Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Isn't EVE still successful on its sub model? Granted, EVE is a much better-developed game than Darkfall is, but it too serves more of a niche audience than games like WoW/FF 14 do.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Isn't EVE still successful on its sub model? Granted, EVE is a much better-developed game than Darkfall is, but it too serves more of a niche audience than games like WoW/FF 14 do.
    Niche audience, community, graphics, game design itself you name it.

This game has many glaring issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    You could go even deeper and bring up old school Runescape, but these are extremely rare cases of small yet extremely loyal fan bases that are still big enough just to keep the servers running, I personally wouldn’t even really call them “successful” games at this point, they are basically running on maintenance mode, doing just enough to keep the lights on…

You can sit here and try to convince me that’s exactly what Darkfall is trying to accomplish here, yet I still fail to see where this small yet big enough loyal community is now after only taking them 3 years to give up on the few players they had due (according to your own word) their own shitty development decisions.
    Just to outline what happened. After 3 years Darkfall was doing ok (better than mortal online) but the developer wanted to overhaul the graphics and UI so they decided the best way to do this was to make a new game, DFUW. Given the part success of the first game they took a risk and hired a big team. Unfortunately they struggled and the game was rushed out with lots of unfinished parts. Furthermore, while it brought new players to the game, many of the old players didn't like the changes to gameplay. The graphics were an improvement but the new UI was criticized too. DFUW became unsustainable and closed with many of the older players calling for the return of the original, which while it had it's problems could have carried on with updates much like how Mortal has carried on.

15+ Year Old Account
    This game looks like shit.

I don't care if it has the best gameplay ever. It's year 2018, I'm not going to play a game that looks like it was created in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    This game looks like shit.

I don't care if it has the best gameplay ever. It's year 2018, I'm not going to play a game that looks like it was created in 2005.
    Amusing thing is there are people saying it looks like that for "performance"...

Yeah no.

No way somebody paid 500k bucks for something that looks like a single person made it in his basement. "Reverse engineering", lel.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    No way somebody paid 500k bucks for something that looks like a single person made it in his basement. "Reverse engineering", lel.
    Yeah there's no way that the license is worth 500k.

It just isn't.

I don't know much about Runescape, but from what a friend told me something pretty similar happened with it. I believe it was also shut down or close to be, to be replaced by Runescape 2, which many of the players were against, thus they brought back oldschool.runescape even after releasing Runescape 2, that brought back enough old loyal fans back to keep the servers sustainable till today.

Now in this case not only the developers screwed up big time and kind of gave their community the middle finger, but they also waited... what? 5 years? To attempt to fix that mistake, if they ever had a big enough loyal community to keep the servers going, I highly doubt that they didn’t lost it by now.
    I never played Runescape myself either, it looked intriguing but I was always caught between other games. The developers of darkfall did got a lot of hate. I was personally just grateful to experience a game like this and looking forward to experiencing it again. Yes it might be a bit of nostalgia but I definitely think there is a place here for new players to try it out if it sounds like their bag and I'm sure there will be ways of trialing it for free. Thank you for your criticism, I might not agree with all of it but at least it is well thought out, researched and constructive.

Just had a good look into this. It just gets better and better watching this unfold.

It's B2P with a sub.

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/store/

They think a sub model is sustainable in this day and age when the game has already been essentially shutdown twice? They really have no idea of the market.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-01-03 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Just had a good look into this. It just gets better and better watching this unfold.

It's B2P with a sub.

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/store/

They think a sub model is sustainable in this day and age when the game has already been essentially shutdown twice? They really have no idea of the market.
    Hah that is doubling down on failure right there. B2P in this age of F2P better looking games and a sub fee on top of that? Good God.

I hope that loyal fanbase has some money, cos it looks like they're gonna need it to make this work. Kudos if they can, but I wouldn't wager any money on it succeeding. They might do well to consider some level of free trial if they really expect to get new people in the door.

I hope that loyal fanbase has some money, cos it looks like they're gonna need it to make this work. Kudos if they can, but I wouldn't wager any money on it succeeding. They might do well to consider some level of free trial if they really expect to get new people in the door.
    I fully expect so see some sort of free trial later. Most mmorpg's are pretty crowded at launch. I know this is a reboot and people will laugh but I imagine the game will be comfortably busy early days.

I don't know much about Runescape, but from what a friend told me something pretty similar happened with it. I believe it was also shut down or close to be, to be replaced by Runescape 2, which many of the players were against, thus they brought back oldschool.runescape even after releasing Runescape 2, that brought back enough old loyal fans back to keep the servers sustainable till today.

Now in this case not only the developers screwed up big time and kind of gave their community the middle finger, but they also waited... what? 5 years? To attempt to fix that mistake, if they ever had a big enough loyal community to keep the servers going, I highly doubt that they didn’t lost it by now.
    Old School Runescape is Runescape 2, although they did, at least at one point, bring back the original Runescape (which had graphics on par with an early 2000s browser game, because it is one) during Runescape 2's era.

Last I saw EVE went f2p with a sub option.

So Darkfall is going with a box price and a sub model. I don't think it will last with a sub payment model. But what do I know? Dark Age of Camelot has been going on for about 15 years with a sub model. Maybe there will be enough interest in this game to keep it going like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Last I saw EVE went f2p with a sub option.

So Darkfall is going with a box price and a sub model. I don't think it will last with a sub payment model. But what do I know? Dark Age of Camelot has been going on for about 15 years with a sub model. Maybe there will be enough interest in this game to keep it going like that.
    Eve is indeed free with a sub option. I don't see Darkfall surviving as a B2P w/ sub. It doesn't look good and runs like a snail. This could get better over time, but I doubt it's going to improve by much. I'm going to have to give this a pass, just like I did UW. I waited for literal years for Darkfall to come out and it was nothing special when it did.

The graphics don't look good at all, and is hardly an "acquired taste" as was put out by the other thread's OP. I really don't care about graphics since I play a lot on my 3ds, and a lot of pixel indie titles. The art style doesn't mesh well with how terrible the graphics are. It doesn't need to look like a GPU test, but there is no excuse for it to look like it does. If you're going to have to make it look shitty to perform well, then change the art style to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Eve is indeed free with a sub option. I don't see Darkfall surviving as a B2P w/ sub. It doesn't look good and runs like a snail. This could get better over time, but I doubt it's going to improve by much. I'm going to have to give this a pass, just like I did UW. I waited for literal years for Darkfall to come out and it was nothing special when it did.

The graphics don't look good at all, and is hardly an "acquired taste" as was put out by the other thread's OP. I really don't care about graphics since I play a lot on my 3ds, and a lot of pixel indie titles. The art style doesn't mesh well with how terrible the graphics are. It doesn't need to look like a GPU test, but there is no excuse for it to look like it does. If you're going to have to make it look shitty to perform well, then change the art style to match.
    The graphics are the least of it's worries.

Sub game in an era where it's not a sustainable model unless you have brand recognition is just silly.

This game is asking to be shutdown within a year with all it's flaws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The graphics are the least of it's worries.

Sub game in an era where it's not a sustainable model unless you have brand recognition is just silly.

This game is asking to be shutdown within a year with all it's flaws.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Graphics are easy to shit on because it's the first thing you see when you watch any of the media they have posted. There's no way it will survive, and its best bet is to go f2p as soon as possible. I still wouldn't want to play it even if it was f2p. Doesn't look fun (nor was it for me when it initially released) and looks awful to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree. Graphics are easy to shit on because it's the first thing you see when you watch any of the media they have posted. There's no way it will survive, and its best bet is to go f2p as soon as possible. I still wouldn't want to play it even if it was f2p. Doesn't look fun (nor was it for me when it initially released) and looks awful to boot.
    Another big factor is community.

From what I've read on their forums, reddit and what my friends who played the original have told me the community was well known for trying to stamp out anything critical and push anyone with critique away from the game.

Which is part of the reason it led to it's first downfall imo. Nobody wants to be in an environment like that and it just ends up being a minor amount of players in the end for games like these.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-01-03 at 10:14 PM.

Really? Well, that's confusing as fuck...

So, what’s actually old school runescape? Like an early version of Runescape that they released as a stand-alone after big ass major updates? Thus why you consider it Runescape 2? Because “Runescape” at least graphicly seems to be far more updated and all…
    Old School Runescape is a build from August 2007. And yeah: Runescape Classic is from 2001 - 2004. (it's impossible to create a new account on it, the last window to do so was back in 2011.) Then it underwent a major graphics and programming overhaul to become "Runescape 2", which dropped the 2 when it launched in 2004. "Runescape 3" was launched in 2013 and is the current iteration.

Incidentally in 2012 they released a new, WoW-esque kind of combat system... that a couple years later became a toggle between the old system and the new one.

Deleted
    They've just released a free trial prior to release until the 24th Jan for those interested.

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/2018-01-19-free-trial/