skills/abilities much more easily, materials, and the most important, epic mounts. Not to mention being able to buy enchants items etc

Being able to easily buy that completely changes the game. No way can they introduce wow tokens.
    In vanilla at AQ launch it was around 30 USD for 1k gold and 100 USD for 5k gold. Which basically did the same thing as a wow token except the money went outside of blizzard. So Blizzard would be dumb to invite the possibilities of gold selling and farmers back into WoW. The token will be appropriately priced in Vanilla gold value, my guess would be fairly low initially a couple hundred to 1k and once established they would hit 1.5k-ish and hover around there.

Even though I did take advantage of these farmers as they would COD things to me instead of the going through the AH at a discount because I would buy in bulk for herbs, arcane crystals and some other items and then use alchemy to make finished products and sell at a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Tokens have no place in classic.
    Whereas gold selling services are just a part of the experience I guess? No. There will always be demand, especially since gold is much more valuable in Vanilla. Token > Scumbag 3rd parties, everyone wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    people still sell gold and account leveling services now; why would you think those would "magically go away" in classic? ESPECIALLY when gold and leveling is far more "valuable" and the servers (i.e markets) are far more concentrated.

- - - Updated - - -

God have mercy on the poor souls they hire to sit and watch every chat channel from every zone every day, 24 hours a day

And that doesn't stop online-advertised services.
    Most of the chinese gold spam back in the day was through whispers, AKA not /2 chat spam. The rest of it was online services usually advertised on Thottbot/Allahkazam.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Having a token you can buy with r/l money that can generate 500g for you in game would completely destroy vanilla's economy and experience.

How will it destroy a market? There is still the finite amount of gold on the vanilla server you are just introducing another vector to move it around.....If anything a token which will allow for people to spend money on the gold sink epic mount will actually preserve your Vanilla economy in the end because more gold will be leaving the economy regularly........Please try again.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by watsonian View Post
    They could certainly implement some system where you buy a token in retail for $20, put it up on the AH for whatever the going rate is there and at that time you choose if you want retail or classic gold (some conversion rate would be used - e.g., 150,000g retail or 50g classic). Someone on retail pays 150,000g for it, gets a month of game time, and then you get 50g that you choose which character it goes to when you log into classic. It would take some work, but I'm sure it would be doable.

That said, I think adding it to Classic would be a mistake. It would remove a huge portion of the sense of achievement related to certain milestones in the game. Getting your epic mount after farming and saving gold for months felt very gratifying. Was the process of getting the gold *fun*? No. But the feeling once you got the mount was fantastic. Adding wow tokens into the game would essentially remove that feeling because you'd just spend $20-40 and then buy your mount. No effort required.

Respec'ing became cost prohibitive because gold was scarce. Was it annoying not being able to easily change specs? Yeah, sometimes it was. However, it was a huge contributing factor to how the game was back then. Making it easy to get gold would have a huge impact on the game. Since the goal is to let people experience WoW as it was originally, I think a change like this would be counter to that effort.

The above doesn't discount the fact that gold selling was a legitimate problem. I suspect there are better ways to counter gold spammers now than there were then though. Account security is definitely a problem though because people *will* buy gold. Not having a legitimate way to do so will definitely decrease the number of people doing it dramatically.
    I think you will have to decide where the token is going to go when purchasing it because if you could put it on the Actual game servers and sell it there and then get Classic server gold this is no longer a gold neutral transaction on either server.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    You bet they will
    No I don't.

Yeah but that 1000g has to come from a player somewhere. It doesn't affect the economy at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

WoW survived 10 years without Tokens.

Classic can do it aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    If we can get tokens then maybe there’s hope Blizzard will budge on over things.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    WoW survived 10 years without Tokens.

Classic can do it aswell.
    Humankind survived thousands of years without playing computer games, maybe you can do it as well.

To sell tokens for 500g each would be months if not a year into the expansion as the token to gold value is based on supply and demand and directly uses other players gold. Is it really pay to win that someone months later puts a few tokens up?

I dont agree with tokens in classic either way. But if it is, really wont be an issue, in fact it might be easier to buy gold on classic servers compared to live servers. Unlike alot people seem to think, classic gold wasnt that hard to come by, if you knew how to farm gold. Problem was there wasnt youtube videos and easy to find guides on how to make 50+ gold per hour. Most was told by word of mouth if you were lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Yeah but that 1000g has to come from a player somewhere. It doesn't affect the economy at all.
    Who cares. Giving players a way to buy gold with rl money is cheating. Pure and simple. Pay to skip content. Fuck that.

Blizzard just needs to banhammer the bots and the gold spammers.
    They do, they did back then and they still do now.

OT: Token is a great way to stop spammers/gold farmers and thus reduce account hacking (because that's where the majority of gold comes from, stolen from hacked accounts which are then botted on) - but Gold is too valuable in Vanilla relative to Legion. It'd have to be like.... 100g hard-cap per token whereas it's like 250-300k (EU) on live. I remember buying 100g for £5/£10ish back in Vanilla from super legit websites.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2018-01-02 at 12:21 AM.