Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post

With the fall of Wienstein it is due to get worse. I am not defending the Dbag but he had a finger in almost every good movie made for grownups in the last 30 years.
    Wasn't the only place he had a finger in ...

Im more gonna ask when will hollywood dare to make a female character that isnt a mary sue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want an epic fantasy story, the TV series format is simply a better route for it. One of the problems that fantasy movies have is that not only does it take time to introduce the characters (same as any other movie) but they also have to introduce the world and it's rules, since they are generally different than our own. That leaves precious little time remaining to fit in a satisfying story.

Probably the best route possible for epic fantasy on screen is to have a really good TV series, then movies set in the world that people have already been introduced to by the TV show. I think the superhero genre is really showing the potential of this, with both DC and Marvel having varying degrees of success mixing TV series and movies for people who crave different types of stories in the same universe.

i dont think hollywood really likes fantasy genre outside of marvel and super heroes now

things come and go in cycles, so we might have to wait a little before a new epoch comes out that is worth while to invest in

What about the Dragon Age movies?

DA: Dawn of the Seeker: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1709652/
    or
    DA: Redemption: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1866426/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

If you want a truly brand-new movie not based on anything that has gone before, you might as well resign yourself to never watching another movie. All stories are re-tellings of older stories.

When you look at conflict, there are only 3 types of stories:
    Man vs man;
    Man vs environment;
    Man vs himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Millennials are done already. Nobody cares about Millennials anymore. It's all about Generation Z now. Millennials had their chance. Time for them to step aside now.

That's what I've been told.
    Nah see millennial are finally in the age range that they are no longer teens are most are becoming "model" citizens, thus they aren't fun to whine about anymore. Gen z is now the generation doing typical kid/teenager stuff so the older generations are going to start blaming/whining about them the cycle repeats ad naseum.

Deleted
    What was Warcraft (the movie)??

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    yeah it does, they were using it in a pejorative way, to say other fantasy was unoriginal, i was just pointing out Tolkien wasn't that original either.
    The story line is very original. He did borrow both names and some creatures from other sources but everyone takes settings from previous sources or reality. If you didn't the book would be unreadable.You can not fault someone for using the old elfs any more than you can fault him for using tables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    i dont think hollywood really likes fantasy genre outside of marvel and super heroes now

things come and go in cycles, so we might have to wait a little before a new epoch comes out that is worth while to invest in
    Aren't most of those(dr strange aside) sci fi/action not fantasy?

7+ Year Old Account
    Do the Avatar movies not count as epic fantasy movies?

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Do the Avatar movies not count as epic fantasy movies?
    Not really. It's sci-fi and while it has elements similar to what you could desire to see in epic fantasy, it's not actual epic fantasy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Not really.
    How are the Avatar movies NOT fantasy? No wizards and magic?

Edit:
    Anyone, define what a fantasy movie is if Avatar is not considered a fantasy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    How are the Avatar movies NOT fantasy? No wizards and magic?

Edit:
    Anyone, define what a fantasy movie is if Avatar is not considered a fantasy movie.
    Sci-fi is rooted in the at least somewhat plausible, fantasy is the impossible. Avatar has an original world, but it does not really have the type of setting, story or characters you'd be looking for in what people are looking for in fantasy, especially epic fantasy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Sci-fi is rooted in the at least somewhat plausible, fantasy is the impossible. Avatar has an original world, but it does not really have the type of setting, story or characters you'd be looking for in what people are looking for in fantasy, especially epic fantasy.
    You say "you'd be looking for" but you should have said "I'd be looking for". The environment, story, and characters of Avatar all fit, very well, into my expectations of what makes an epic fantasy.

The definition for fantasy is fairly broad:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

Edit:
    So reading a few different pages, seems I'm off here. Most people, or at least most of the sources i just quickly skimmed through, seem to use "epic fantasy" and "high fantasy" interchangeably. Avatar is definitely not an epic fantasy in the sense of high fantasy.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2018-02-01 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw leave those to TV series that have a lot more time to flesh out stories.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

They are mostly interchangeable: if there is a difference, people don't seem to agree on what it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscadaver View Post
    A giant steaming pile of Tauren dung.

Quote Originally Posted by chriscadaver View Post
    An abortion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    There are fantasy worlds that could probably sell. I think Dragonlance trilogy would easily sell...
    D&D settings are lame material for movies. There are 3 generic D&D and one Dragonlance movie, and they didn't sell.
    ...modern Hollywood would rightfully get epic triggering from Jordan's unbearable misogyny
    We are probably getting WoT soon. Also, I would say it is misandristic, not misogynistic (and Jordan was probably a latent gay). The entire series are plainly stupid, boring and unrealistic, though.

Fantasy is not popular among adults. GoT is a meme, and its success won't be reproduced.

I liked the Warcraft movie, but the fact that it didn't do that well is probably another big reason for why Hollywood won't be trying to do another big epic fantasy movie in the immediate future. Fact of the matter is, outside Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and a few Narnia movies, all other attempts have gone awry. Some believe Lord of the Rings being as big a success as it was kind of scared studios away, since everything would just be compared to them, and it seems like they were right; it was ridiculous how many people compared, and heck, still does compare, Warcraft to Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I meant a fantasy for the Millennial generation!

So swords, sorcery, participation trophies and blaming everything on your parents?