Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people act like Classic WOW was torture?

It had millions of players and retained a growing audience. Many enjoyed the game as their first MMO experience. Why are there so many threads that are acting as if they are warnings? Its a goddamn game, not a trip to the woods.

It wasn't torture or it wouldn't have been successful - but it absolutely was a grind.

yall thought legion was alt unfriendly

thats why ppl hate vanilla

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Legion was worse than vanilla when it comes to alts.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Why are there so many threads that are acting as if they are warnings?
    They don't know what's good for 'em, that's why.

it's less a "OMG Vanilla was Torture" more like...a warning to folks who play currently or a vain attempt to remove the rose tinted glasses (that may or may not exist)

10+ Year Old Account
    because u compare it to games 14+ years after it was released, instead of games that existed back then
    back then it was the easiest most friendly mmo game
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by bearlolzx View Post
    yall thought legion was alt unfriendly

thats why ppl hate vanilla
    Legion is very alt friendly.
    And WOW wasn't designed to be that way until expansions later.

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    I think Legion was worse than vanilla when it comes to alts.
    Depends on how you approached alts. If you tried to maintain them concurrent with your main, it was bad. If optimizing their artifact wasn't something you focused on, it was great.

I can't imagine having 2+ raid-level characters in Vanilla, especially for fights that required FR or NR gear.
    Last edited by Arrent; 2018-01-02 at 05:37 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Because they approach Vanilla with a post-Cata mindset. Of course they will freak out and start mumbling incoherently about rose-tinted glasses

Vanilla was amazing for its time, then the game changed and QoL additions ensured. Going back on it now in comparison to modern WoW, I can't say that I miss it.

Most of those silly warnings come off as people who never even played vanilla, and just parrot around what they read or hear, even if its blatantly wrong or misleading.

Also, i'd say the vast majority of people asking for vanilla for the past 10 years, do so because, well, they played it and want to do so again, knowing exactly what they're asking for.

But alas, then come the banshees screeching around.

And finally, you don't have to play Classic. If you're happy with the direction the game is taking, or simply put, have zero interest on it, just ignore it. No need to fucking campaign against it, suggest changes, repeat a million times it will fail, etc. Just, stay the course... it has 0 impact on your enjoyment of Warcraft.

Levels 35 to 40 was absolute torture. There was a dearth of quests and still no mount, so walk walk walk. Burning Steppes is etched into my mind. Most of the rest of 1-60 had its entertainment.

5+ Year Old Account
    If ppl really think it was torture they wouldn't be playing.

Sure it was a grind, but it's a memorable one. You can opt out any time you want to.

It had millions of players and retained a growing audience. Many enjoyed the game as their first MMO experience. Why are there so many threads that are acting as if they are warnings? Its a goddamn game, not a trip to the woods.
    Because there was no instant gratification.

Nice hyperbole.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just wait until they try the Strath undead side time run. That was so much fun.

The trend of players over the past 10+ years has moved massively to instant gratification. Instead of wanting to work towards accomplishments, they want to feel good every few minutes.

This is where gaming addiction comes in. When you get these easy dopamine releases every few minutes your brain just wants more and more and more. There are studies out there showing that modern gaming is actually causing brain damage to people...

Quote Originally Posted by zinfandel View Post
    Levels 35 to 40 was absolute torture. There was a dearth of quests and still no mount, so walk walk walk. Burning Steppes is etched into my mind. Most of the rest of 1-60 had its entertainment.
    At launch there was a huge gap of quests on some level ranges, mostly around 40-50~, but they kept adding stuff like a horde quest hub on the Hinterlands, Thorium Point in Searing Gorge for both factions, etc.

It eventually got pretty smooth (even if you had to keep moving to proper areas). Doing (the hard part was collecting them, on some dungeons like Uldaman or Maraudon) every quest on every dungeon was a huge boost aswell, or gap if you skipped them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally i dont believe it was "torture".
    But what i do believe is that way too many people romanticize it and are too nostalgic about it.
    Those people tent to greatly overrate Vanilla.

The truth is that, it was a great game. For it's time.
    It was the best game. At that time.

Another truth is that it was very grindy compared to today's mmos.
    (most people had one character and would like to level alts, but simply didnt have the time)

Also, it was highly imbalanced.
    (horde racials in pvp, ally priest racials in pve, shamys>palys, alliance-AV, Horde-AB)

And certain aspects were poorly thought of
    (majority of specs were useless, no guild banks, no reagent banks, no 250 stacks, no aoe loot)

Personally the only thing that bothered me, No transmog and barber :P

Those romantic Vanilla-Zealots think they are "better" than the rest because they like the "hard stuff".
    And their nostalgia kicks in, transforming them into extremists. No this and no that, or its not Vanilla!!

Be logical. No one wants to waste character slots to have "bank alts",
    no one wants to loot each mob one-by-one,
    no one wants to look like everyone else or have the same haircut for 10 years.
    Things that dont affect direct-gameplay and combat are welcome changes. (just no LFG or Flying)
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-01-02 at 06:08 AM.