Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Zandalari and Dark Iron are known from Vanilla and will be unlockable through playing BFA, so returning player will already be familiar with them and new players will be introduced to them.
    Irrelevant.

Someone who didn't play Legion wouldn't even know about the other four allied races being added in 7.3.5 (whether they are available at that point is irrelevant) because they wouldn't have played through the content that introduced them narratively.
    Someone new to the game isn't going to know who any of the races are, why are the subraces different?

In that case, how is locking them behind old reps any different than mounts gated behind old reputation grinds or that drop old raids? A new player will see someone riding Invincible, but will have to do old content to get it because they weren't here when it was relevant. Someone will see a player character that is a Lightforged Draenei and will have to do old content to unlock them, because they weren't here when it was relevant. There's no difference.
    It's 100% different. Invincible isn't a BfA piece of content like the new subraces are, it's a piece of WotLK content. So you run WotLK content to get it.

I don't care much either way but I do think it's weird that the game requires you to go back to the previous expansion and do outdated content in order to unlock content for the new/current expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    They aren't new races, they're skins. Skins are optional content, they're earned. Be grateful they aren't making you pay for them outside of the Expansion cost.
    If that's the case they shouldn't show them as one of the next expansion's feature, expansion we're gonna pay..

Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    Nope, not at all. Subraces are nothing new, just look at the animations of those, you can clearly see are just repixelated version of already existing models. So, I call that lazy in my book.
    If Allied races are lazy in your book, then the way they added races before must've been downright insulting to you.

Not that I can take someone with your level of reasoning seriously to begin with.

To quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    Can we just establish that sharing an animation rig is not the same as a reskin?
    A reskin is when you have the exact same 3D model with a different texture. It has nothing to do with animation.
    I get that you're trying to imply it's cheap, but reusing animation rigs is just cost efficient. Creating a new one is an incredible amount of work, and isn't completely necessary if you already have a library of different rigs that can do the job.

Even if Zandalari use the same rig as night elves (which I'm not sure they do, I heard a dev say it's actually a modified troll rig), it's still a vastly different model. It's not a reskin.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-01-08 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    And you seem entitled to a skin for an old race.
    If it's that unimportant, why try to make it an "exclusive reward"?

That's the thing, though. All of the arguments in favour of keeping the rep-locking contradict each other. It can't be a fancy, important reward for dedicated players, and an unimportant pallette swap that people don't need to worry about.

It can't be the grand prize, and the participation ribbon.

Either it is an unimportant boring old thing, in which case it shouldn't be used as an important reward... or it's a super cool new thing that everyone wants and got the expansion for, in which case it should be earned by doing CURRENT content. Not content that - at that point - will be at least two years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy Scratch View Post

That's the thing, though. All of the arguments in favour of keeping the rep-locking contradict each other. It can't be a fancy, important reward for dedicated players, and an unimportant pallette swap that people don't need to worry about.

It can't be the grand prize, and the participation ribbon.

Either it is an unimportant boring old thing, in which case it shouldn't be used as an important reward... or it's a super cool new thing that everyone wants and got the expansion for, in which case it should be earned by doing CURRENT content. Not content that - at that point - will be at least two years old.
    4 of the Allied races are from Legion content and storylines.

2 of them are from BfA content and storylines.

It's time people suck it up and get to work, 7.3.5 is coming. I don't see why players have to be so worried about this shit when the devs apparently are not. Everyone whining now, are aware of what's coming and have ample time to meet the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Irrelevant.
    It is entirely relevant because of this:

Someone new to the game isn't going to know who any of the races are, why are the subraces different?
    The four allied races being introduced in 7.3.5 play no part in BFA except for player characters (see below). We don't even know if they'll show up on the character creation screen if they're not unlocked, because the only Allied race creation screens we've seen previewed have only the Allied races on them. Zandalari and Dark Iron, on the other hand, must play a large part of BFA - at least in early patch(es) - because they are unlocked via playing through BFA. (Even if we have no idea what role the Dark Iron will play because it hasn't been announced/datamined/put in beta yet.)

It's 100% different. Invincible isn't a BfA piece of content like the new subraces are, it's a piece of WotLK content. So you run WotLK content to get it.

I don't care much either way but I do think it's weird that the game requires you to go back to the previous expansion and do outdated content in order to unlock content for the new/current expansion.
    It's literally the same thing. Lightforged Draenei, Nightborne, Void Elves, and Highmountain Tauren don't matter in BFA. They're not part of the story, and the only NPCs will be maybe racial leaders in Org/Stormwind. These four races only exist as a cosmetic that someone who played through Legion owns. They're part of Legion content, unlocked through playing Legion content. How can you argue that is different than a mount?

Your disconnect is that they were announced as part of BFA. But they're not coming in BFA, they're coming before it.

- - - Updated - - -

Except those don't contradict each other. The old Realm First raid clear titles (such as Death's Demise) are a fancy, important reward for dedicated players, but they also don't matter because apart from signifying that a certain player did a thing, they are as meaningless as any other title. Same thing for mounts. Mythic-only mount drops are 100% during the expansion, then they are changed to 1% after it. They're important for a short while and then they don't matter, because at the end of the day they're still just a 100% ground speed and/or 310% flight speed mount. Allied races are a new and fancy reward for having completed Legion story content, but they don't matter because at the end of the day, it's still just the appearance of your character and nothing more.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2018-01-08 at 05:31 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    If Allied races are lazy in your book, then the way they added races before must've been downright insulting to you.

Not that I can take someone with your level of reasoning seriously to begin with.

To quote:
    At least races were something completely new.Subraces are not. That's a fact. Now it's better stop quoting each other and move on with our life.

At least races were something completely new.Subraces are not. That's a fact. Now it's better stop quoting each other and move on with our life.
    Allied races are something completely new, and there's 6 of them vs the 2 or 1 new races of before.

Or do please point towards the currently playable races using those names, the art assets, story, voice overs, unlock mechanics etc etc.
    When people such as yourself claim that a design is "lazy", it's actually a case of YOU being lazy with your grievances.

The Allied Races and how they're approaching the concept is so far removed from "lazy" as they could come. Case in point: People wouldn't be this butthurt if they'd done the lazy thing and just added subrace options at the Barbershop, or 2 "new" (yet already known) races through the old system.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-01-08 at 05:44 PM.

It is entirely relevant because of this:

The four allied races being introduced in 7.3.5 play no part in BFA except for player characters (see below). We don't even know if they'll show up on the character creation screen if they're not unlocked, because the only Allied race creation screens we've seen previewed have only the Allied races on them. Zandalari and Dark Iron, on the other hand, must play a large part of BFA - at least in early patch(es) - because they are unlocked via playing through BFA. (Even if we have no idea what role the Dark Iron will play because it hasn't been announced/datamined/put in beta yet.)

It's literally the same thing. Lightforged Draenei, Nightborne, Void Elves, and Highmountain Tauren don't matter in BFA. They're not part of the story, and the only NPCs will be maybe racial leaders in Org/Stormwind. These four races only exist as a cosmetic that someone who played through Legion owns. They're part of Legion content, unlocked through playing Legion content. How can you argue that is different than a mount?

Your disconnect is that they were announced as part of BFA. But they're not coming in BFA, they're coming before it.

- - - Updated - - -

Except those don't contradict each other. The old Realm First raid clear titles (such as Death's Demise) are a fancy, important reward for dedicated players, but they also don't matter because apart from signifying that a certain player did a thing, they are as meaningless as any other title. Same thing for mounts. Mythic-only mount drops are 100% during the expansion, then they are changed to 1% after it. They're important for a short while and then they don't matter, because at the end of the day they're still just a 100% ground speed and/or 310% flight speed mount. Allied races are a new and fancy reward for having completed Legion story content, but they don't matter because at the end of the day, it's still just the appearance of your character and nothing more.
    If the current 4 Allied Races don't matter in BfA why the HELL are they being advertised as one of the MAIN FEATURES of BfA? I'm willing to bet quite a lot that they'll be hyped up on the Box and 90% of advertising done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    I would be very surprised if the requirements stayed in for BfA launch, why would anyone returning for a new xpac be expected to go back and play the old one(and grind two very slow reps for alliance at least)...
    then be surprised. like pathfinder for wod the rep will stay.

If that's the case they shouldn't show them as one of the next expansion's feature, expansion we're gonna pay..
    For the exact same reason Death Knights and Demon Hunters were shown as features but still had to have prerequisites to play them.

Getting exalted with the Argus reps i pure bullshit repetitive content and won't help you understand the races any better. Sure doing a questline on argus makes sense, but grinding worldquests for a month to get exalted is fucking stupid. Returning players are supposed to play the new EXP not the old. You don't need a fully built garrison to unlock your class order hall and you should not need to be exalted with last tiers factions to unlock new races.

Quote Originally Posted by Stened91 View Post
    So the lock races that comes with an expansion you have to buy behind old content? Seems unfair to people like me who very much dislikes questing and rep farming
    Then this probably is not the right game for you.

Your monthly subscription and purchase of an expansion only guarantees you access to the realms and to the new questing areas, PvP zones and instances. This is the way it has always been.

There would be no point in playing this game outside of socializing if everything was just handed to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    If the current 4 Allied Races don't matter in BfA why the HELL are they being advertised as one of the MAIN FEATURES of BfA? I'm willing to bet quite a lot that they'll be hyped up on the Box and 90% of advertising done.
    I bet you they're the preorder bonus, just as DH's were for Legion.

They are literally BfA races that are content for BfA. I am not even fucking arguing pointless schematics with you, lol. Yes, they're being generously given to us before the expansion comes out, but they are every bit BfA content. Your argument is bad.

For the exact same reason Death Knights and Demon Hunters were shown as features but still had to have prerequisites to play them.
    Dude.. Seriously.. Leveling is something 95+% of the WoW Population does. You can't say the same for grinding out Reputations.

Those pre-requisites were a lot milder: the DK-restriction was to have a character at lvl 55 (later removed), and demon hunter one at lvl 70, i.e. not even max-level - and with character boosts those restrictions is more about what realms you can create them on.

I still believe that the allied race restrictions will be reduce/removed later, and is primarily to give people something to do with pre-order.

They are literally BfA races that are content for BfA. I am not even fucking arguing pointless schematics with you, lol. Yes, they're being generously given to us before the expansion comes out, but they are every bit BfA content. Your argument is bad.
    How is my argument bad? The four allied races are part of Legion's content. Suramar. Highmountain. Argus. Our ability to play them starts in (somewhere between 7.3.5 and) BFA, true. But that ability is the reward for having played through Legion. Allied Races, excepting Zandalari and Dark Iron, are essentially subscriber rewards, with a prerequisite that is essentially complete if you actually played through the story of Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Those pre-requisites were a lot milder: the DK-restriction was to have a character at lvl 55 (later removed), and demon hunter one at lvl 70, i.e. not even max-level - and with character boosts those restrictions is more about what realms you can create them on.

I still believe that the allied race restrictions will be reduce/removed later, and is primarily to give people something to do with pre-order.
    Later sure, but not with the launch of BFA. Maybe the following expansion. You can argue that the requisites were more mild, but people are saying "wah wah I don't want to do ANYTHING" and there should be something tied behind this, this is significant to the story of the game, especially how the races tie into the new factions. If people can't spend 2 weeks doing some world quests(in the case of Nightfallen you can literally get that done in under a day) then they should be prepared to not play Allied Races. The funny part is, you don't even need to do world quests, collect the rep tokens from command missions, you'll hit exalted long before BFA releases. As for the quest chains required all of them can be literally completed in 1-3 days of just doing the NON-WORLD QUEST, QUEST CHAINS. Highmountain can be done in 2 hours, Suramar can be done in 7-10 hours, and all of Argus can be done in 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    Dude.. Seriously.. Leveling is something 95+% of the WoW Population does. You can't say the same for grinding out Reputations.
    Its the same thing, there's a prerequisite. On top of that they're giving you over 9 months notice before BFA launches. Look above, I specifically mentioned other ways to get rep that doesn't involve world questing.
    Last edited by Zyky; 2018-01-08 at 07:06 PM.

The simple answer is this:

If the races require purchasing BFA, they shouldn't require doing a rep-grind from a completely different expansion.
    If they are completely locked behind a rep grind from an old expansion, they shouldn't also require players to purchase the new one.

That's what it comes down to. If they're a BFA feature, they shouldn't be locked behind a Legion grind. If they're a Legion feature, they shouldn't require a BFA purchase.

"I don't care about anyone else and everyone should do what I do and the way I want it is the only right way and everyone should just shut up and do what I say but you're the entitled one not me!"
    This is where you are wrong, homie. You don't have to do it my way. You have to do it Blizzard's way. I've accepted Blizzard's way. Those who feel entitled haven't.