Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Deaf mum sues concert promoter over lack of interpretor.

Sally is deaf and booked for herself and two deaf friends to go with their daughters who are all able to hear.

In order that she and her two friends could fully access the performance, Sally asked the organisers, LHG Live, to provide a British Sign Language interpreter.

She was initially offered carer tickets and told that she could bring her own interpreter, but she didn't consider that met her needs or amounted to full access.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42776454
    So I am usually the first person to side with people when they are discriminated against, but in this story I find myself at odds with Sally. I get that she is deaf so can't enjoy the music, but that is not the promoters fault. She bought a ticket for a concert, concerts are for people that can hear, its not discriminatory in much the same way that fireworks displays don't have audio descriptions of shapes and colours for blind people.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Deleted
    This is a good example of why society needs a way to not give a shit about what some woman thinks.

Deleted
    Society, government and businesses don't have to bend every way just to make everything available/accessible for every damn handicap.

It's great if there are options, but people still have a responsibility of their own.

Last edited by mmoce9a47a3159; 2018-01-24 at 01:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I think of a concert, I think of events with hundreds or thousands of attendees. If that's the case. Paying one person to sign shouldn't be too excessive of a cost for a promoter.

This sounds like a blind man going to a silent moving then suing because the movie theater didn't have someone available to read the captions to him. Aka ridiculous.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    A deaf person going to a concert is a lot like a blind person going to see a magician.
    Not really, i've seen deaf people come to events just for a chance to feel the music coming out of speakers.

I'm suing hollywood for not producing movies in my language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    "We consulted with her recommended agency and agreed to provide the professional interpreter of her choice for the Little Mix show.

"This included specific staging and lighting, and a set list in advance."

LHG Live also provided upgraded tickets, access to private accessible toilets and all public announcements on giant screens either side of the main stage.
    So they went out of their way to help her and she still sued them? I bet they wish they hadn’t bothered.

Hope she loses.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Don't know why people call her stupid. She went there for this very reason, to sue them after. She can make a pretty easy money from that. I don't blame her, I blame whole culture of suing everything.

in today's PC culture this probably a sure fire win for her, and all future concerts will be required to have one, and show them on large screen to make it easier to see.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't stop it from being fucking retarded.
    I don't think so. I think it would be fucking retarded not to seek out a way to experience sound, and kind of be like everyone else maybe just for a few hours.

Doesn't stop it from being fucking retarded.
    Reminds me of this time I was on a cruise and I saw there was a group of blind people on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I don't think so. I think it would be fucking retarded not to seek out a way to experience sound, and kind of be like everyone else maybe just for a few hours.
    I dont think it is retarded, just silly to expect an interpreter at a concert.
    Last edited by petej0; 2018-01-24 at 02:18 PM.

Should be completely justifiable within the realms of the law to tell her to fuck up and get over it. Stupid bitch bought a ticket for a music concert, what did she expect? Where is the enjoyment of standing like a sardine in a sea of people enjoying music while you watch someone perform sign language? You couldn't appreciate anything but the atmosphere and the lyrics - borderline pointless.

Perfect example of PC culture gone mad. If she wins this world is totally lost.

Does she suffer from some kind of intellectual disability in addition to being deaf? Why would you go to a concert when deaf?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Does she suffer from some kind of intellectual disability in addition to being deaf? Why would you go to a concert when deaf?
    Deaf people can still experience a concert. They can see the performers, feel the heat, and the music is loud enough to feel it as well. Going to a concert as a deaf person is not per se stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Society, government and businesses don't have to bend every way just to make everything available/accessible for every damn handicap.

It's great if there are options, but people still have a responsibility of their own.

They do in the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    There will always be someone who tries to put some logical spin on what's effectively a ludicrous notion in the name of 'progress'. Where's your common sense, man? People are born with disadvantages and need to learn to accept them for what they are, and not expect the whole world to bend to accommodate them in every scenario. There's always someone worse than you. What's next? Bed-bound hospital patient sues concert for buying ticket yet the event producer didn't organize them a fucking hospital bed stage side?

Metallica never have sign language people standing on the side of the stage hand signalling the Lyrics.

What a stupid women..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    So I am usually the first person to side with people when they are discriminated against, but in this story I find myself at odds with Sally. I get that she is deaf so can't enjoy the music, but that is not the promoters fault. She bought a ticket for a concert, concerts are for people that can hear, its not discriminatory in much the same way that fireworks displays don't have audio descriptions of shapes and colours for blind people.

What do you think?
    This just sounds like a waste of resources, running a court case at the base of a woman not being able to hear the music and basically needs someone to 'tell' her the music with sign language.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..