Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Saying to give them money or they commit crime is blackmail, by definition. It's not incentive.
    Cool story. That's not what we're discussing.

Go check a dictionary.
    I am so glad that complex concepts like poverty and crime can be reduced to simple dictionary definitions.

Oh wait, they can't.

You are the one complaining that I support corporal punishment. That they're pieces of shit that do not respect other peoples property is enough for me. It's up to them to behave, not for me to change their behaviour. They are responsible for their own lives and conduct, if they want to throw away their freedom then they can do so but that's no fault of mine nor the state, it's their own fault, through their own choices.
    As said, the onus is on you to provide substantiation for your position. Otherwise it's just empty words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    As said, the onus is on you to provide substantiation for your position. Otherwise it's just empty words.
    I support corporal punishment. That's the substantiation. I don't really know why this is so hard for you to understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support corporal punishment. That's the substantiation. I don't really know why this is so hard for you to understand.
    That isn't substantiation. You're stating an opinion that has absolutely no backing or substance.

Would you prefer if I just called your opinion shallow.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

That isn't substantiation.
    substantiate
    verb (used with object), substantiated, substantiating.
    to establish by proof or competent evidence:

So me saying that I support corporal punishment is not substantiation because you don't believe me? What a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    So me saying that I support corporal punishment is not substantiation because you don't believe me? What a joke.
    Oh look, dictionary definitions.

Suddenly I understand the preference for semantic arguments, lol.

Oh look, dictionary definitions.

Suddenly I understand the preference for semantic arguments, lol.
    You are asking me to provide proof for my support of corporal punishment. Which is fucking absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are asking me to provide proof for my support of corporal punishment. Which is fucking absurd.
    I'm asking you to substantiate your argument that corporal punishment is a valid punishment for nonviolent crimes. Which...you haven't.

I'm asking you to substantiate your argument that corporal punishment is a valid punishment for nonviolent crimes. Which...you haven't.
    If a country wants to cut the hands off people who engage in theft that's a valid punishment in that country. Same goes for corporal punishment in Singapore. Just because you don't like the penalties doesn't make them not valid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a country wants to cut the hands off people who engage in theft that's a valid punishment in that country. Same goes for corporal punishment in Singapore. Just because you don't like the penalties doesn't make them not valid.
    I'd ask you to defend it but you'll probably just post another dictionary definition of the word 'valid'. Lol.

I'd ask you to defend it but you'll probably just post another dictionary definition of the word 'valid'. Lol.
    I already have, it's a deterrent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter
    it's a deterrent
    It is promoted as a deterrent, those who already would not commit a crime may feel it is a deterrent, but when examined critically is there evidence that it is more effective as a deterrent than a fine, rehabilitative training, social disapproval, or confinement? In other words, is it actually a deterrent, or is it one of those "well everyone knows" things? As an additional complication, is it so effective as a deterrent (assuming it is one at all) that the positives outweigh the negatives?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Singapore should not be anyone's model for anything.

Sorry, Singapore.
    They rank very high in education (and generally, Human Development) rankings. Somewhat closer to the thread's topic, they rank right up there with Scandinavia on the Corruption Perception Index.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If you want to reduce crime then you need to reduce poverty.
    Which Singapore is also doing. They are #3 in PPP-adjusted GDP per capita rankings compiled by IMF and the World Bank.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not illegal to be naked in your home. It's illegal to expose yourself to public view from your home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    So basically any room that has a window. Which in most abodes is every room. So yes it's illegal to be naked in your own home which is a stupid fucked up law to "protect."
    There's this new thing called "curtains".

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    They rank very high in education (and generally, Human Development) rankings. Somewhat closer to the thread's topic, they rank right up there with Scandinavia on the Corruption Perception Index.
    I mean, there are worse places in the world sure, but its ranking for eg, human rights is nothing to brag about.

Over here it's mostly known as the kind of place where you go to get cheap shit that "fell off the back of a truck".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I mean, there are worse places in the world sure, but its ranking for eg, human rights is nothing to brag about.

Over here it's mostly known as the kind of place where you go to get cheap shit that "fell off the back of a truck".
    Agreed, they do not share the Western view on human rights. I just pointed out that there are still things they do right. I especially envy their focus on education in times when my own government seems hellbent on wrecking education completely.

Agreed, they do not share the Western view on human rights. I just pointed out that there are still things they do right. I especially envy their focus on education in times when my own government seems hellbent on wrecking education completely.
    Okay I'll concede that maybe it can be someone's model for something, just not in this case, its attitude to crime.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    It is promoted as a deterrent, those who already would not commit a crime may feel it is a deterrent, but when examined critically is there evidence that it is more effective as a deterrent than a fine, rehabilitative training, social disapproval, or confinement? In other words, is it actually a deterrent, or is it one of those "well everyone knows" things?
    It serves both as physical punishment and psychological in form of humiliation. You're not just sentenced to caning, it's an additional penalty on top of the prison sentence. It is part of the reason for the low crime rate so, yes.

To those who don't care about any penalties? No, no penalty is effective on them but it does serve as a deterrent for people who could have second thoughts about committing a crime when they think about what penalty they might receive when caught.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    As an additional complication, is it so effective as a deterrent (assuming it is one at all) that the positives outweigh the negatives?
    In my opinion? Yes. People who think the justice system should only be about rehabilitation might think otherwise though. I think the justice system should be about making sure victims get justice, which includes punishing offenders for their wrongdoing to the victim(s) and the punishments also act as a deterrent to future criminals who would think about committing similar crimes. You also should have a rehabilitation program on top of that but you shouldn't let people off without proper punishment for their wrongdoings.

It's certainly not having any negative effects on Singapore at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Human rights are a pretty bullshit concept for several reasons. Used as leverage against those politicians don't like but then they often ignore them when it suits them themselves.

Human rights violations going on in Myanmar, sanctions were imposed but then Obama lifts them in the midst of an ongoing genocide? Doesn't really make me think he values human rights that much.

There's not even agreement among the countries in the world in what should and shouldn't be a human right.

Lack of enforceability is the major reason why they're bullshit though.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-17 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Fixed that for ya....
    Both sentences would be true. I have no illusions that both sides are basically the same, how about you? DO you think both comments would be accurate, or are you still in denial?

Human rights are a pretty bullshit concept for several reasons.
    Goooooooonna have to stop you right there.

Goooooooonna have to stop you right there.
    As if you could ever make any country adhere to human rights when they don't want to.

Well to the extent that Singapore's system works, it works because it's a small country where the government can afford to micromanage every aspect of life, something that wouldn't work even in a moderately sized European country, nevermind the USA. A lot of dictators have cited Singapore to justify their own authoritarian policies, but somehow they never managed to replicate that success at home.