Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Reports of multiple Sam's Clubs being closed without notice across US

Sam's Club is a bulk, member only subsidiary of WalMart. And this was the same day WalMart announced raises and bonuses for its main employees.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/multi...tion/507151005

Anyone else have any Sam's Club closings to report?

walmart.com has all the Sam's Club stuff with 2 day free delivery. I can't see why anyone would go to a Sam's Club.

Sam's Club will be another victim of the internet.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    walmart.com has all the Sam's Club stuff with 2 day free delivery. I can't see why anyone would go to a Sam's Club.

Oh yeah, it will, but I think the problem is them being shut down without notice leaving people with jobs.

Deleted
    Fascinating

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Oh yeah, it will, but I think the problem is them being shut down without notice leaving people with jobs.
    The abruptness of it is definitely interesting. Corporations do have pretty draconian processes for closing stores - they want to avoid employee backlash.

10+ Year Old Account

Walmart doesn't have all of the items available at Sam's Club and generally Walmart and Walmart.com are more expensive to shop at if you'd rather have bulk supplies(and thus the discounts that come with shopping in bulk). I bought a 49-count box of Nature's Valley granola bars at Sam's about a month ago for $12 while the next biggest size available from Walmart is an 18-count box for $15. Plus, the Member's Mark (Sam's Club brand) items are usually way superior in quality vs Great Value brand items. It's a great place to shop imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're appeasing the masses by increasing wages. Of course there's going to be cutbacks elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    They're appeasing the masses by increasing wages. Of course there's going to be cutbacks elsewhere.
    Everywhere except investor dividends and the profit margin in general, to be precise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The abruptness of it is definitely interesting. Corporations do have pretty draconian processes for closing stores - they want to avoid employee backlash.
    Employees can do some pretty destructive things when a plant or facility closes. Having had to clean up the mess once, I can understand why they would go cold turkey

Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club locations across the US, the company told Business Insider.
    Some stores were closed on Thursday. Others will close at a later date.
    Many employees were not informed of the closures ahead of the time, according to reports.
    10 of the closed stores will be turned into ecommerce distribution centers.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2018-01-11 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Everywhere except investor dividends and the profit margin in general, to be precise.
    Hmm...for some strange reason, it reminds me of that South Park episode about music piracy.

Man must learn to think of these horrible outcomes before he acts selfishly, or else... I fear... recording artists will be forever doomed to a life of only semi-luxury.
    What ever will those shareholders do if they're forced to own stock in companies that don't continually screw over employees who just want to pay their bills?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Hmm...for some strange reason, it reminds me of that South Park episode about music piracy.

What ever will those shareholders do if they're forced to own stock in companies that don't continually screw over employees who just want to pay their bills?!
    Probably invest their money in something useful for a change.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Walmart doesn't have all of the items available at Sam's Club and generally Walmart and Walmart.com are more expensive to shop at if you'd rather have bulk supplies(and thus the discounts that come with shopping in bulk). I bought a 49-count box of Nature's Valley granola bars at Sam's about a month ago for $12 while the next biggest size available from Walmart is an 18-count box for $15. Plus, the Member's Mark (Sam's Club brand) items are usually way superior in quality vs Great Value brand items. It's a great place to shop imo.
    that may be why, sams club may be scraping a profit or even losing money with that price point

Isn't Sams Club the Costco of the east coast?

10+ Year Old Account
    And? If I have to increase employee wages, I'm going to other ways to cut back and the ones that affect me will be the last to go. After all, it's my business and it exists solely for me to make money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    And? If I have to increase employee wages, I'm going to other ways to cut back and the ones that affect me will be the last to go. After all, it's my business and it exists solely for me to make money.
    And if every business owner does this, how do you expect anyone to afford your products or services?

Fun Fact: Consumption is what drives a market economy and sustains it. That means their wages are ultimately more valuable to society than you as a business owner. If you're driven out of business by regulation, a more compliant alternative will crop up to satisfy the demand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    idk, my city has both

i prefer costco

10+ Year Old Account
    And if every business owner does this, how do you expect anyone to afford your products or services?
    What other business owners do isn't my concern.

That means their wages are ultimately more valuable to society than you as a business owner.
    Without businesses, there are no wages.

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with my point. The rational and logical response to an increase in overhead is to compensate it elsewhere.

sad for the employees. Let's just hope they'll be able to find a new job without much trouble.

But if it's allowed by the law... can't really blame the company.

Homophobia is so gay.