Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Facebook selfie showing murder weapon helps convict killer

Saskatoon police say a Facebook selfie was instrumental in a murder investigation that ended in a guilty plea and a seven-year prison sentence for the killer.

On Monday morning, 21-year-old Cheyenne Rose Antoine pleaded guilty to killing 18-year-old Brittney Gargol, who was discovered fatally injured on a road near the Saskatoon landfill two years ago.

Antoine says Gargol was her best friend and they had been out drinking on the night of her death and got into an argument. Antoine says she doesn't remember strangling her friend to death, but doesn't dispute that she killed her.

Antoine was initially charged with second-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to manslaughter inside a Saskatoon courtroom. She was sentenced to seven years behind bars — a joint submission request from the Crown and defence — early Monday afternoon.

In court, Crown prosecutor Robin Ritter outlined a complicated investigation that took nearly two years to complete.

One key piece of evidence was a belt, believed to be the murder weapon, that was found lying by Gargol's body. A selfie on Facebook, posted hours before Gargol's body was found, showed Antoine wearing that same belt, which ultimately made her a suspect in the crime.

Police used more Facebook posts to develop a timeline of Antoine and Gargol's movements on the night of Gargol's death.

"It's quite remarkable how the police developed this information," said Ritter.

The prosecutor said Antoine also used social media to lead police on a wild goose chase. Several hours after Gargol's death, the accused posted on Facebook, asking where Brittney was.

Cheyanne Antoine, 21, was originally charged with second-degree murder in the death of Brittney Gargol. (Saskatoon Police Service)

She also told police the pair went to several bars, and Gargol eventually met an unknown man and they left together.

Police were able to poke holes in Antoine's story that the pair went to the Colonial Pub and Grill after reviewing security tape evidence that showed they were never at the bar.

Ultimately, a tip led police to a witness, who said Antoine confessed to the killing that night.

After getting drunk, Antoine told the friend that she hit Gargol and strangled her. She showed up at her friend's house, and hysterically confessed to how she had hurt her friend.

Ultimately, she told a friend she killed Gargol after getting into an fight.

"No doubt this young women has issues...and because of those issues she is dangerous," said Ritter.

'Far too young'

Ritter said Gargol was found unresponsive on the side of Valley Road, on the southern outskirts of Saskatoon. The man who found her said she was cold to the touch, had no shoes on and was lying on her back.

"There were never any signs of life detected," Ritter said. "She was far too young when she was killed."

Members of Gargol's family also came forward to provide victim impact statements.

"Most days we can't stop thinking about Brittney what happened that night, what she must have felt fighting for her life," said her aunt, Jennifer Gargol.

Antoine said Gargol was her best friend and that the two were out drinking and partying on the night of the killing.

While Antoine accepted responsibility for Gargol's death, through her lawyer she said she didn't remember killing her friend.

"She knows the family would like an explanation, a reason, but unfortunately she can't provide that," said Lisa Watson, Antoine's lawyer.

Though she did not address the court directly, Antoine did issue a statement through her lawyer.

"I will never forgive myself. Nothing I say or do will ever bring her back. I am very, very sorry...It shouldn't have ever happened," she said.

Kristi Wickenhauser, Gargol's stepmother, said her young daughter, Gargol's sister, feels guilty if a day goes by that she doesn't think of Brittney.

She was five years old at the time of the killing.
    Police realised that Antoine's Facebook post on Gargol's personal page the following morning - "Where are you? Haven't heard from you. Hope you made it home safe" - was a diversion. She had also asked her uncle to provide a false alibi.

And eventually she confessed to a friend.

Antoine now says the pair were drunk and high on marijuana when they got into a heated argument.

She accepts she is responsible for strangling her best friend - although she says she doesn't actually remember the events.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rder-1.4487758

Wow!
    Thankfully justice was done.
    What kind of person kills their best friend? It's a dangerous world out there people, be careful.

With weed becoming legal are we going to see more of this? I'm worried

10+ Year Old Account
    Committing murder and showing the murder weapon on Facebook gotta get those thumbs up. SMH
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account

Absolutely!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Committing murder and showing the murder weapon on Facebook gotta get those thumbs up. SMH
    That's not what happened here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Law View Post
    ded u red teh airtcle?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this, not really what my comment was about but thanks. The point is just about the culture of facebook in general.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2018-01-19 at 01:48 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post

Wow!
    What kind of person kills their best friend? It's a dangerous world out there people, be careful.

What a dumb fucking question, weed doesn't make you kill people, alcohol on the other hand. Please be worried, be worried of the boogie man, Bigfoot, and aliens doing anal probes. Oh and Uber, I forgot you're afraid of Uber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

More murders are committed by sober people. So with that logic we should actually all get high as fuck. Just about as dumb of logic as the OP but hey it had to be said.

[url]
    People already smoke weed but I'm going to bet it was the alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    ded u red teh airtcle?
    Did you? She didn't kill her friend then take a pic with the murder weapon. Show me in the article where it says she did.

Wow!

First, justice wasn't done. 7 Years for murdering your best friend? wtf... you can get more time MUCH less.
    Second, why even add that dumb ass question about weed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    ded u red teh airtcle?
    You didn't. The murder weapon was the belt she was wearing in the picture right before they went out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    I know this, not really what my comment was about but thanks. The point is just about the culture of facebook in general.
    Kinda like you on here? Pointless thread after pointless thread. You do it for the same reason, attention.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    She stranged her friend with a belt. The same belt the murderer had on in a selfie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Kinda like you on here? Pointless thread after pointless thread. You do it for the same reason, attention.
    Why are you being so mean to him? That's now we operate in Canada.

She stranged her friend with a belt. The same belt the murderer had on in a selfie.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you being so mean to him? That's now we operate in Canada.
    No, they strangle their friends with belts, my bad, let me go get my belt.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok listen

Taking a pic with your friend, going out, coming home, strangling her with a belt, leaving behind the evidence, cops find evidence, link it to the pic you took before you went out and come to the conclusion it was you, is not the same as killing your friend and going online to take a selfie with the weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever actually met a stoner before?

The worst most of them will do is burst into tears when the ice cream machine at McDonalds breaks at 1am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, not buying that the weed is to blame more than the alcohol is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Have you ever actually met a stoner before?

The worst most of them will do is burst into tears when the ice cream machine at McDonalds breaks at 1am.
    I don't associate with criminals. Why would I want to be around them?

10+ Year Old Account
    7 year sentence for murder!?!?!? wtf!?!? lol

Mary Jane ... not even once.

Them weeds is gonna make you people into godless sexual perverts that go around killing people.

Why isn’t Canada doing more to stop this kind of thing from happening? Sure God-King Trudeau could fix this with a flick of the wrist.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours