Thread: Shaman Tanks?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Shaman Tanks?

Thought it could be cool if shamans could be tanks. Could harness the power of the earth to protect the shaman. Like a "Earthen Form" a persistent form where we call the earthen elements to cover the body in stone. Somewhat like the bear form for druids. Keep the maelstrom aspect where rockbiter or boulderfist is the generator for maelstrom and aggro. Spend it on stacks of more "stone armor" like how warriors use rage for ignore pain. The list could go on and on. What are your thoughts?

7+ Year Old Account
    This has been going on and on and on
    Lets face it, blizzard isn't going to give us any form of tanking / survivability , even my main tank commented when we were considering a shaman app
    "no more squishy blue things in raid :/"
    4th specs for classes ain't gonna happen anytime in the near future with how blizzard's been going.

Stack up or you get no heals! || Water control perfect, still can't attack with it
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Originally they had tools that made them almost viable tanks. They had sword and shield. Rockbiter weapon increased threat. Earth shock was high threat, almost a taunt. But that was it. I recall them actually tanking back then, but only until plate wearers could wear plate, from then on warriors only.

It would have been interesting to make them tanks. They'd be the only mail wearing tank in game.

Considering there are only 2 Mail wearers... not saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    It would have been interesting to make them tanks. They'd be the only mail wearing tank in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I'd like the idea of a shaman earth warden spec as a tank, I don't think it'll happen because of 1 really stupid reason, artifact weapons.

The only way new specs and classes could ever work is if they started after Legion content, unlockable extra specs have been a thing in many other mmorpgs but I don't really think blizzard would ever want to do this because they already have more than enough trouble managing the specs we currently have in game.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Considering there are only 2 Mail wearers... not saying much.
    Fair enough. But in my mind I have this chart wear what roles wear what and the only ones left unchecked are cloth tank and mail tank

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    As much as I'd like the idea of a shaman earth warden spec as a tank, I don't think it'll happen because of 1 really stupid reason, artifact weapons.

The only way new specs and classes could ever work is if they started after Legion content, unlockable extra specs have been a thing in many other mmorpgs but I don't really think blizzard would ever want to do this because they already have more than enough trouble managing the specs we currently have in game.
    Easier now than ever for them though. You could say the same about classes and legion brought dh's.

Quote Originally Posted by Krue35 View Post
    Thought it could be cool if shamans could be tanks. Could harness the power of the earth to protect the shaman. Like a "Earthen Form" a persistent form where we call the earthen elements to cover the body in stone. Somewhat like the bear form for druids. Keep the maelstrom aspect where rockbiter or boulderfist is the generator for maelstrom and aggro. Spend it on stacks of more "stone armor" like how warriors use rage for ignore pain. The list could go on and on. What are your thoughts?
    Back in Vanilla our guild leader was a resto shaman and on his birthday we had him tank Onyxia. He put together a special spec for it, he already had a 1h axe from BWL and it was our cleanest Onyxia kill ever. Earthshock and Rockbiter weapon held threat like a boss. We had 2 more shaman in his group for tremor totems so he could never be feared. We had warriors on standby for the welps and everything of course but for main tanking a boss like Onyxia, shaman tank rocked it.

I think it would be cool to have Enhancement as tanks... Leave Elemental and Restro as is and have a Healer/RangedDPS/tank combo would be nice
    “See your world through my eyes: A universe so vast as to be immeasurable - incomprehensible even to your greatest minds.”

Use to be to a long time ago. I have done ten man tBC instances with all shamans when it was current content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TidesJP View Post
    I think it would be cool to have Enhancement as tanks
    Just......no

10+ Year Old Account
    I want shaman tanks almost as much as I want warlock healers. It just fits so well with the class fantasy. Four specs, four elements. The speed of air, the power of fire, the purity of water, the resiliency of earth.

I don't foresee fourth specs coming; Blizzard had a great chance to add them in WoD and blew it, and in fact did the opposite. The odds of them ever being added is slim.

I think shaman tanks is kind of cool and could potentially work, but it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    I don't foresee fourth specs coming; Blizzard had a great chance to add them in WoD and blew it, and in fact did the opposite. The odds of them ever being added is slim.

I think shaman tanks is kind of cool and could potentially work, but it's not going to happen.
    people always point at druids and whine that its not fair they have 4 specs. the only reason they have 4 specs was to nerf the fact that a tank who could instantly do full dps when offtanking was too strong.

it wasnt as a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post

Now imagine you are a "tanking spec" shaman going through legion, what do you actually miss? The order hall quest-line from finding the weapon at 108 to the very few quest that upgrade it (some of them already semi obsolete before legions even ends!). So they could just give you generic weapon, you can still go through MAJORITY of the quest line in the 4 zones. You are not missing much seriously.

Deleted
    I think it would be cool to have Enhancement as tanks... Leave Elemental and Restro as is and have a Healer/RangedDPS/tank combo would be nice
    Ranged pussy. >
    4th spec tank I approve.

I think it would be cool to have Enhancement as tanks...
    You leave my enhancement shaman alone, I feel like whenever I see people say this that they don't actually play Enhancement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    people always point at druids and whine that its not fair they have 4 specs. the only reason they have 4 specs was to nerf the fact that a tank who could instantly do full dps when offtanking was too strong.

it wasnt as a favor.
    Yet shamans hace more reason lore wise at least to have 4 specs then probably any other class in game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddahpal View Post
    You leave my enhancement shaman alone, I feel like whenever I see people say this that they don't actually play Enhancement.
    Well, duh, they have no problem removing the spec they dont play! ;>
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Master all 4 spec of air, water, fire and earth, and you can now play the ultimate hidden fifth spec of love, which involves summoning love elemental to.... do things...

Quote Originally Posted by gobio View Post
    Master all 4 spec of air, water, fire and earth, and you can now play the ultimate hidden fifth spec of love, which involves summoning love elemental to.... do things...
    And with those powers combined, you can summon Captain Thrall!