Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I thought "Summon Monkey" was a gender neutral term. I know "Portal/Food Monkey" is gender neutral because I have both a male and female mage.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    Warlock: a man who professes or is supposed to practice magic or sorcery

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/warlock
    fantasy setting examples don't always conform to real world equivalents. but you can go ahead and get stuck on this idea if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    you do realize a dame isnt the female equivalent of a knight right?

the female version of knights are called... plot twist... knights
    Well have to have something since Warriors have a lock on "Battle Maidens".

There was an argument on trade, and it had me thinking again.

Anyway why aren’t there more gender specific names for classes? For example “Warlock.” Wouldn’t a female warlock just be called a witch? Why isn’t this change represented in the starting menu?

Not all death knights are male, wouldn’t it make since to name females death dames? And what about priests? Priestess is actually a word, why is it that one can only choose the masculine version of a class name?

For example Tyrande is a female priestess of the moon. If she can be a priestess why can’t we?

I just feel like instead of giving 4 bag slots Blizzard should give people creative freedom with what classes they choose.
    Sure, why not?
    • Warrior/Warrioress
    • Paladin/Paladiness
    • Death Knight/Deathess Knightess
    • Hunter/Huntress
    • Shaman/Shamaness
    • Rogue/Rouge
    • Monk/Monkess
    • Druid/Druidess
    • Demon Hunter/Demoness Huntress
    • Warlock/Warlockess
    • Priest/Priestess
    • Mage/Magess

Also, just to correct you, "dame" is not the female equivalent for "knight" if we're speaking of strong, plate-wearing fighters. "Dame" is only the female version of "knight" in the British honors system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Well have to have something since Warriors have a lock on "Battle Maidens".
    Yeah, and the male version of that is "Battle Forever-Alones".

I'm offended that you make assumptions of my warlock's gender. Just because he looks male doesn't mean he can't identify as female. When will you sexist transphobes accept that warlocks are gender neutral and don't have to conform to your primitive binary norms.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    German version has 2 gender warlocks officially (& other classes, except monk/death knight/paladin)

Hexenmeister
    Hexenmeisterin

German forums : https://eu.battle.net/forums/de/wow/

French version has some variants as well.
    Last edited by Teri; 2018-01-20 at 03:56 AM.

They're just not in English language. Try the German version.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    fantasy setting examples don't always conform to real world equivalents. but you can go ahead and get stuck on this idea if you like.
    "real world equivalents"... of warlocks.... ????

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Sure, why not?
    • Warrior/Warrioress
    • Paladin/Paladiness
    • Death Knight/Deathess Knightess
    • Hunter/Huntress
    • Shaman/Shamaness
    • Rogue/Rouge
    • Monk/Monkess
    • Druid/Druidess
    • Demon Hunter/Demoness Huntress
    • Warlock/Warlockess
    • Priest/Priestess
    • Mage/Magess

Also, just to correct you, "dame" is not the female equivalent for "knight" if we're speaking of strong, plate-wearing fighters. "Dame" is only the female version of "knight" in the British honors system.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, and the male version of that is "Battle Forever-Alones".
    You can't just put esse on the end you'll get the Fembots alllll in a tizzy.

Because when you boil it all down, why do fantasy titles and classes NEED gender specific counterparts?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    You can't just put esse on the end you'll get the Fembots alllll in a tizzy.
    I think it's fairly obvious my post was quite tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. If anyone takes it seriously, they need to relax.

Anyway why aren’t there more gender specific names for classes? For example “Warlock.” Wouldn’t a female warlock just be called a witch? Why isn’t this change represented in the starting menu?

Not all death knights are male, wouldn’t it make since to name females death dames? And what about priests? Priestess is actually a word, why is it that one can only choose the masculine version of a class name?

For example Tyrande is a female priestess of the moon. If she can be a priestess why can’t we?

I just feel like instead of giving 4 bag slots Blizzard should give people creative freedom with what classes they choose.
    Honestly because nobody cares. This hasn’t been an issue in 13 years and it’s not an issue now. I’d much rather Blizzard work on actual content then something like this that isn’t even relevant to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious my post was quite tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. If anyone takes it seriously, they need to relax.
    It was obvious to me, but I have a sense of humor. I've noticed a lot of people don't.

Or a druid being a druidess, or Shaman being a Lady Shaman or a Paladin being Paladintess
    or maybe, just maybe, piss off
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Gonna give some out of the box answers to these:

"knight" in the sense of an actual warrior, is a gender neutral term. Honorary knights of the modern British empire have gender-specific titles, sure. But this is a different concept than lower-case "knight" which referred to an occupation. You aren't going to send Sir Bob Geldof out to fight monsters for you, he's a pussy.

Likewise there is a very big difference between "priest" and "priestess". The latter is a specifically pagan term which would never be used by a monotheistic religion like WoW's "Light". A "priestess" as used in WoW is more similar to a witch than an actual priest. The priest class in WoW is much more analogous to an actual Christian priest or a Monk (the European kind, not the Shaolin kind).

Wow kind of gets around the whole "no female priests in Christianity" thing by calling female priests in the game "Bishops", in order to differentiate them from pagan "Priestesses"

Deleted
    Warlock: a man who professes or is supposed to practice magic or sorcery

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/warlock
    this has nothing to do with wow so get out and take your sjw click bait with you. tia

Deleted
    Who the actual **** even cares.

Deleted
    I thought about this once and wondered why, and then realised that there are so many inconsistencies with the meanings of each of these words and their gendered counterparts, and no one really cares enough to bother. Warlock for example is nothing like the term used traditionally in the real world, so Witch doesn't apply as a counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    German version has 2 gender warlocks officially (& other classes, except monk/death knight/paladin)

Hexenmeister
    Hexenmeisterin

German forums : https://eu.battle.net/forums/de/wow/

French version has some variants as well.
    Same goes for the Russian version. Even some races have gender-specific names there. I won't give any examples because they aren't easy to read properly, even in Latin.
    I don't think we need that in the English version though.