Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    So... chewing gum in public IS illegal?
    No, it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    The best way to deal with drug crimes is to provide rehabilitation. There was a good youtube video going around explaining it. Other countries that took the "help the people, not punish them" approach solved their drug problem. Unlikely in the current climate though, since a good half of the political spectrum is against doing anything for prisoners besides locking them up and ruining their lives forever.
    In America, a criminal is a resource for our privately owned jails. What incentive do we have to help people when it's profitable to do the opposite? The biggest company is literally called Corrections Corporation of America. Hilary was going to stop private prisons until Trump was elected. And you know Trump loves his free market.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    https://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v...S7isQ1VXNI0EpG

Wonder if we could do that here. At least in the major cities I think we can.
    If your goal is to reduce crime, the best solution whould be economical changes to better distribute wealth. Relative poverty is the leading cause for crime.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I am not. Sessions has his shit in a blind trust, but he kept some stocks in private prisons.

And to answer your question, just about everything right now. And a solution is far from apparent atm.
    you're almost always wrong

https://www.truthorfiction.com/jeff-...ivate-prisons/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    If your goal is to reduce crime, the best solution whould be economical changes to better distribute wealth. Relative poverty is the leading cause for crime.
    lol what a crock of shit. they certainly do not lack anything. people act the poor in america have it bad when in reality they have it great compared to most countries... sure european nations can compare but we cant afford to be european when have to subsidize their military. we simply are not that rich. maybe if u guys could contribute an extra 250billion a year we could have it great too. talk to me when u ready to step up.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2018-01-17 at 05:45 AM.

If your goal is to reduce crime, the best solution whould be economical changes to better distribute wealth.
    Nope.
    Relative poverty is the leading cause for crime.
    Absolutely not. People choosing to commit crime is the leading cause for crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Why do people insist on spreading lies like this? It's not illegal to be naked in your home. It's illegal to expose yourself to public view from your home.
    So basically any room that has a window. Which in most abodes is every room. So yes it's illegal to be naked in your own home which is a stupid fucked up law to "protect." muh moralities which are outdated and thankfully dropped in civilized societies. Unlike your backward dictatorship pretending to be a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    So basically any room that has a window. Which in most abodes is every room. So yes it's illegal to be naked in your own home which is a stupid fucked up law to "protect." muh moralities which are outdated and thankfully dropped in civilized societies. Unlike your backward dictatorship pretending to be a democracy.
    No, it's not illegal. Just cover the window.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol what a crock of shit. they certainly do not lack anything. people act the poor in america have it bad when in reality they have it great compared to most countries... sure european nations can compare but we cant afford to be european when have to subsidize their military. we simply are not that rich. maybe if u guys could contribute an extra 250billion a year we could have it great too. talk to me when u ready to step up.
    The real crock of shit is that insisting because people in developing countries experience a deeper kind of poverty that poverty in developed countries isn't real.

I use the term 'developed country' loosely since it's amusing to call a country where people have to crowdfund money to buy insulin 'developed'.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a proximate cause, not an ultimate cause.

But hey, stupid and shallow laws passed primarily for the benefit of the police state rather than the actual public be stupid and shallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's a proximate cause, not an ultimate cause.

But hey, stupid and shallow laws passed primarily for the benefit of the police state rather than the actual public be stupid and shallow.
    Yeah man, committing crimes because you can't afford to buy a 72" TV really makes relative poverty the cause for crime.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-17 at 06:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah man, committing crimes because you can't afford to buy a TV is real.
    No, but lack of social investment is a real thing - as are the myriad of other social and economic causes for crime.

Putting it down to 'lack of virtue' is, again, stupid and shallow thinking by people whose thought process stops at "crime is bad".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    We tried being harder on crime in the 90's. All it caused was a bunch of single parents and fucked up kids

No, but lack of social investment is a real thing - as are the myriad of other social and economic causes for crime.

Putting it down to 'lack of virtue' is, again, stupid and shallow thinking by people whose thought process stops at "crime is bad".
    Not being able to afford a 72" TV doesn't mean it's relative poverty that is the cause, it's your greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter
    There are non economic crimes and there are wealthy people who still choose to commit crimes, so I can see why you might say this; however, for a large number of crimes the question still remains -- why did they make that choice?

Was there a lack of education? Often that traces back to poverty. We can go through a long list of reasons, and you'll find that many of the factors shaping them cannot be neatly separated from poverty -- either outright lack of money, envy of a perceived inequality, or just crappy conditions at home or growing up. Not every person who is confronted with such choices will choose crime, but those who do choose crime are frequently influenced by those factors.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not being able to afford a 72" TV doesn't mean it's relative poverty that is the cause, it's your greed.
    Yet another conservative that doesn't understand the difference between proximate and ultimate. Shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    In America, a criminal is a resource for our privately owned jails. What incentive do we have to help people when it's profitable to do the opposite? The biggest company is literally called Corrections Corporation of America. Hilary was going to stop private prisons until Trump was elected. And you know Trump loves his free market.
    Yeah, private prisons are honestly disgusting. The incentive is long term investment. The general thought pattern is, if we use the justice system only to punish and demean, then we only create more effective criminals. I believe a common sentiment is, people go in after making a mistake, and come out hardened criminals. For those sentenced with a felony, their lives are essentially ruined for private sector jobs. Some public sectors have begun to stop asking about previous charges, so there is some hope there.

If we instead shift the paradigm on prisons from locking people up to rehabilitating them, they will be able to re-enter society and become productive. Other countries have implemented programs such as GED, Vocational Training, and permitting their inmates to attend online college (and some even offering in person instruction). After serving 5-10 years, they are able to leave with actual valuable skills, especially those needed by the larger society, and prosper.

Imagine if America was able to fill its great need for trade skills and vocation, by educating its inmates, instead of importing foreigners.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Yeah, private prisons are honestly disgusting. The incentive is long term investment. The general thought pattern is, if we use the justice system only to punish and demean, then we only create more effective criminals. I believe a common sentiment is, people go in after making a mistake, and come out hardened criminals. For those sentenced with a felony, their lives are essentially ruined for private sector jobs. Some public sectors have begun to stop asking about previous charges, so there is some hope there.

If we instead shift the paradigm on prisons from locking people up to rehabilitating them, they will be able to re-enter society and become productive. Other countries have implemented programs such as GED, Vocational Training, and permitting their inmates to attend online college (and some even offering in person instruction). After serving 5-10 years, they are able to leave with actual valuable skills, especially those needed by the larger society, and prosper.

Imagine if America was able to fill its great need for trade skills and vocation, by educating its inmates, instead of importing foreigners.
    how many people in USA are in private prisons? what % of the total population is that? since you seem to know so much i would figure you would have these answer off the top of your head... you know, since you have so many talking points and FACTS.

and do you really think we dont have ged programs in prisons?

Yet another conservative that doesn't understand the difference between proximate and ultimate. Shocker.
    Do you understand what relative poverty is? It's income equality. If you're going to rant about how relative poverty is the leading cause for crime then your argument is bullshit. People in relative poverty can't afford luxuries but they still live a decent life. If they commit crime to obtain the luxuries, it's their greed and choice to do so. Not their supposed poverty. If you argued that absolute poverty can make people commit crime out of need I'd certainly agree but relative poverty? Fuck no.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-17 at 06:14 AM.

how many people in USA are in private prisons? what % of the total population is that? since you seem to know so much i would figure you would have these answer off the top of your head... you know, since you have so many talking points and FACTS.
    First result from Google, didn't fact check it and it looks like an activism site, so they may skew numbers in their favor.

Private prisons in the United States incarcerated 126,272 people in 2015, representing 8% of the total state and federal prison population. Since 2000, the number of people housed in private prisons has increased 45%. (Source)

Edit: just noticed the jab, thought you were serious: Not sure what "facts" I used in my statement, it was pretty obviously an opinion post.

I guess I did use the "fact" that some public sector jobs have stopped asking about criminal past. I assumed it was fairly common knowledge, since it has been linked loads on the forum in all of our prison/jail threads, but here's one example for brevity's sake: https://americanchecked.com/new-cali...ive-july-2017/
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2018-01-17 at 06:19 AM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you understand what relative poverty is? It's income equality. If you're going to rant about how relative poverty is the leading cause for crime then your argument is bullshit. People in relative poverty can't afford luxuries but they still live a decent life. If they commit crime to obtain the luxuries, it's their greed and choice to do so. Not their poverty. If you argued that absolute poverty can make people commit crime, I'd certainly agree but relative poverty? Fuck no.
    Man, it's almost as if poverty's societal effects are as much if not moreso a function of social investment and someone's place in the socioeconomic order as exactly how much someone is suffering.

Arguing that "people should be grateful for what they have" is the viewpoint of entitled first world citizens that shuts down discussion of issues rather than actually analyses them. Which is why, again, it is stupid and shallow.

would race be proximate or ultimate