Thread: Computer power

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Computer power

According to PCPartpicker, my build pulls 613w out of the wall. That's with a normal overclock on my 1080 Ti, not a 24/7 110% TDP load at 2050MHz core clock thanks to mining. Apparently adding the GTX 970 is approximately 145w more. I wouldn't overclock the 970 much, but do you folks think it's worth it with my SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 750 watt power supply, or should I just run a separate system for the 970 to mine in? I'm not sure I am comfortable asking over 750 watt from the power supply, even if people have shown these things and other power supplies nowadays to do more than they're rated for. Usually ratings are placed for a reason.

PCPartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HkFNJV
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    You are nowhere near 613W if you don't OC the CPU for mining (stuff heats up VERY quick if you do).

Drop to stock clocks on the CPU with a seperate BIOS mining profile (or even disable several cores or downclock it) and you can have 0 issues with mining.

You'll be fine... just be aware of the heat generated as you're about to crap out 400W of heat.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Deleted
    I don't know what your cpu voltage is but you are probably around 200w for that alone (if saturated), 300w for the gpu, and we quickly run out of head room, even using a practical contention ratio for the other components. If it can do it it won't like it long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You are nowhere near 613W if you don't OC the CPU for mining (stuff heats up VERY quick if you do).

Drop to stock clocks on the CPU with a seperate BIOS mining profile (or even disable several cores or downclock it) and you can have 0 issues with mining.

You'll be fine... just be aware of the heat generated as you're about to crap out 400W of heat.
    I just realized we need to take into account that the CPU, while oc'd, isn't mining, as it just isn't worth it. The 1080 Ti literally does 20x more SOL/s.

However, when I play a game, like I am now, and the GPU keeps mining, with just mildly lowered SOL/s, I wonder with the CPU load where we'd be at.

CPU is at 4.1GHz at like 1.3v, I should really get around to testing to lower that voltage.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I just realized we need to take into account that the CPU, while oc'd, isn't mining, as it just isn't worth it. The 1080 Ti literally does 20x more SOL/s.

However, when I play a game, like I am now, and the GPU keeps mining, with just mildly lowered SOL/s, I wonder with the CPU load where we'd be at.

CPU is at 4.1GHz at like 1.3v, I should really get around to testing to lower that voltage.
    Don't mine and play games at the same time, will not end well.
    You're loading up the graphics rather heavily and the CPU is completely irrelevant for most mining.

Just keep it on the GFX cards and create 2 BIOS profiles, Gaming and Mining.
    Best course of action to do so.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I said, I don't mine with the CPU. It's sitting there idling for the most part.

I've gamed several hours today while mining, you sure it's really all that bad? It seems like the GPU is just being smart and diverting some attention to the game and then using whatever is left over for mining. Being the FTW3 Hybrid, it's stupidly cool.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's what I said, I don't mine with the CPU. It's sitting there idling for the most part.

I've gamed several hours today while mining, you sure it's really all that bad? It seems like the GPU is just being smart and diverting some attention to the game and then using whatever is left over for mining. Being the FTW3 Hybrid, it's stupidly cool.
    You get a lot of mixed workloads switching from compute to graphics to compute.
    Often times GPUs glitch out at some point or just bog down on performance because of the trying to work both graphics and compute at the same time.

If you get away with it fine but I've yet to see someone lasting for a while without glitching requiring either a reboot or a power cycle.

It's not in general "dangerous" to do, just annoying.

But the PSU load will still be high with your system OCed and 2 GPUs going at it mining/gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    You get a lot of mixed workloads switching from compute to graphics to compute.
    Often times GPUs glitch out at some point or just bog down on performance because of the trying to work both graphics and compute at the same time.

If you get away with it fine but I've yet to see someone lasting for a while without glitching requiring either a reboot or a power cycle.

It's not in general "dangerous" to do, just annoying.

But the PSU load will still be high with your system OCed and 2 GPUs going at it mining/gaming.
    Alright fair enough, thanks!

I imagine if I try playing Final Fantasy XIV it will be another story. Right now I am just playing Path of Exile, which definitely isn't as intensive on the computer as a whole, I think. Certainly not the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Evildeffy am I to understand it also, that PCI-E lanes doesn't matter for mining cards, essentially they just need 1x? Someone alluded to this but didn't really understand what I was asking, so wanted to ask you. If they need more lanes, is there some option I've just never seen to turn on x amount of lanes for a specific lane?

Note that I have the 1080 Ti in my 16x slot and then I have a 950 Pro NVMe in another slot. Motherboard is the ASUS X99 Deluxe.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright fair enough, thanks!

I imagine if I try playing Final Fantasy XIV it will be another story. Right now I am just playing Path of Exile, which definitely isn't as intensive on the computer as a whole, I think. Certainly not the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Evildeffy am I to understand it also, that PCI-E lanes doesn't matter for mining cards, essentially they just need 1x? Someone alluded to this but didn't really understand what I was asking, so wanted to ask you. If they need more lanes, is there some option I've just never seen to turn on x amount of lanes for a specific lane?

Note that I have the 1080 Ti in my 16x slot and then I have a 950 Pro NVMe in another slot. Motherboard is the ASUS X99 Deluxe.
    Mining does not give 2 rats asses about lane bandwidth, it's simply a hash calculation it does (simplified but accurate enough).
    That hash calculation is nothing more than KiloBytes (if even that) of almost just plain text data .. so having a bandwidth of 1GB/s (equivalent of a PCIe 3.0 x1 lane .. slightly less but w/e) is overkill for mining to a stupendous degree.

Hence why all mining equipment is using only x1 risers converted to USB signal and back to PCIe x16 size slots.
    https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1N8ulR...pg_640x640.jpg
    (FYI if going into this try not to use SATA power connectors but either Molex or 6-pin PCIe because of power delivery values over those cables, pure SATA ones have been known to catch fire)

Because of that fact the following exists:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...MINING-EXPERT/

Equip 12 AMD cards and 7 nVidia (or 11 AMD and 8 nVidia, you can use up to 12 GFX cards on AMD side for mining on 1 rig where nVidia is limited to 8).

You can leave all your settings as is with what you have, you won't notice any difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mining does not give 2 rats asses about lane bandwidth, it's simply a hash calculation it does (simplified but accurate enough).
    That hash calculation is nothing more than KiloBytes (if even that) of almost just plain text data .. so having a bandwidth of 1GB/s (equivalent of a PCIe 3.0 x1 lane .. slightly less but w/e) is overkill for mining to a stupendous degree.

Hence why all mining equipment is using only x1 risers converted to USB signal and back to PCIe x16 size slots.
    https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1N8ulR...pg_640x640.jpg
    (FYI if going into this try not to use SATA power connectors but either Molex or 6-pin PCIe because of power delivery values over those cables, pure SATA ones have been known to catch fire)

Because of that fact the following exists:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...MINING-EXPERT/

Equip 12 AMD cards and 7 nVidia (or 11 AMD and 8 nVidia, you can use up to 12 GFX cards on AMD side for mining on 1 rig where nVidia is limited to 8).

You can leave all your settings as is with what you have, you won't notice any difference.
    rofl holy shit that motherboard, wow.

And fret not good sir! I've always pushed people away from the SATA power converters.

Maybe if I become a real lunatic about this, I'll build a rig with that motherboard.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    rofl holy shit that motherboard, wow.

And fret not good sir! I've always pushed people away from the SATA power converters.

Maybe if I become a real lunatic about this, I'll build a rig with that motherboard.
    If you decide to dabble in that stuff then grab an i3/i5/i7 for that board.
    You can do things with a cheap G4560 as well but I've seen people at a 50/50 rate of having weird glitches or straight refusals to recognize everything etc.

Then when upgrading to an Core i CPU (regardless of 3/5/7) almost all issues seem to go away.

So if you go nuts, shell out the small amount of extra and buy a cheap i3.
    Do note that you'll need probably multiple PSUs to power 19 graphics cards so you need to link PSUs powering on and off which you can do with:
    http://phanteks.com/PH-PWCOB.html

After which you split the PSU power cables for PCIe and Molex between the PSUs yourself having everything synched and no bullshitting.
    The cheaper PSU combo devices to power up at the same time work but they tend to burn out or not always respond, they don't cause damage to the PSU just the little unit to sync power etc. just dies.
    Hence the more expensive Phanteks option which actually doesn't suck.

Anyway... off to bed now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks so much, @Evildeffy!

I have another computer power question now.

How does a computer's power supply tally at the end of the day. Like take my system, just the 1080 ti mining, everything else pulling minimum wattage, 750 watt psu, how exactly does that "750" come into play? Like how many kwh, if even 1, is it likely to pull in a day, max load on gpu 24/7.

Sorry if this is written poorly, laying in bed, mind racing, can't sleep and work is in under 6 hours.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks so much, @Evildeffy!

I have another computer power question now.

How does a computer's power supply tally at the end of the day. Like take my system, just the 1080 ti mining, everything else pulling minimum wattage, 750 watt psu, how exactly does that "750" come into play? Like how many kwh, if even 1, is it likely to pull in a day, max load on gpu 24/7.

Sorry if this is written poorly, laying in bed, mind racing, can't sleep and work is in under 6 hours.
    750W is concurrent power draw only by your devices, the primes PSUs can handle more but they're officially rated at the W you bought the unit at.
    Most of them have a tall across different voltages but for simplicity I'll be taking 12V since that's the majority of PC hardware now.
    Simply put if your PSU can deliver 750W on 1 x 12V rail that means that specific rail can deliver 62,5 Ampere on that rail
    750W / 12V = 62,5A

So if you have multiple graphics cards that are rated for (and assuming that they also pull that amount) 250W it would mean you'd be able to run 2 of them officially at one time because you have the rest of the system to worry about which willl pull maybe 40 - 70W in idle but you'd have that hard limit as mentioned before.

So assuming your system in idle with the highest mentioned number of 70W and 250W for the GPU mining full blast for 24 hours.
    You'd have a concurrent power draw of 320W, leaving 430W spare power capability on your PSU.
    But assuming 320W power draw for 24 hours = 7.68kWh and your energy supplier calculates how much they charge you with this value.

For details and easy calculation:
    https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

So again, PSU rating is only to show possible concurrent draw on the unit by devices, kWh is the amount of power used.

10+ Year Old Account
    750W is concurrent power draw only by your devices, the primes PSUs can handle more but they're officially rated at the W you bought the unit at.
    Most of them have a tall across different voltages but for simplicity I'll be taking 12V since that's the majority of PC hardware now.
    Simply put if your PSU can deliver 750W on 1 x 12V rail that means that specific rail can deliver 62,5 Ampere on that rail
    750W / 12V = 62,5A

So if you have multiple graphics cards that are rated for (and assuming that they also pull that amount) 250W it would mean you'd be able to run 2 of them officially at one time because you have the rest of the system to worry about which willl pull maybe 40 - 70W in idle but you'd have that hard limit as mentioned before.

So assuming your system in idle with the highest mentioned number of 70W and 250W for the GPU mining full blast for 24 hours.
    You'd have a concurrent power draw of 320W, leaving 430W spare power capability on your PSU.
    But assuming 320W power draw for 24 hours = 7.68kWh and your energy supplier calculates how much they charge you with this value.

For details and easy calculation:
    https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

So again, PSU rating is only to show possible concurrent draw on the unit by devices, kWh is the amount of power used.
    Oh sweet. 7.68kWh is practically nothing around here. If I am correct we fall somewhere in the realm of 7-10 cents per kWh, so even at 70 cents a day, that's still hardly $20 in a month. That's not bad at all! Cheers sir!
    "A flower.