Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    A rather excellent example of government overreach. That some people will inevitably rush to defend something like this is unfortunate but not terribly surprising. It's a system perfectly set up for abuse - one prone to encouraging acts of virtue signalling and pressuring people into doing stuff they may not wish to do or risk punishment for things they really should not be punished for.
    I dont get it. People rush to tie the knot around their own necks. Why?

Makes loki and his speech about "isnt it easier to bow" sadly true.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    In part, it doesn't take much for people here to get swept up in things like flash mobs. China is barely more than 100 years past a feudal past, and there are constant attempts by people to set themselves up as a cult of personality. Sure, there is skepticism about some of the political purges such as those we've seen in recent years, but at the same time there had been talk about the corruption of those officials too.
    Honestly, I feel like modern China is a great example of why authoritarianism is always a bad idea in the long term. People there have been controlled and manipulated for so long that they pretty much see ANY form of social structure as something to be skeptical of and to subvert for personal gain to the maximum extent. They don't quite understand what it means to live in a free society and the responsibilities and duties that come along with it, so granting them more rights is risky because it will only encourage them to step all over each other to make a few extra bucks. The current government is in a bind now, they can either loosen the reins and let society fall into chaos, or tighten their grip and see more systems slip through their fingers, so to speak.

China, man ... only in China ..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie
    Honestly, I feel like modern China is a great example of why authoritarianism is always a bad idea in the long term.
    I can't say I'm a fan of authoritarianism, but are you sure this isn't too much a reflection of Cold War stereotypes? How do you separate your impression of modern China from the influences of Confucianism and Neo-Confucianism over the centuries? There are things that China under Mao went to ridiculous lengths to uproot, but they're coming right back today.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I can't say I'm a fan of authoritarianism, but are you sure this isn't too much a reflection of Cold War stereotypes? How do you separate your impression of modern China from the influences of Confucianism and Neo-Confucianism over the centuries? There are things that China under Mao went to ridiculous lengths to uproot, but they're coming right back today.

Aren't you defending things like the social score and the Great Firewall of China because you want to increase your social score? You definitely don't want it to go down.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    How would they find out who does what?
    The same way Facebook lets you know about some sale that you talked about on your phone...
    Privacy is a lie, everything is open to someone if you got a smartphone around you...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap
    Aren't you defending things like the social score and the Great Firewall of China because you want to increase your social score? You definitely don't want it to go down.
    Boring, you're just sulking because someone posted this thread before you could repost it again. You drag that joke out every time.

Catch up. I don't, can't, and won't have a social credit score because I don't have a Chinese ID number. So, no, not something I particularly care about one way or another.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Tennis Nope, I'm doing just fine.

Pretty much this. It is sort of like how people in the US manage to get through a day without shooting someone, being shot, or seeing a shooting -- but one couldn't really imagine that from the way the news sounds some days.

Roughly one and a half billion people, many crammed into cities with millions or tens of millions of inhabitants creates an environment that scammers all too often exploit. Lots of people would like a bit more security. It is a rough analogy, but when I was younger the security we have in US airports now would have sounded like something out of the DDR, and yet today it is accepted without much comment.
    Well, I would agree.
    I would rather have less privacy in a very secure place than more privacy where anachy is everywhere.
    Unless you're a criminal, more surveilance ain't gonna hurt you.

Like when people go on talking about how you have no privacy if you use Facebook, or WeChat.
    So what? I use it to communicate with people, upload photos from my vacation, keep in touch with relatives living on the other side of the world. If someone wants to spy on me, knock yourself out, it's not like they will find something illegal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Boring, you're just sulking because someone posted this thread before you could repost it again. You drag that joke out every time.

Catch up. I don't, can't, and won't have a social credit score because I don't have a Chinese ID number. So, no, not something I particularly care about one way or another.
    Hey I did not make this thread to bash China, I just thought it would spark a discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    not surprising at all - people in china has servitude and obiedience to its overlords build into their DNA after 5 thousands of years of being under whip of elite.

so they wont protest for sure .

if any country woudl to be to implement it it would be china 100%

I can't speak definitively on this, but all the evidence I see suggests that Confucianism is really just something that people pay lip service to and which leaders cite to cement their legitimacy, but which has little practical impact on most people's everyday lives, much like the role that Christianity plays in the West. And sure maybe Mao couldn't eliminate all the traditional beliefs and customs, but American-style consumerism has obliterated any trace of them within a matter of decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak definitively on this, but all the evidence I see suggests that Confucianism is really just something that people pay lip service to and which leaders cite to cement their legitimacy, but which has little practical impact on most people's everyday lives, much like the role that Christianity plays in the West.
    If you mean in the sense of attempts to bring back schools that claim to be based on Confucianism and similar efforts, I wouldn't really disagree. At a more fundamental level, however, those things are still very much a part of the culture. Filial piety, for example, has been dressed up in different terminology, but it is alive and well.

And sure maybe Mao couldn't eliminate all the traditional beliefs and customs, but American-style consumerism has obliterated any trace of them within a matter of decades.
    If you mean in China, definitely not the case. Consumerism is thriving, look at the 11/11 sales, but also look at the number of people hitting the roads and rails for Spring Festival. Things like the snacks and the CCTV special get more coverage, but many of those people are going back to be with family and there will be some form of chart or scroll to take the place of family tablets. As I said, things like filial piety are still very much a part of Chinese culture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    they have a camera system :

Basically they can see everything about you. Who you meet, where you've been, all your social media etc
    UK still has a higher density of CCTV cameras. Where's the outrage for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    not surprising at all - people in china has servitude and obiedience to its overlords build into their DNA after 5 thousands of years of being under whip of elite.

so they wont protest for sure .

if any country woudl to be to implement it it would be china 100%
    Are you always this much of an ignorant racist, or did you decide to be particularly despicable today?

(According your deplorable and offensive thoughts (I cannot bring myself to call what you wrote above 'reasoning') why wouldn't it be a country where nationwide protests against the economic elite were more recently crushed by the government, and the populace just shrugged and went back to work for the benefit of their billionaire overlords?
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    this thread really covers nothing new that hasn't been covered before. this credit system has been around for awhile now.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    The same way Facebook lets you know about some sale that you talked about on your phone...
    Privacy is a lie, everything is open to someone if you got a smartphone around you...
    I've never had facebook let me know about some sale that I talked about on my phone, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never had facebook let me know about some sale that I talked about on my phone, ever.
    You have never had any social media ever? MySpace or whatever the few came after it? LinkedIn if you're a professional that requires networking perhaps?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    You have never had any social media ever? MySpace or whatever the few came after it? LinkedIn if you're a professional that requires networking perhaps?
    I have facebook but I've never seen any ads on there about anything related to anything I've talked about on my phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    dystopian as fuck
    Thats China for ya'

Happens to me all the time.

Looked up the nintendo switch the other day now guess what ads I get, the same with very specific video games which are older, so its pretty odd and not just a coincidence