Emerging FISA scandal (We're taking your Deep State away from you)

The allegations out there seem to be that the Obama administration was guilty of massive abuse involving the FISA courts. Interesting enough, the House Permanent Select committee on Intelligence has had its twitter account banned (@HPSCI https://twitter.com/HPSCI ). Will this be the end of the deep state?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...de-public.html

A four-page memo circulating in Congress that reveals alleged United States government surveillance abuses is being described by lawmakers as “shocking,” “troubling” and “alarming,” with one congressman likening the details to KGB activity in Russia.

Speaking with Fox News, the lawmakers said they could not yet discuss the contents of the memo they reviewed on Thursday after it was released to members by the House Intelligence Committee. But they say the memo should be immediately made public.

“It is so alarming the American people have to see this,” Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan said.

“It's troubling. It is shocking,” North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows said. “Part of me wishes that I didn't read it because I don’t want to believe that those kinds of things could be happening in this country that I call home and love so much.”

Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz said he believed people could lose their jobs after the memo is released.

“I believe the consequence of its release will be major changes in people currently working at the FBI and the Department of Justice,” he said, referencing DOJ officials Rod Rosenstein and Bruce Ohr.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"It's alarming the american people have to see this!"

See what? Nothing to see but republicans shouting the sky is falling again in that article. Get back when there is something to see.

Is Hillary still the president of the deep state? or was it Oprah now?

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    The allegations out there seem to be that the Obama administration was guilty of massive abuse involving the FISA courts. Interesting enough, the House Permanent Select committee on Intelligence has had its twitter account banned (@HPSCI https://twitter.com/HPSCI ). Will this be the end of the deep state?

You are trying so hard to be the Anti-Skroe here, but you failed miserably when you posted a fucking FOX NEWS ARTICLE. Especially one from such a sorry Trump cockholster in Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan. Those 2 right there pretty much can be ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conspiracy theories aren't allowed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    You are trying so hard to be the Anti-Skroe here, but you failed miserably when you posted a fucking FOX NEWS ARTICLE. Especially one from such a sorry Trump cockholster in Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan. Those 2 right there pretty much can be ignored.
    Nunes is cited too if you look at the full article.

I imagine the GOP are going to do anything they can to appear relevant.

But...they voted to re-authorize this anyway, no?

If it's so troubling, why did they rubber stamp this earlier this month?

Also, let the report come out, I'd be interested to see. Because as far as I recall over the past year, every time Republican officials have come forward hand-wringing and worry-warting about something "serious" it's literally turned out to be them lying/blatantly misrepresenting things and a total "nothingburger".

"Deep state" still doesn't exist though, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Nunes is cited too if you look at the full article.
    So we get a trio of Trump Cockholsters? Not entirely surprising. They don't like that Trump and his campaign got caught on wiretaps when they were talking to the Russians, apparently.

I'm surprised he hasn't come back complaining about us believing the Russia stuff (which there is evidence for) and not known lying republicans making claims without providing evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post

Oh, I really hope it is the end of the Deep State. I would love for you guys to shut up about it. Also, I thought republicans were against releasing state secrets that were vital to fighting evil terrorists?

Government surveillance being very scary and legally shaky is a pretty open secret, you know about Snowden, right? It is about as shocking as when it was revealed that WWE was fake. So if they are looking for something to pin on Obama, that is a pretty easy target, so is the overseas Drone program. For the record, I wouldn't mind at all if they tear this program up and start holding people actually accountable, but I doubt they will do that. This looks like an excuse to fire Rosenstein so they can get someone that will actually fire Mueller. It isn't like they are actually going to do anything to stop Surveillance, although I really wish somebody would get that nightmare under control, it won't be these shills.

Incoming rest of the thread being Venant and Theo ignoring everyone else while they wring their hands over the Deep State.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Incoming rest of the thread being Venant and Theo ignoring everyone else while they wring their hands over the Deep State.
    I miss when Venant was my buddy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Yeah, kinda funny how both of them have over half of the forum on ignore.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    But...they voted to re-authorize this anyway, no?

If it's so troubling, why did they rubber stamp this earlier this month?

Also, let the report come out, I'd be interested to see. Because as far as I recall over the past year, every time Republican officials have come forward hand-wringing and worry-warting about something "serious" it's literally turned out to be them lying/blatantly misrepresenting things and a total "nothingburger".

"Deep state" still doesn't exist though, yo.
    Apparently they snuck in a line that requires unmasking of presidential transition team members to be reported to the SSCI and HPSCI within 14 days.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2018-01-19 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Is Hillary still the president of the deep state? or was it Oprah now?
    I thought it was Ellen Degeneres...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I thought it was Ellen Degeneres...
    I believe Ellen is Secretary of (Deep) State.

So now you think... FISC is the deep state?

I mean, that's hilarious in and of itself, but want to hear something even funnier?

Allegations of bias
    In a July 2013 interview, Senator and privacy advocate Ron Wyden described the FISC warrant process as "the most one-sided legal process in the United States". "I don't know of any other legal system or court that really doesn't highlight anything except one point of view", he said. Later in the interview he said Congress should seek to "diversify some of the thinking on the court".

Elizabeth Gotein, a co-director of the Liberty and National Security Program of the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, has criticized the court as being too compromised to be an impartial tribunal that oversees the work of the NSA and other U.S. intelligence activities. Since the court meets in secret, hears only the arguments of the government prior to deciding a case, and its rulings cannot be appealed or even reviewed by the public, she has argued that: "Like any other group that meets in secret behind closed doors with only one constituency appearing before them, they're subject to capture and bias."

A related bias of the court results from what critics such as Julian Sanchez, a scholar at the Cato Institute, have described as the near certainty of the polarization or groupthink of the judges of the court. Since all of the judges are appointed by the same person (the Chief Justice of the United States), as of 2013 nearly all currently serving judges are of the same political party (the Republican Party), hear no opposing testimony and feel no pressure from colleagues or the public to moderate their rulings, group polarization is almost a certainty. "There's the real possibility that these judges become more extreme over time, even when they had only a mild bias to begin with", Sanchez said

----

As of 2017, Chief Justice John Roberts has appointed all of the current judges, four of whom were nominated to their District Court judgeships by a Democratic President.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ations_of_bias

So the dastardly secret Deep State mastermind was... John Roberts!

And he would've gotten away with it too...

P.S. Obligatory "lol Fox news".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The overreach of FISA courts is nothing new. here's the problem, by their mandate, they are practically above the law by design. This was the case under Bush, it was the case under Obama, and it's still the case under Trump. All three of them approved of such actions.

We don't allow conspiracy threads like "Deep State".

Closing
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis