Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That's not how reality works. You grant legitimacy to ideas by providing them an equal platform.
    What is this obsession with legitimacy?

No, you don't give them legitimacy if you bring them up on a stage, debate them, and prove them to be 100% wrong to the audience. Again, with the two examples I mentioned, it would be exceptionally easy to defeat in a debate, thus proving them wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    But that's the thing, there have been endless amount of debates and the presentation of factual, empirical evidence, yet they still deny.
    But we both know both flat earthers are an extreme minority and anti-vaxxers are a losing battle right? Because both get debated and defeated over and over.

Why not let them continue to lose?

You will never fully 100% eliminate a belief. But defeating it enough time and it's pushed out of common thought of society.

Deleted
    No, you don't seem to get it. Sexual harassment is not always illegal. Catcalling is sexual harassment but it generally is not illegal.
    If it isn't illegal, i don't care.

You don't quite seem to understand the distinction between having a stupid, shitty opinion and attacking individuals.
    What part of wishing for a white genocide isn't attacking people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Becauuuuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    It's seriously like people have forgotten that debates aren't for those debating. They're for the audience. When you present "everyday science" as one side, and "batshit lunatic conspiracy insanity" as the other side, you're implicitly saying that the two have comparable merit, such that a debate between the two is warranted for the public's benefit, in exploring both sides.
    You know, that thing that has been repeated to you several times but you continue to dismiss as "silencing the opposition"?

No, you don't give them legitimacy if you bring them up on a stage, debate them, and prove them to be 100% wrong to the audience. Again, with the two examples I mentioned, it would be exceptionally easy to defeat in a debate, thus proving them wrong.
    The actual instances of trying to debate bunk opinions indicate otherwise. Such as Bill Nye's whole "debate the creationist" shtick. All it ended up doing was providing further exposure for a batshit opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

But we both know both flat earthers are an extreme minority and anti-vaxxers are a losing battle right? Because both get debated and defeated over and over.
    They are not in a losing battle; anti-vaxxers in particular are becoming a severe issue because the efforts to discredit them have just brought them more publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They are not in a losing battle; anti-vaxxers in particular are becoming a severe issue because the efforts to discredit them have just brought them more publicity.
    Are they? I figured they were losing because the idea that autism is caused by vaccines I have not seen any actual supporting evidence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    Wasn't that tweet satire?
    Given the rest of his production, no, it wasn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it means conservative speakers can speak at Liberal Universities, and liberal speakers can speak and Conservative Universities, I'm okay with it.

College is about expanding your horizons. Being forced to listen to opinions you disagree with is a foundational part of critical thought and development. It is not supposed to be a safe-space to be spoon-fed everything you already think or agree with.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I mean do you know what the appeal to authority fallacy is? Yes that is an appeal to authority and it is a fallacy in a debate.
    So, let me get this straight. You tell me I had eggs for breakfast. I say "No, I had waffles, I was there." You then get to declare that I am engaging in argument from authority?
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, let me get this straight. You tell me I had eggs for breakfast. I say "No, I had waffles, I was there." You then get to declare that I am engaging in argument from authority?

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

.... just stop it's when you proclaim an authority figure that is absolutely right it that becomes a fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    If it isn't illegal, i don't care.

What part of wishing for a white genocide isn't attacking people?
    I didn't say "people". I said "individuals".

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Why not let them continue to lose?

You will never fully 100% eliminate a belief. But defeating it enough time and it's pushed out of common thought of society.
    Your own example proves you wrong. Anti-vaxxers have always been wrong and get proven more wrong every day, but their beliefs have actually become MORE popular, not less popular.
    -ynnady

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Because the government doesn't unilaterally have the authority to tell someone or something what to do based solely on them receiving tax dollars. If they did, Title IX wouldn't need to exist, because the government could just take away the funding to force compliance.

Title IX exists solely because the government doesn't have this authority.
    Again, " because the government could just take away the funding to force compliance." That's literally how title nine compliance is done.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say "people". I said "individuals".
    No need to redefine words to make a point.

If it's racist to say about anyone, it's racist to say about everyone. There are no exceptions to this rule.
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

.... just stop it's when you proclaim an authority figure that is absolutely right it that becomes a fallacy
    Who claimed anyone was absolutely right?
    -ynnady

7+ Year Old Account

Your own example proves you wrong. Anti-vaxxers have always been wrong and get proven more wrong every day, but their beliefs have actually become MORE popular, not less popular.
    Huh, I wonder how that is possible?

As partisan as I am, and I admit it, anti-vaccine is such a non-partisan issue. The science just doesn't support the claim vaccines are bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are they? I figured they were losing because the idea that autism is caused by vaccines I have not seen any actual supporting evidence.
    Yes, they are. Entirely preventable diseases are now seeing more widespread outbreaks because herd immunity is being compromised by stupid or ignorant people.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    No need to redefine words to make a point.

If it's racist to say about anyone, it's racist to say about everyone. There are no exceptions to this rule.
    We weren't talking about racism. We were talking about the difference between someone saying "White genocide" and someone putting up photographs of a student and then slandering them and accusing them of sexual misconduct without evidence.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account

As partisan as I am, and I admit it, anti-vaccine is such a non-partisan issue. The science just doesn't support the claim vaccines are bad.
    Man it's almost as if treating their opinion as legitimate dissent and not baseless bunk might have had the unintended effect of advertising it further.

You know, that thing you've been repeatedly told in two separate threads.

It's possible because of the exact phenomenon we are discussing: With the internet they are given a platform, and platforms grant legitimacy.
    -ynnady

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes, they are. Entirely preventable diseases are now seeing more widespread outbreaks because herd immunity is being compromised by stupid or ignorant people.
    This defies logic. And I don't mean you I mean them.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who claimed anyone was absolutely right?

You did when you proclaimed yourself as an authority on the topic.....

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible because of the exact phenomenon we are discussing: With the internet they are given a platform, and platforms grant legitimacy.
    So, what's the solution? Create subjects that are banned from discussion?

You've got to do better than 3rd-world despot solutions.
    Or should I?