Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    A woman directed Wonder Woman, one of the biggest movies of the year.
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Nothing questionable about it. Between best comedy/ musical and best drama, there are 10 movies in play, but only 5 nominees for best director. The exclusion that people are suddenly and naively outraged about happens all the time.
    4 of the 5 directors nominated also had their movie nominated for best drama. So that fifth spot was up for grabs it seems. All I meant by "questionable" was that you could argue for different directors getting that last spot if it wasn't going to the remaining director for the best drama nominees, not that any one in particular deserved it.

I'm mostly arguing against the claims here that there was no woman that could have taken that spot.

Btw, I think it's shitty what Portman did to crap on what should have been a nice moment for those directors. They didn't nominate themselves.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2018-01-09 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Shoplifter View Post
    Why do they need an awards ceremony in the first place
    To give them a platform to moan about a supposed injustice in the world.

Always the same unfortunately. My only regret, was that Ricky Gervais wasn't presenting. He would have put cold water on the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yeah movie-making bootstraps! It's not men's fault they have been directing movies for a century, women are just lazy! /s
    Strawman. Nowhere did he mention that women are lazy. Just that they suck at making movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Name me one successful box office movie (apart from Wonder Woman) from last year by a female director please?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    Or incompetent. The lack of rewards say it all.
    So a lack of rewards, which are a decision made by people, speaks of incompetence in the entire female gender that's involved in Hollywood?

Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    The movie was a succes at the box office, but that doesnt mean the director was the best director.

Might as well give best director to Michael Bay then, for every box office succes he had with Transformers.
    Don't even joke about that!

What a bitch.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Frank View Post
    To give them a platform to moan about a supposed injustice in the world.
    According to that Meryl Streep speech, Hollywood is the most vilified and oppressed.
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

Deleted
    Maybe women just aren't that interested in directing? Or maybe they prefer directing a type of movie that's more of a small niche?

But no, they MUST be nominated, no matter what. It's just as stupid as demanding to nominate people with a certain skin color, cultural background, age-group, etc.

I'm pretty sure that my "cringe reaction" when reading this thread was way worse than theirs.
    What's your point?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally love it always loved bad ass kick ass women not willing to back down or apologize.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If any of those directors do a movie with her again, they deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    So a lack of rewards, which are a decision made by people, speaks of incompetence in the entire female gender that's involved in Hollywood?

Wow.
    It speaks for the female directors atleast, or, you know, they might have been rewarded.

Make good movies and get rewarded, make shit and get shit on. That's just how that works.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my "cringe reaction" when reading this thread was way worse than theirs.
    What's your point?
    Your post is so obviously reactionary.

His point is he hates all women and he's a big bad evil monster misogynist, is this the answer you're expecting to receive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Maybe women just aren't that interested in directing? Or maybe they prefer directing a type of movie that's more of a small niche?

But no, they MUST be nominated, no matter what. It's just as stupid as demanding to nominate people with a certain skin color, cultural background, age-group, etc.
    That’s a nice excuse do reward them, don’t invite them “ oh maybe women don’t wanna to direct or have ideas?” Nope I’m all for the landscape changing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    It speaks for the female directors atleast, or, you know, they might have been rewarded.

Make good movies and get rewarded, make shit and get shit on. That's just how that works.
    Who decides that a bunch of men voting on another Clint Eastwood puke fest.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9 View Post
    Name me one successful box office movie (apart from Wonder Woman) from last year by a female director please?
    "Name a successful box office movie, but disregard a top 3 title box office hit of the year, plz."

Box office success =/= a good movie though. As a woman I couldn't stand Wonder Woman.

Besides, people focus their gender grievances on the Director seat, but name the movies and TV shows that have all-male production teams.

5+ Year Old Account
    You'd think those delicate flowers would rather stay at home than be in a room full of BEASTS that just want to rape them and murderer their foetuses
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Strawman. Nowhere did he mention that women are lazy. Just that they suck at making movies.
    Or, they cannot get the same opportunity to make movies that end up being in the running for award shows. Let's see, shall we go with the conspiratorial and stereotypic view that all women are shitty directors, or back in reality, that women don't have the same opportunities as men in show business.

They definitely should've included the director of Lady Bird, she deserved the nomination more the Ridley Scott did in my opinion.
    Though her comment should have been saved for afterwards, not really their (the directors) fault only men got nominated, and intentional or not, that comment was aimed at them.
    Last edited by Paetolus; 2018-01-09 at 03:15 PM.