Thread: Druid Weapons

Druid Weapons

Since there are no Class specific discussion boards, I am forced to post here =P

I played a Priest back in vanilla and did not play a druid until Wrath.

Weapons are a little weird for druids and I was hoping to get some clarification with druids weaps while in form.

1) I know the stats on the weapon matter, but the dps does not correct? example, a +20 str mace at 20.0 dps does the same dps as a +20 str mace with 25.0 dps.. correct? weapon dps does not affect dmg?

2) Do Procs work while in form? Crusader? dmg procs?

3) Weap skill does not matter while in form, correct?

4) do weapon buffs work in Form? example: Mage oil or sharpening stones?

ty!

1) Yes, to weapon dps not mattering.
    2) Weapon Enchants & Weapon "Chance on Hit" don't proc(ex Unstoppable Force). Trinkets, rings, etc do work.
    3) Correct.
    4) Sharpening/Weight Stones does not work untill 2.4.0. Oils does all the time.
    Last edited by Zulatomten; 2018-01-13 at 02:37 PM.

While weapon enchant procs will not work (including Windfury, not that it'd matter), trinket procs WILL work in Feral forms (and I assume any proc not on a weapon, if there are any others), which leads to Wyrmthalak's trinket and the Darkmoon Faire trinket being good. I don't know if they're even close to worth the effort of obtaining them, probably not, but that's generally how Classic works anyway.

And just to be thorough: +stat weapon enchants will still apply in Feral forms. Moonkin Form works exactly like humanoid form, but it's not like you want to auto-attack as a caster anyway.
    Last edited by Senka; 2018-01-13 at 12:20 AM.

If it is not a +healing weapon you are doing druid wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    Moonkin Form works exactly like humanoid form, but it's not like you want to auto-attack as a caster anyway.
    I think you had to, in Vanilla, as it restored Mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Moonkin form itself didn't restore mana. You not casting naturally restored mana and the "Omen of Clarity" talent sometimes allowed you to cast a spell for free after physically hitting a opponent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    If it is not a +healing weapon you are doing druid wrong.
    Off-topic but okay?
    All 4 playstyles for Druid are able to do solo/small group based content. It's a 12 year old game, who gives a toss about doing it right or wrong anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Can you not scroll down for a 4th of a second?

Bam : https://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/270-Druid druid specific discussion board
    He specifically ment a Classic Class discussion board. The current existing one is for Legion.
    Last edited by Zulatomten; 2018-01-13 at 02:46 PM. Reason: prwraith deleted his post. :3

Wrong expansion, my dude.

I think Judgement of Wisdom is what caused boomkins to need to auto-attack.

Could, but shouldn't unless you had no other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulatomten View Post
    Moonkin form itself didn't restore mana. You not casting naturally restored mana and the "Omen of Clarity" talent sometimes allowed you to cast a spell for free after physically hitting a opponent.
    Moonkin did restore mana on melee attack. It was a pretty stupid mechanic that wasn't used much, but it did exist, though i'm not sure if it was in Vanilla or only in BC.

Cat and Bear didn't technically use their equipped melee weapon and had it replaced by a cat/bear "paw" weapon while in form, so anything other than stats on the weapon had no impact on their performance. The first "Feral AP" weapons were introduced with the Nightmare Dragons in Vanilla though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellzy View Post
    Since there are no Class specific discussion boards, I am forced to post here =P

I played a Priest back in vanilla and did not play a druid until Wrath.

Weapons are a little weird for druids and I was hoping to get some clarification with druids weaps while in form.

1) I know the stats on the weapon matter, but the dps does not correct? example, a +20 str mace at 20.0 dps does the same dps as a +20 str mace with 25.0 dps.. correct? weapon dps does not affect dmg?

2) Do Procs work while in form? Crusader? dmg procs?

3) Weap skill does not matter while in form, correct?

4) do weapon buffs work in Form? example: Mage oil or sharpening stones?

ty!
    Looks like you got some answers already but to add to what's been said,

1. Weapon dps doesn't matter, but depending on how far back they push things, feral attack power was added to help compensate for this. If you're looking to tank, you want a Warden Staff, if you're looking to feral dps, you want the mace from the AQ quests. Strength = AP, which is how you compensate for the lack of weapon dmg.

2. Procs do not work in form, but weapon enchants like +agi do

To clarify some things even more thoroughly about Moonkin Form:

-Moonkin Form's "mana restore on weapon swing" was in all of TBC only, guaranteed, and it scaled with AP quite well which oddly made Feral-specific staves rather useful for Moonkin in a similar way to Spirit staves being useful to Mages during Evocation.

-True, Omen of Clarity and Judgement of Wisdom made auto-attacking not completely worthless, but you're still a caster like a Mage, albeit one that can equip a 2H mace capable of considerably higher auto-attack damage than many staves/daggers, such as Hammer of Ji'zhi. This doesn't really mean anything as a caster because it will likely do much less damage than a wand because you have no Str and it does physical damage.

-Any spell reset the weapon swing timer (that is, started it over) for Druids, further hampering auto-attack capability, which almost only matters for instant spells. Then again, you practically can't use Moonfire against a 40-player raid boss anyway unless your guild caters to you because there's a limit of 16 debuffs on a target in Classic. Even in 20-player raids, you probably won't get a debuff slot unless, again, your guild is catering to you for fun (which is totally fine!). At least you can, and SHOULD, be using Insect Swarm for -2% enemy hit, but a healing Druid could easily do that.

-For that matter, I think any spell reset the weapon swing timer for Paladins and Shamans too. However, Judgement is not a spell, and Shocks may have been the only exception. The odd thing is I think spells reset the weapon swing timer for ONLY Druids, Paladins, and Shamans, the only classes that could maybe get any simultaneous benefit out of auto-attacks and spells. The Classic devs were really stupid about gameplay back then. :P
    Last edited by Senka; 2018-01-15 at 08:37 AM.

The only reason I can even stand Afrasiabi and Kaplan today is because they don't use their Everquest names anymore. Classic WoW and its design that fucked over many specs and forced certain classes into one spec was basically the fault of "Tigole" and "Furor".
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.