Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Is that not insanely illegal? Pretty sure writing something like that would get a serious punishment in Denmark.
    They aren't big on candid truth in Denmark?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I may have misunderstood; I thought Tim Hortons was akin to a Starbucks, just the Canadian home-brand one (sorry Canadians).

And what I thought I was replying to was the poster saying:

From which I thought they meant monopoly in the sense I described: i.e. the only place around you can get coffee because its pushed the "mom and pop" cafe's out of business; rather than that Tim Hortons was getting a monopoly on the minimum wage labour market.
    There's a different terms for labor market monopolies.

Monopsony.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Something along the lines of "When you can afford, because of massive capital, to out price all competing stores while potentially taking a loss, forcing enough of them to close that when you put prices back to standard there isn't enough competition left to actually compete" but I'm guessing that's not at all what monopoly actually means.

Tesco did a similar (does) thing to that in the UK, open up an express retail store, price everything cheaper than the local cornershops/convenience stores so they closed, then do frustrating stuff like hike up the price of milk to 30-40% more than what you had been paying.

Again, I'm sure that's not necessarily what "monopoly" means in the strictest sense (can't you only have a monopoly on a commodity, not a service) I think it fits the "laymans" understanding of it. "Too big for anyone else to fairly compete"...
    That's negative margin price rackets, illegal in many countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    They aren't big on big truth from wherever you are from? The truth in this case is very subjective, and since when was it supported that a company has the right to decide what your beliefs are?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    Well, for example, the cost of living in Sweden here is considered high, but almost every job pays a livable wage. The companies that fail here are companies that sell trash products, as they can't afford to keep employee's on due to lack of customers. I'm not really working off of my "feeling of how the world should work" as much as I'm pulling from examples around me here in Sweden and Denmark.
    You get that it's only a livable wage because of the massive wealth transfers inherent in the Nordic model?
    As a percentage of GDP The Swedish Tax-bite is almost twice that of the US.
    And besides, what Spectral proposes is essentially what is done in Sweden, the Unions make sure that everyone employed gets the same wage, which inherently means that some people are subsidizing their less productive colleagues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Accurately informing the voters of the impact of the policies that the politicians push? no that's illegal, cant have that, they might disagree after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    So a couple of Franchise owners told some people straight up. "Liberal policies are making us revise our business policies. If you dislike what we are being forced to do, feel free to contact the politicians responsible and don't support them." and people are losing their shit? LOL. Cry. Harder. Or go occupy Wall Street again. Worked out great last time eh? This is what you created and now it's coming full circle.

Wasn't it that trash anchor on Face the Nation who decided advocating violence was alright?
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...+Paul+violence

Seems pretty honest all said. If someone wants to keep their job? Don't vote Liberal. Not because the party is some dirty boogey man. Rather because the policies Liberals create usually (or I should say almost always) result in a reduction of jobs. The MMO-Commies on this site can choke on warm kielbasa, and their borsche while they read this with faux outrage, but they had better get used to it.

Because this isn't the first and sure as hell won't be the last person to call out a political party for their inadequancies. I know half of you brainwashed idiots weren't taught this by your tenured hippy professors, but people who run franchises are not doing it for your personal welfare. This isn't about your hope and dreams. Your a number. Work and get paid. You like that yes Comrade? Your happiness and well-being aren't someone else's problem. You want a job with some security and long term stability?

Support politicians that actually bring jobs over and don't castrate the finances of the people who create them. And hey if you don't like this sort of call out? Maybe as that trash reporter said so well: "those who are involved in politics might think about changing the way they behave to change that climate." It would do you a lot of good if you realize this while your young and can work, instead of when your old and have 0 retirement. Just throwing that out there. I should hope this sort of call out is the new normal. Liberals do it all the time in the guise of Union meetings.

Regardless, I now know who's business I will support for my coffee now. Thanks MMOC.

They have half a billion net revenue. Sorry, but the cost of living keeps increasing. Stop trying to blame everything on someone else and increase wages accordingly. They actually can do that without heavy repecursions to their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    They aren't big on big truth from wherever you are from? The truth in this case is very subjective, and since when was it supported that a company has the right to decide what your beliefs are?
    It didn't decide, nor did it presume to decide. It stated a causal relationship between it's business operation and the leadership in the government. You reap what you sow, is what that comment about voting Liberal amounts to.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love it when government and big business try to both ram their dicks through the divide and see which one jams itself home with the people first. Corporate greed and government ineptitude are both to blame here, and both should be shunned equally by the voting public. Look at it this way though @Hubcap, that horse faced hag WON'T be getting re-elected, unless people in this province really are as retarded as I think they are. The only people stupid enough to vote for her are government union employees and rich people who get tax breaks and government funding because of her. Aside from that, maybe the people in downtown Toronto who voted for her last time will realize their mistake, or they will be the one's who fuck us over, either way, it doesn't matter who gets elected so long as there is a change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Accurately informing the voters of the impact of the policies that the politicians push? no that's illegal, cant have that, they might disagree after all.
    Informing voters about political policies is not illegal.

Telling employees that they shouldn't vote for X party and therefore suggesting that they would be getting better payments because of it? This is called blackmail.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Sounds fair to me. The Liberals are responsible, not the franchise owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Informing voters about political policies is not illegal.

Telling employees that they shouldn't vote for X party and therefore suggesting that they would be getting better payments because of it? This is called blackmail.
    Mandating salary increases through poorly thought legislation and then attacking the businesses for passing the costs on to employee/customers is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Wow MMO-C has really turned into a political cesspool of conservative idiocy in recent years...
    Can't believe that kid said "hipster fagget" unironically. Or maybe he did and I didn't see it. I always thought more of him, but w/e.

Man they really love to blame everything on liberals ...oohh wait liberals are people who follow liberalism...a centered way of thinking done by both left and right people...
    I think they want to blame the left for it....yeah because they can anything right now...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Gotta love it when government and big business try to both ram their dicks through the divide and see which one jams itself home with the people first. Corporate greed and government ineptitude are both to blame here, and both should be shunned equally by the voting public. Look at it this way though @Hubcap, that horse faced hag WON'T be getting re-elected, unless people in this province really are as retarded as I think they are. The only people stupid enough to vote for her are government union employees and rich people who get tax breaks and government funding because of her. Aside from that, maybe the people in downtown Toronto who voted for her last time will realize their mistake, or they will be the one's who fuck us over, either way, it doesn't matter who gets elected so long as there is a change.
    But Corporate greed is an essential part of being a corporation -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Man they really love to blame everything on liberals ...oohh wait liberals are people who follow liberalism...a centered way of thinking done by both left and right people...
    I think they want to blame the left for it....yeah because they can anything right now...
    Hate to break it to you, but the Liberals is an actual party in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's pretty funny that the exact outcome that's predicted by every basic model of labor economics (artificially high wages leads to worse employment conditions) is reacted to as though it's shocking and unfair.
    High wages? Are you serious? Are you being serious right now. High. Do you KNOW how much it fucking costs to keep a roof over your head in most states right now? If I had a min. wage job right now where I live, I'd probably be in an apartment with 3 other people, or living under a bridge. Wages are fucking insultingly low. This idea of raising min. wage to $15 an hour is probably still lower than it should be, since wages have more or less stagnated over the past decade while cost of living kept climbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Politics should not be involved in the work place.

Cheers

I am 101% sure they will not be cutting

The 35k franchise fee they pay each year to Tim and Co.
    Weekly Royalty fee of 6% of gross sales for the term of the License;
    Monthly Advertising levy of 4% of gross sales for the term of the License.

and btw before anyone feels bad for the owners

The cost of a Tim Hortons franchise varies depending on the restaurant size and location, along with other factors. You must have $1.5million in net worth and $500,000 liquid assets in order to qualify.

You are talking about poor millionaires having to pay a living wage.

Based on a lawsuit back in 2012 the average franchise was making almost 300k profit.
    could only imagine what it is now.

Shares of Restaurant Brands International are up 50 per cent year-over-year, the company’s adjusted per-share earnings surged 45 per cent in 2016, and system-wide sales climbed 5.2 per cent at Tim Hortons and 7.8 per cent at Burger King.

Overall revenue rose to US$4.2 billion in 2016 from US$4.05 billion a year earlier, while the company managed to cut its total operating costs and expenses by 14 per cent to US$2.47 billion from US$2.86 billion.

As a result, its operating margin, the amount of revenue generated after paying operating costs, was 40 per cent in 2016, compared to 31 per cent at the world’s largest fast food company, McDonald’s Corp.

40 percent profit margin, maybe the franchise should be angry at someone other then the workers??

Yup stupid people don't learn, I propose to all the outraged to read the history of Detroit City. Once one of the most prosperous cities in the US... Yup History lessons hurt morons...

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    But Corporate greed is an essential part of being a corporation -

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to break it to you, but the Liberals is an actual party in Canada.
    Yes and you can call a self balancing board a hoverboard....but a hoverboard already existed. Yes they co opted the name but liberalism is not extreme left like people want it to be.
    And country's politics hardly can be compared that easy. What is right in 1 country is left in a other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Employees should stop being such spineless rats.

Get violent with your employers if they try do stuff like this, trash the store, close it down.

Enough is enough.
    Haha. Please. Do exactly what the anonymous internet tough guy suggested so you can be convicted as a felon and be removed from the voting populace. People like the above view point contribute approximately 0 to the system anyways, so nothing of value will be lost. As a formal disclaimer, it may get your teeth smashed in by a Police Officer who was called the Mountain in High School.

But then again we all know Prince Oberyn Martell is totally into that.

This was a sarcasm post if you couldn't tell.