Thread: The Orville

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    As for the pop culture references - that's an unfortunate plague of futuristic settings. You COULD write things in "natural" ways and have them reference fictitious 22nd century memes but people just wouldn't get it. It'd be too artificial, too contrived, and require too much exposition.
    I mean, I understand that, it's the same reason for the "universal translator" conceit, so you don't force people to read subtitles and all that. It's how casually and universally that the Orville uses it that I find jarring when it happens. A dick joke doesn't nudge my suspension of disbelief, but a crack that references a TV show does.

I mean, dick jokes are universal. The oldest (known) joke in British history dates back 1000 years, and it's a dick joke ("what hangs at a man's thigh and wants to poke the hole it's often poked before? A key"). Pop culture references aren't, though. Try reading Gulliver's Travels sometime, and figure out the satirical references, without using a guide or a history refresher/textbook. Gulliver's Travels is a piece of classic literature, and the satirical elements are incredibly obtuse if you didn't live around the time it was published.

I know why they do it, but it kicks my suspension of disbelief in the pants every time they do.

After season 1 I had the feeling that we've seen pretty much what this show has to offer. I doubt it's going to get much better or worse. It has its charm, it has its moments and most episodes are reasonably well written and interesting enough to watch, but it's not going to achieve the level of the best of Star Trek. Certainly not with these actors. It's just not serious enough. And it's not what they're aiming for either. Anyway, I enjoy it for what it is. I do think they still need to find a slightly better balance between comedy/parody and more serious drama.
    Last edited by deepr; 2017-12-18 at 10:55 PM.

Deleted
    I must say, I have found this series to be a lot of fun

What I enjoy most about the orville is its atheism and how it spits in the face of religion

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Star Trek always tended to have characters that were all paragons of humanity and who never said anything crass, ever.
    Wow. TIL Endus knows nothing about Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry was all about sex sex sex. Kirk was constantly hitting on hot half-naked female aliens. In season 1 of TNG, Roddenberry had Picard and Riker acting like horndogs. When he died, it got toned down, but paragons of humanity decidedly NOT...

If I had to guess, Roddenberry would have hated the way TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise went and would have loved the JJverse.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    What I enjoy most about the orville is its atheism and how it spits in the face of religion
    didn't catch that vibe at all but ok?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    didn't catch that vibe at all but ok?
    episode 4, 6 and 12

and seth is a atheist

episode 4, 6 and 12

and seth is a atheist
    i watched the entire season and saw nothing / or took nothing as bashing religion directly. If i get a chance i'll re-watch those though. If it fits the context of the story idc, its done as a deliberate spite to religion its pretty stupid/petty imo.

So you like someone/something just because it's atheist ? the fuck (same thing if atheism was remplaced by X religion)

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    So you like someone/something just because it's atheist ? the fuck (same thing if atheism was remplaced by X religion)
    as an atheist I like to see that atheism is well represented

- - - Updated - - -

i watched the entire season and saw nothing / or took nothing as bashing religion directly. If i get a chance i'll re-watch those though. If it fits the context of the story idc, its done as a deliberate spite to religion its pretty stupid/petty imo.
    episode 4 a society that traveled through space was delayed for hundreds of years by a cruel and murderous theocratic dictatorship that kept the people in irnorance, those who did not believe the religious falsehood were the ones who helped save the lives of the people in the ship.

episode 6 the krill the villains of the series are a deeply religious people and justify the mass genocide of other peoples by the teachings of their sacred book. in this episode the admiral says that the more advanced a civilization in the development of science and technology the more it abandons the religion.

in episode 12 we see how the greyson commander is responsible for creating a religion of a primitive planet whose relative time is more done for people in the orville.
    There we can see the infinite cruelty of religion and how to develop science and technology that people leave the regilion.
    the final speech of one of the inhabitants of the planet is that all peoples go through the same process to create religions but that evolution itself is responsible for eliminating them, that in the only thing that you have to have faith is in science, logic and the reason

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, I understand that, it's the same reason for the "universal translator" conceit, so you don't force people to read subtitles and all that. It's how casually and universally that the Orville uses it that I find jarring when it happens. A dick joke doesn't nudge my suspension of disbelief, but a crack that references a TV show does.
    My head cannon is that Ed, Gordon, and Kelly are the 25th century version of hipsters while John just wants to fit in and hangs out with Gordon so much that he gets the references also. Claire, Bortus, and Alara knowing the references kinda bothers me tho.

Some interesting news about S2 was announced by Seth McFarlain a couple days ago at a recent TCA Press Tour.

Seth MacFarlane says the confirmed second season of his sci-fi series “The Orville” is “going to be at least” fourteen episodes, up from the twelve of the first. The plan is also to lean on a heavier science fiction tone and pulling back a bit on comedy to broaden the appeal.

MacFarlane confirmed there’s no intention to do a full twenty-two episode season, saying: “I’d rather do fewer episodes and have them be better content-wise than do 22 and have them be filler.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/x-files-...rville-return/

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Some interesting news about S2 was announced by Seth McFarlain a couple days ago at a recent TCA Press Tour.

Seth MacFarlane says the confirmed second season of his sci-fi series “The Orville” is “going to be at least” fourteen episodes, up from the twelve of the first. The plan is also to lean on a heavier science fiction tone and pulling back a bit on comedy to broaden the appeal.

MacFarlane confirmed there’s no intention to do a full twenty-two episode season, saying: “I’d rather do fewer episodes and have them be better content-wise than do 22 and have them be filler.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/x-files-...rville-return/
    that's a shame it was very funny as comedy

as an atheist I like to see that atheism is well represented

- - - Updated - - -

episode 4 a society that traveled through space was delayed for hundreds of years by a cruel and murderous theocratic dictatorship that kept the people in irnorance, those who did not believe the religious falsehood were the ones who helped save the lives of the people in the ship.

episode 6 the krill the villains of the series are a deeply religious people and justify the mass genocide of other peoples by the teachings of their sacred book. in this episode the admiral says that the more advanced a civilization in the development of science and technology the more it abandons the religion.

in episode 12 we see how the greyson commander is responsible for creating a religion of a primitive planet whose relative time is more done for people in the orville.
    There we can see the infinite cruelty of religion and how to develop science and technology that people leave the regilion.
    the final speech of one of the inhabitants of the planet is that all peoples go through the same process to create religions but that evolution itself is responsible for eliminating them, that in the only thing that you have to have faith is in science, logic and the reason
    eh i see those more as specific cultural things of alien races not a attack on human organized religion or maybe i just don't look that deep into the show. I do recall that past of the finally though now that you mentioned it, and again to each their own. I'm Christian and believe in religion and I didn't feel the show attacked me or my beliefs.

eh i see those more as specific cultural things of alien races not a attack on human organized religion or maybe i just don't look that deep into the show. I do recall that past of the finally though now that you mentioned it, and again to each their own. I'm Christian and believe in religion and I didn't feel the show attacked me or my beliefs.
    seth macfarlane creator and protagonist of the show is a militant atheist who despises religion! his intention in the orville is to show how a better world can be achieved thanks to science and atheism and how religion only brings ignorance, pain and death.

http://www.worldreligionnews.com/rel...ing-christians

seth macfarlane creator and protagonist of the show is a militant atheist who despises religion! his intention in the orville is to show how a better world can be achieved thanks to science and atheism and how religion only brings ignorance, pain and death.

http://www.worldreligionnews.com/rel...ing-christians
    so do you have a better source for that attitude form him and more so that his purpose of the show is to attack Christianity cause if so i'll stop watching it for that reason. As is i don't see that though, i just a sci-fi show with different cultures and if anything its how people can use religion for evil which is not the goal of religion. More of a warning for those like me that have faith to watch for people that abuse it and use it for wrong to stop them.

so do you have a better source for that attitude form him and more so that his purpose of the show is to attack Christianity cause if so i'll stop watching it for that reason. As is i don't see that though, i just a sci-fi show with different cultures and if anything its how people can use religion for evil which is not the goal of religion. More of a warning for those like me that have faith to watch for people that abuse it and use it for wrong to stop them.
    the show is not against Christianity, it is against religion itself. Atheism denies the existence of any deity.

Still several days away from S2 being aired here in the UK, any of you over in the states have an opinion on this new season?
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Still several days away from S2 being aired here in the UK, any of you over in the states have an opinion on this new season?
    I saw the first episode, one of the more silly than serious episodes mostly.

Ah, hope that's not indicative of what's the come! The humor is great, but I hope Seth doesn't lose what he's built in it.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh