Poll: Should parents be allowed to Microchip their kids?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    We ignore the international community all the time as do most sovereign nations. We are ruled by the laws of our own land.
    The convention is ratified by the US. Not even mentioning that "we ignore laws all the time" is not a sound argument at all. Edit: I was wrong, misread it. But i'm sure there are domestic laws like these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._r...s_of_the_Child

at like 5?

Yeah, hysteria and paranoia aren't actual arguments, based on conjecture of what some think could happen vs what actually is and does which is kids go missing and this could be a very useful tool for good.
    Funny, seeing how hysteria and paranoia is all you have as arguments supporting your view.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2018-01-29 at 11:13 AM.

The whole point of childhood is doing things in private, otherwise they'll grow up an anti social retard who need supervision for anything they do
    Religion does that already, don't let technology restrict them even more.

Deleted
    at like 5?
    Oh, yes, I know some ppl personally that give such devices at that age to their kids. To be exact, this particular mom+dad gave a tablet to their 2yo child as a Christmas present.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    In Theory it would be a good idea, think about how many children run away from home and never seen again, they could be traced with these chips.

However children have rights and unless they agreed with their parents that it was something they'd like to do then it would be wrong.
    A child is going to do what they are told, and unless some kind of action is going to happen that is proven harmful or unsafe. a Locator chip, is neither of those things and like earrings can be removed later on.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What kind of fucked up person puts a microchip inside another person. No parent worth their salt would wilfully cause harm their own child.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    The convention is ratified by the US. Not even mentioning that "we ignore laws all the time" is not a sound argument at all.
    Funny, seeing how hysteria and paranoia is all you have as arguments supporting your view.
    Oh but it is because you bought it up, these are guidelines that we follow, they are not laws.

A child is going to do what they are told, and unless some kind of action is going to happen that is proven harmful or unsafe. a Locator chip, is neither of those things and like earrings can be removed later on.
    Invasion of privacy. Piercing your childs ears without permission is also fucked up.

You are wrong on so many accords, I don't understand how you can be so willfully ignorant of the world around you.

not a parent, but sure with the condition that soon as the kid is old enough to understand the concept they are told about it, and once 18 its the kids choice to remove it or not. Could save a lot of time on missing kids. Wearing something isn't the same as it can be easily removed or lost.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

No earrings pierce the skin, and go into a child's body, how about circumcision, is junior getting a vote every time that procedure is done, because I guarantee you there is a hell of a lot more that goes on with the body on that one too.

As for the tracking, kids are already tracked and monitored, all this device would do is help in case of an event where a child is kidnapped, they could be found quickly
    And people are already push that boys shouldn’t be circumsised at birth because of my exact point. It’s the one thing that got carried over from tradition and society currently accepts. Doesn’t make it a good reason to allow insertion of tracking devices.

Also

“ According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), every year, more than 200,000 children are abducted by family members. An additional 58,000 are taken by nonrelatives with primarily sexual motives. However, only 115 reported abductions represent cases in which strangers abduct and kill children, hold them for ransom, or take them with the intention to keep.
    source: The FBI - Crimes Against Children Spotlight

That's a total of 258,115 child abductions per year, or a little over 700 per day average. Nearly four out of five are abductions by family members, usually over some disagreement about custody, and less than 1/20th of 1% of child abductions are the kind of criminal stranger abductions people most worry about. It's also worth noting that "About 99 percent were found within hours or days by usual law enforcement response“

You are trying to appeal to the emotion of a problem that doesn’t really exist. Yes for those few kids that are actually kidnapped and can’t be found this may work, but you won’t find me doing it with my kids nor would I ever support laws that allows it.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Invasion of privacy. Piercing your childs ears without permission is also fucked up.

You are wrong on so many accords, I don't understand how you can be so willfully ignorant of the world around you.
    I am aware of the world and reality around.

If you have to chip your kid... you are bad parent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    And people are already push that boys shouldn’t be circumsised at birth because of my exact point. It’s the one thing that got carried over from tradition and society currently accepts. Doesn’t make it a good reason to allow insertion of tracking devices.

Also

“ According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), every year, more than 200,000 children are abducted by family members. An additional 58,000 are taken by nonrelatives with primarily sexual motives. However, only 115 reported abductions represent cases in which strangers abduct and kill children, hold them for ransom, or take them with the intention to keep.
    source: The FBI - Crimes Against Children Spotlight

That's a total of 258,115 child abductions per year, or a little over 700 per day average. Nearly four out of five are abductions by family members, usually over some disagreement about custody, and less than 1/20th of 1% of child abductions are the kind of criminal stranger abductions people most worry about. It's also worth noting that "About 99 percent were found within hours or days by usual law enforcement response“

You are trying to appeal to the emotion of a problem that doesn’t really exist. Yes for those few kids that are actually kidnapped and can’t be found this may work, but you won’t find me doing it with my kids nor would I ever support laws that allows it.
    Yep facts over feelings, you make a compelling argument for chipping

It’s clear you didn’t understand the data linked. Or the context with which to apply it.

That’s fine though. I’ll leave you to your thread. I’ll just state one last time - I say nay.

Have a great day
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

I think we all should be wearing them, as long as the data has strict protection. Not accessible to law enforcement without special permits. The use had to be documented and reviewed by a third party.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    The convention is ratified by the US. Not even mentioning that "we ignore laws all the time" is not a sound argument at all. Edit: I was wrong, misread it. But i'm sure there are domestic laws like these.

The problem is that 'unlawful interference' does not mean parental supervision -

So you say that in 200k cases family members that will know about the surveillance will be able to kidnap the child, but not remove the tracking device (phone/tablet/whatever)? And you want to basically blanket supervise millions of kids for 115 cases? THAT is feelings over facts, and some serious fascist stuff.

As others have mentioned, the chip in the picture is only suitable for near field communication, a GPS tracker would have to be a lot bigger and can't be implanted anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    The problem is that 'unlawful interference' does not mean parental supervision -
    24/7 surveillance without cause IS "arbitrary and unlawful".

Deleted
    Why the microchip? Just give them an iPhone with find my friends function, or you can take photo, record audio, get location coordinates even when the app is in the background, if you can copy paste from github and have developer license.

10+ Year Old Account

Just like circumcision, or choosing their religion for them.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

You are extremely wrong here. Children have rights, and chipping them would be an invasion of privacy.

- - - Updated - - -

That you can't beat children just goes to show that they do have rights. As in, they are not just property.
    My son doesn’t have rights to privacy in reguards to me. And I feel any parents in this day and age who who tries to respect a none adult child’s privacy is doing it waaaay wrong. On topic tho, no I would never chip my kid, more so for the reason that I wouldn’t be the only one with access to it then ethical reasons. Hackers exist and kidnappers would start cutting into kids to find hidden chips if they became a norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    If you have to chip your kid... you are bad parent.
    Harsh but true..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..