Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You shouldn't need to mod a 200R like that, especially if you are not OCing.. I have one, so does my best friend. We added a couple fans of course, but even with OCing, temps are fine. I have a fan controller with individual temp sensors place throughout the case and none of the temps ever get bad, again, with an OC on there. I am a little concerned with your temps though. They do seem a bit high, seeing as I have the same case and basically the same CPU, though with an OC, and I do not reach those temps and did not reach temps like that before putting on my Noctua NH-D14 and still had the stock cooler. I suspect that either the stock cooler is installed wrong or came a little loose and is not making proper contact or that the paste has dried up a bit so is not making proper contact or something like that because your stock temps should not be that high with that CPU in that case.
    Good God Lath... where's the punctuation?

Also correct the modding shouldn't be required but it most certainly is a big difference for GPUs.
    nVidia's Maxwell and Pascal cards are specifically sensitive to changes.

Whilst for CPUs it'd be perfectly manageable ... there is actually a noticeable detriment for GPUs.
    Hence the suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeion View Post
    Would simply taking the cooler off, cleaning and reapplying new thermal paste help you think? It's not that dirty, but not sparkling clean either
    Just played some WoW for a bit, and CPU was 78C when max, with the cores going from 79-85 in max, normal around 68-75. GPU is a constant 58-65 when playing WoW at least
    Nothing wrong with removing the cooler, cleaning it, cleaning off the thermal paste from the cooler and CPU and re-applying them and trying it.

That said the stock coolers of Intel are absolutely garbage... So if it works with new paste and you want to cheapen it a little even a basic model is perfectly fine for a cooler like a Cyrorig H7 or Be Quiet! Pure Rock / Pure Rock Slim / Shadow Rock Slim or even Cooler Master Hyper 212X and be considerably quieter.

That said if your case panel is open en you replaced the thermal paste properly and attached it propely then I suspect you may need to have your CPU delided to fix it if you're not inducing insane voltages via the mobo.
    As it is actually happening quite a bit now that the paste between the IHS and CPU die is evaporating (chemical process of drying/cracking up before someone makes a stupid comment of pastes not drying up) and causing high temps because it cannot actually transfer heat anymore.

The simplest and cheapest way is to find someone offering a delid and relid service and have that done with either new Thermal Paste or Liquid Metal, temps would drop like a brick.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post

Also correct the modding shouldn't be required but it most certainly is a big difference for GPUs.
    nVidia's Maxwell and Pascal cards are specifically sensitive to changes.

Whilst for CPUs it'd be perfectly manageable ... there is actually a noticeable detriment for GPUs.
    Hence the suggestion.
    Is my GPU running too hot though? Because if it is, I might just have to mod. Rather have it last longer

15+ Year Old Account
    Is my GPU running too hot though? Because if it is, I might just have to mod. Rather have it last longer
    Nah, temps are perfectly fine in general.
    But Pascal clocks down pretty hard in steps after 60°C thereby reducing performance, where you can lose any boost performance basically.

Again it's not necessary but it's basically free performance you get from lower temps allowing it to boost further and longer.

That said WoW stresses the GPU as much as a toaster does.
    Other games (AAA titles f.ex.) will have a bigger impact with this specific point.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Nah, temps are perfectly fine in general.
    But Pascal clocks down pretty hard in steps after 60°C thereby reducing performance, where you can lose any boost performance basically.

Again it's not necessary but it's basically free performance you get from lower temps allowing it to boost further and longer.

That said WoW stresses the GPU as much as a toaster does.
    Other games (AAA titles f.ex.) will have a bigger impact with this specific point.
    Righto. even with the stress test, the GPU didn't go higher than 63C though. I will see what the new case fans will do to help, if any difference

Up your ass apparently. Sorry, I guess next time I just won't bother to try to help at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Up your ass apparently. Sorry, I guess next time I just won't bother to try to help at all.
    Woooow... what made you angry?
    The comment was made as a banter point, I've not insulted you or anything... we've always been on friendly terms prior so I didn't deserve that.

Woooow... what made you angry?
    The comment was made as a banter point, I've not insulted you or anything... we've always been on friendly terms prior so I didn't deserve that.
    We may have always been on friendly terms, but you've never called me out for grammar or punctuation mistakes before either now have you? Now we are derailing the thread, which is all those types of comments ever do anyway. You are right though, I should have just ignored and moved on.

Again, I apologize for trying to help someone while at work and posting quickly and not proof-reading and fixing my post and keeping it up to your standards. If I don't have time to make sure my post is 100% grammatically correct and punctuated properly, I just won't post. Screw helping people out.

15+ Year Old Account
    We may have always been on friendly terms, but you've never called me out for grammar or punctuation mistakes before either now have you? Now we are derailing the thread, which is all those types of comments ever do anyway. You are right though, I should have just ignored and moved on.

Again, I apologize for trying to help someone while at work and posting quickly and not proof-reading and fixing my post and keeping it up to your standards. If I don't have time to make sure my post is 100% grammatically correct and punctuated properly, I just won't post. Screw helping people out.
    Again it was a banter point, not a serious point ... you know ... shit-talking to say hello?

I don't know how otherwise to tell it was a banter point but very well ... if you still think I insulted you for trying to help then my apologies.
    In order to not further derail the thread you can PM me if you want to talk, if not .. also fine.

If your 4670k is running over 75C for any extended period of time on a regular basis, then yes, you should invest in better cooling. This chip was not intended to run that hot, and prolonged exposure to such temperatures will damage the CPU.

You might also consider upgrading to a newer generation of processor. Skylake CPUs, for example, are rather good at venting excess heat. Voltage overloading is generally a bigger concern than heat for these CPUs, when you're overclocking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    If your 4670k is running over 75C for any extended period of time on a regular basis, then yes, you should invest in better cooling. This chip was not intended to run that hot, and prolonged exposure to such temperatures will damage the CPU.
    Actually 75°C is a perfectly acceptable temperature in terms of silicon endurance, our beliefs of what temperatures should be however is skewed from what it can take.
    Of course cooler is better but those temps are not damaging temperatures to CPUs and the intended operating temperature not close to Tj Max so yes it technically is intended to run at those temperatures, doesn't necessarily mean it has to though.

You might also consider upgrading to a newer generation of processor. Skylake CPUs, for example, are rather good at venting excess heat. Voltage overloading is generally a bigger concern than heat for these CPUs, when you're overclocking.
    Though suggesting upgrading is a waste of money and not better at venting excess heat at all, if anything it's worsened.
    Until Intel stops using thermal paste between it's IHS and CPU Die it will always remain piss poor, which is why AMD is mocking them really with their soldered CPUs.

As far as "Voltage overload" goes, a bit poorly phrased and technically both correct and incorrect.
    With a proper cooler you're likely to hit silicon limits before hitting thermal limits if the thermal paste is fine but yes if you over-volt the CPU Cores then you will indeed degrade the silicon quickly but unless you've researched overclocking you shouldn't be dabbling in that anyway.

Again it was a banter point, not a serious point ... you know ... shit-talking to say hello?

I don't know how otherwise to tell it was a banter point but very well ... if you still think I insulted you for trying to help then my apologies.
    In order to not further derail the thread you can PM me if you want to talk, if not .. also fine.
    Didn't seem like banter at the time and re-reading it it still does not seem like banter to me. It seems like calling someone out for their punctuation, or lack thereof. It's really easy to come back after the fact and say it was meant as banter as well, so whatever. Long story short, you asked me where it was, I answered. You then accused me of being angry, which I am not. I was just answering your question.

- - - Updated - - -

If by extended period of time you mean 24/7 for several weeks.....nope, you're still wrong.

Actually 75°C is a perfectly acceptable temperature in terms of silicon endurance, our beliefs of what temperatures should be however is skewed from what it can take.
    Of course cooler is better but those temps are not damaging temperatures to CPUs and the intended operating temperature not close to Tj Max so yes it technically is intended to run at those temperatures, doesn't necessarily mean it has to though.
    Now that talks fell on upgrading. With the as you say better connection between IHS and CPU from AMD to get rid of head, should I instead be looking at 1600 instead of say a new i5 or i7 if I wanted a new processer for light gaming and productivity

Now that talks fell on upgrading. With the as you say better connection between IHS and CPU from AMD to get rid of head, should I instead be looking at 1600 instead of say a new i5 or i7 if I wanted a new processer for light gaming and productivity
    At this point in time, absolutely. If productivity is a concern at all, AMD is the better choice and while it may be slightly behind in gaming, it's really only measurable in benchmarks and not something you will notice in day to day usage.

That said, you don't need to upgrade. Your CPU is fine for at least a few more years, unless you are doing a whole heck of a lot of productivity related tasks and you are not happy with your current performance in those tasks.

At this point in time, absolutely. If productivity is a concern at all, AMD is the better choice and while it may be slightly behind in gaming, it's really only measurable in benchmarks and not something you will notice in day to day usage.

That said, you don't need to upgrade. Your CPU is fine for at least a few more years, unless you are doing a whole heck of a lot of productivity related tasks and you are not happy with your current performance in those tasks.
    Righto. I'll just stick with my current for now then and focus on cooling

15+ Year Old Account
    If you really WANT to upgrade then yes, AMD in general (not all programmes) has a good lead in productivity suites because of their increased core count with comparable power per core making the raw horsepower of Ryzen CPUs higher if you have the software that can use it.

That said upgrading from a 4670K shouldn't be done unless you yourself WANT to upgrade and are dissatisfied with the i5's productivity performance.
    You'll not notice a difference otherwise really.

You'd need a new mobo, CPU and RAM at least and whilst the first 2 are relatively cheap RAM on the other hand is not.

Just because AMD has better heat transfer doesn't mean you should jump ship immediately, a lot of people f.ex. offer delidding/relidding services for your CPU with Liquid Metal TIM for 20 - 30 USD.
    So if push comes to shove on that (when you're certain it's not the CPU cooler/thermal paste that's the issue with high temps) you can always find someone to do it for you ...

Just tried something, but would like some input from you guys. Will order new CPU cooler next week, but till then I'm looking to create some positiv pressure for my case.
    Problem is that my motherboard only have slots for 3 fans, 2x case and 1 for CPU. So I tried putting the front fan (new AF120) on turbo mode and the exhaust on silent to slow it down a bit. Will that help to create some positiv pressure or should I just keep them both silent/standard.

There's about 100RPM between the two fans now

Just tried something, but would like some input from you guys. Will order new CPU cooler next week, but till then I'm looking to create some positiv pressure for my case.
    Problem is that my motherboard only have slots for 3 fans, 2x case and 1 for CPU. So I tried putting the front fan (new AF120) on turbo mode and the exhaust on silent to slow it down a bit. Will that help to create some positiv pressure or should I just keep them both silent/standard.

I would keep them both the same. Positive pressure is better, but balanced pressure is fine. As long as it's not negative pressure. You really don't want negative pressure because then air is being pulled in all the non-filtered gaps into the case and it settles. With balanced or positive pressure, air is not being sucked in throuh every available opening.

Also, either invest in a couple fan splitters, should be able to order them for a few bucks a piece, or an actual fan controller that plugs directly in to your PSU and then you plug the fans in to it.

I would keep them both the same. Positive pressure is better, but balanced pressure is fine. As long as it's not negative pressure. You really don't want negative pressure because then air is being pulled in all the non-filtered gaps into the case and it settles. With balanced or positive pressure, air is not being sucked in throuh every available opening.

Also, either invest in a couple fan splitters, should be able to order them for a few bucks a piece, or an actual fan controller that plugs directly in to your PSU and then you plug the fans in to it.
    I get it, but shouldn't higher RPM on intake vs lower on exhaust = positive pressure, or does it require a bigger difference than 100-150rpm

15+ Year Old Account

Simply buy a fan splitter for the front fans, they cost almost nothing.
    The AF120s don't eat enough W to screw with a fan header in general.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-026-_-Product

When you have 2 fans you'll have positive pressure which is what you want.

Keep the fans at speeds you are comfortable with regarding temperature and sounds.

Simply buy a fan splitter for the front fans, they cost almost nothing.
    The AF120s don't eat enough W to screw with a fan header in general.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-026-_-Product

When you have 2 fans you'll have positive pressure which is what you want.

Keep the fans at speeds you are comfortable with regarding temperature and sounds.
    There's only room for one fan in the front though, but right I'll look into fan headers then. Since there's only one slot infront, where should I place my second intake then? side or top?
    Last edited by Xeion; 2018-01-11 at 10:27 PM.