Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karzerus View Post
    Calm down little buddy, everything is gonna be okay. I know it triggered you real hard to see an opinion that you don't like, but trust me, you'll be just fine.
    I'm not even mad or agitated lol. Just stating the truth that blizzard could kill either if they felt like it, but they don't see them as a problem as a complete addon, just sometimes the parts don't fit what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Karzerus View Post
    I agree.

I also think they should ban certain addons that more or less play the game for you, like Deadly Boss Mods and WeakAuras.
    None of those two mods play the game for you. Also Blizzard already designs encounters with them in mind.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Its easy. Dont come to these websites.
    Pretty much this. If you care enough to let it bother you don't be a part of these communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I'm not even mad or agitated lol. Just stating the truth that blizzard could kill either if they felt like it, but they don't see them as a problem as a complete addon, just sometimes the parts don't fit what they want.
    It's quite difficult to kill DBM/BW because such addons are very basic in their nature, and collateral damage will be quite excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    It's quite difficult to kill DBM/BW because such addons are very basic in their nature, and collateral damage will be quite excessive.
    They'd find a way, collateral damage be damned. I still miss my old KUI friendly nameplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    They'd find a way, collateral damage be damned. I still miss my old KUI friendly nameplates.
    Well, in that case you'll be missing all unitframe addons actually

DBM/BW are just smart self-adjusting timers, some abilities are literally timed, others depend on unit's health/power/altpower. There's no way to counter the former, all data is user-gathered, addons simply display it during an encounter, but to counter the latter Blizz will need to break unit-related API in raids which in turn will break everything that relies on it: unitframes, nameplates and boss/target/focus frames in particular, if they're being surgical, ofc

Ah, they'll have to kill addons' access to combat log as well, how could I forget about it, my bad... That will break quite a lot of stuff also.

Banning an addon is not an option, they gave up on blacklisting in WotLK when they tried to do so w/ GS because it's causing server issues, simple addon update after a patch day was enough to avoid it.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-01-14 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Well, in that case you'll be missing all unitframe addons actually

DBM/BW are just smart self-adjusting timers, some abilities are literally timed, others depend on unit's health/power/altpower. There's no way to counter the former, all data is user-gathered, addons simply display it during an encounter, but to counter the latter Blizz will need to break unit-related API in raids which in turn will break everything that relies on it: unitframes, nameplates and boss/target/focus frames in particular, if they're being surgical, ofc

Ah, they'll have to kill addons' access to combat log as well, how could I forget about it, my bad... That will break quite a lot of stuff also.

Banning an addon is not an option, they gave up on blacklisting in WotLK when they tried to do so w/ GS because it's causing server issues, simple addon update after a patch day was enough to avoid it.
    Eh, true, it's probably not worth it, thanks for the info :P

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    No support for argument, 17 posts, "back in my day" conclusion...

Does that even do anything?
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Deleted
    On one hand you got the exiting stuff that are posted from Data mine
    On the other hand you got the exiting stuff that are discovered.

Whatever floats your boat i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legends303 View Post
    It undermines the game and never keeps the new content fresh since most people what is already in the new content. The content also barely changes from ptr. If you want to see the new content they should make everyone download the ptr instead of relying on sites like wowhead perculia would be out a job which makes me more happy. I mean back in vanillia data mining didn’t exist and we were fine.
    Excuse me?

Thottbot demands its glory too! Used that for quite a while. And no, they shouldn't ban it. If you, or anyone, feel like they are watered out due to social fan sites of speculations and theories, then I would suggest to not use them.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Ban datamining" is like saying "Ban water" hahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahaha this game needs datamining so that is can even stay on the surfers XD

It undermines the game and never keeps the new content fresh since most people what is already in the new content. The content also barely changes from ptr. If you want to see the new content they should make everyone download the ptr instead of relying on sites like wowhead perculia would be out a job which makes me more happy. I mean back in vanillia data mining didn’t exist and we were fine.
    Turns out Lucid Nightmare, Kosmuth, Mind Wyrm, and the darter pet weren't data mined. Sure, people found their files in game (be it live or PTR) but no one knew how to get/unlock them or if it was even possible to get them.

Also, new content released on Live is still fresh because a majority of players don't play on PTR or even look into these kind of sites. I pretty much glance at this site if anything looks interesting, and all I know about Allied races are there's 6 of them and LF Dranei explode when they die. You can argue that boss fights and questlines can be "spoiled" or researched before hand but in all the guilds I have been in, every single one of them go in blind for the first few attempts. Your argument/vendetta is dumb.

First, datamining is nothing that can be "banned". Blizz can limit access to information, which in turn will lower the quality standard since more errors and bugs will go unnoticed, but once the software is out there on the PTR, they can't do jack, and they certainly shouldn't try to infantilize their players and make "laws" about what they should know or not. Every player can decide whether he wants to look for something new on mmo-c or wowhead or whatever site there is. Does it spoil the fun of exploration? For sure, but it's still the player's decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmaim Deathbringer View Post
    "Ban datamining" is like saying "Ban water" hahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahaha this game needs datamining so that is can even stay on the surfers XD
    WoW'd be fine without datamining. People would just need to manually find things out on either PTR or live. Perhaps DBM would take a bit longer to make stuff foolproof, but that's it.

Deleted
    I don't think it should be banned, but I think things like raid testing should be for a closed group that can't or don't participate competitively on live.
    Also things like class abilities etc. are fine and what keep sites like wowhead going and players visiting those sites, but information on what tank, dps or healer is likely to be superior should be (to the best of their ability) kept secret, lol.

Info on the new content is pretty harmless but when you can gain an insight into an encounter or what class/spec is going to flourish in that raid environment I think it just diminishes the competitiveness or the desire to compete knowing that if a majority of your guild haven't been on ptr preparing strats and instead waited for live then you are at a significant disadvantage. Perhaps this doesn't apply to the majority of players, but for some-one who likes to compete for server firsts it somewhat irks me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Its easy. Dont come to these websites.
    Even if you wont read them it will still affect you.

Think blizzard should stop making games, as people end up playing them and then find out what happens at the end of it... It's unfair!!

Fact of the matter is, Blizzard is fine with Dataminers when they make the files available. We don't know the bulk of what BFA has. Why? Because Blizzard still holds those files for themselves. Once the Beta is released and those files are available we'll have those who Datamine the fuck out of them and release the info for it.

You may not be fine with it. Blizzard seems to be fine with it. Otherwise they would hold all of their work for themselves and release nothing until the day prior to a Patch/Expansions release.

I think they should ban the PTR. Top guilds have time to "test" and learn the new raids before they are out and then "race" to 1st..... it's like getting 95% of the answers to a test early and then just have to figure out the other 5%.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

For starters hardly anyone visits MMO champion or other websites for information. Typically the communities that come here are raiders and avid players. Not the normal or casual players. I have friends that have never even been on the MMO Site unless I link a picture of a mount or pet. MMO Champion has 20,000 active members. Let's assume all the vanilla threads are right and WoW has 2 million subs left. That 20,000 members is 1% of the player base.

Second; WoW was not fine in Vanilla. You had bugs in the game that lasted months.