Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    A woman directed Wonder Woman, one of the biggest movies of the year.
    You don't get critic recognition for a box office hit, especially one which screamed for the whole marketing campaign:

"HALP come see/save this movie, or we'll stop making female heroines."

That was basically a ransom to get women drag their husbands at the cinema and watch that DC crap.

Disclaimer: I was that husband.

Let me guess : that fabled ''FRADOM OF SPUCH'' does not allow Nathalie Portman to make comments such as this ?

Edgelords should really make a list of authorized topics covered by FRADOM OF SPUCH, I.E topics that can be discussed without making man-children cry and moan.

That was a cringey as fuck statement to make.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I said nothing of the sort.
    When you feel this threatened by women pointing out unfair treatment though, it's rather cringeworthy. You need to be a rather insecure person if this gets you all worked up.

Seem I can add you to that list as well.
    I didn't say you said anything, I said your post was reactionary. Now you want to insult me because of that? Why? Who is actually feeling threatened and insecure here? You're the one trying to insult me, lol. Smh...

I am curious as to what directors didn't deserve to be on that list, and what women should have been on that list. Not seen a lot of films last year, so serious question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Oh have women been able to become directors of films for the same amount of time? Is this the part where I get to hear your misogynistic bullshit?
    So you agree they are incompetent?

Good to know I guess.

7+ Year Old Account
    It reminds me of #Oscarssowhite and Will Smith's pissed wife from 2y ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Nope, you presented the scenario that my statement must mean that all threads ever made are a sign of "butthurt" when I was specifically referring to this thread and the guys replying to it.

Again, that's your reasoning, not mine.
    No, I asked a question about the scenario you presented. Re-read my post: if the answer is yes, review your logic, if no, then you haven't found an answer and you're jumping to a conclusion based on a falsehood you accepted, even more telling since you're using smileys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Let me guess : that fabled ''FRADOM OF SPUCH'' does not allow Nathalie Portman to make comments such as this ?

Edgelords should really make a list of authorized topics covered by FRADOM OF SPUCH, I.E topics that can be discussed without making man-children cry and moan.
    Freedom of speech and freedom to disagree can and should coexist. You should also make an attempt to distinguish between the two, because if you comflate them your definition is untenable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Again, what is your point? The patriarchy is not a hivemind accumulating experience and excellence over centuries that the women cannot reach.
    My point is that there is and was a concerted effort to restrict a women's career advancement in society. This has been proven empirically for decades. Whether it be in filmmaking or dentistry. Why are you assuming they are offered the same opportunities and educational advancement at birth?

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    She is a 100% correct, very glad she spoke the truth.
    I don't see how that's not just being an asshole. If someone was fat and I was like hey, "you're fat". Well I'm 100% correct and speaking the truth. Doesn't mean I should say it.

These people on these award shows are like in a fucking cult or something. It's all about getting snark points with comments like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    You don't get critic recognition for a box office hit, especially one which screamed for the whole marketing campaign:

"HALP come see/save this movie, or we'll stop making female heroines."

That was basically a ransom to get women drag their husbands at the cinema and watch that DC crap.

Disclaimer: I was that husband.
    Wonder Woman have Gal Gadot in a short skirt, which is nice, and a basic but working plot, which is sadly lacking in DC movies. That it starred a woman and was directed by a woman is a side-issue compared to ''not being a convoluted mess'' (because, frankly, when your movies are about a team of vigilantes dressed in bright colors with powers such as ''punching vilains with bare hands'' ''punching vilains with hammer'' or ''punching vilains really hard with bare hands'', it might be better to keep things simple)

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeap, I'm sure that would make more people watching your shitty award shows.
    Who else doesn't want to be blamed for being a male.

Also, Wonder Woman was a good movie, with it's flaws obviously, especially in the scenario department. But it doesn't add any points for being directed by the woman.
    I'm here to watch you movie, not giving a single @#$A about your gender. It's irrelevant to me.
    Last edited by Kreo; 2018-01-09 at 03:29 PM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why she'd do this. They deserve to be there, if not by their recent movies, but by their contribution to the cinema in general.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Shoplifter View Post
    Maybe not as many Women as men want to direct. If you believe there's some big bad out to stop women directing, then sadly you're the one in conspiracy territory. The consumer doesn't give a shit what gender the director is, and money talks, so if a women makes a movie that's going to empty the pockets of the masses, well no-one will stand in her way.
    It isn't a "big bad", it's decades worth of empirical data showing that women are restricted in how high they can advance their careers by a societal framework employed by men. This is akin to saying women can't do mathematics or engineering because their brains are different.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    No, I asked a question about the scenario you presented. Re-read my post: if the answer is yes, review your logic, if no, then you haven't found an answer and you're jumping to a conclusion based on a falsehood you accepted, even more telling since you're using smileys.
    ... What? Are Smileys somehow taboo these days?

And again, I don't have an answer to your question, since it's based in your line of reasoning, not mine. I was making a remark relating to this particular thread and the guys responding to it in the way that they have been. Perhaps that is the answer you should accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Freedom of speech and freedom to disagree can and should coexist. You should also make an attempt to distinguish between the two, because if you comflate them your definition is untenable.
    Freedom of speech goes hand in hand by being able to accept the said viewpoints being made without making a frothing rage. Something that eludes completely edgelords.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    So you agree they are incompetent?

Good to know I guess.
    No they aren't incompetent. Is this the part where you tell me how their brains are not as powerful and creative as the innovative man-brain?

Deleted
    They should just stop with these award shows anyway.

They are more about politics these days than movies.

What is sad about it though? she cracked a cringy joke and people cringed.