Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    So decision making process would be like

Even that would be more precise than economics
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I really dont see what the problem is. Cant u guys just trade with other nations not in the EU? What did you do b4 the EU formed?
    is a problem because EU likes to trade with others too. so EU has usually a trade agreement with them in place and now UK wants- as a single economy- the same or a better deal than a trade block representing some of the top 5 economies (and all top 5 are ahead of UK) in the world ?
    now guess what will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I really dont see what the problem is. Cant u guys just trade with other nations not in the EU? What did you do b4 the EU formed?
    The EEC was created in 1957 and the UK joined in 1973. You cannot compare what trade was in 1973 and what it is in 2018. The UK has dropped a big chunk of its manufacturing sector and has mostly shifted to services (financial or otherwise). It also relies on mainland EU for food and energy.
    Of course the UK could just trade with other nations but why would you import goods (food, cars etc.) from the America, Australia or Asia when you could get it across the channel? It saves transport costs and the quality is good.
    The EU and the UK do not want to stop trading, but the UK wants to leave the EU so there's a puzzle to solve now.
    That puzzle does not only revolve around trade, but also all the aspects the EU was dealing with (security, justice, human rights regulation in most sectors ...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This lazer focus on tariffs is pointless. Tariffs are not the main barrier to trade, regulations are.
    Agreed on the tariffs.
    Are regulations such a huge burden though ? If you're a country whose main activity is making cheap and crappy products then yes, it is. For the EU and UK, having the highest quality/standard products and services should be a selling point, not a barrier?

I'm strongly for staying,

but I'm not going to give a article written by buzzfeed the time of day. They are awful for taking reports and twisting it to suit them, or taking out small points which supports what they want, while ignoring the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

but I'm not going to give a article written by buzzfeed the time of day. They are awful for taking reports and twisting it to suit them, or taking out small points which supports what they want, while ignoring the rest.
    That's how you fight Mirror's articles

Products must still meet the regulations on the state of the buyer. And assurance of conformance is an involved procedure requiring multiple points of testing. Trade agreements usually set up common goals in conformance and allow testing and assurance from the exporting country to be admissible for import, significantly reducing the non-tariff cost of import and greatly decreasing the time spent processing (you still need to present the assurance paperwork ofc but that can be done swiftly and you don't have inventory sitting in a warehouse while testing is done locally).
    It doesn't matter if your products are the best if it takes time to prove it

You can form agreements for every little thing and have very little friction in trade (customs will still have to exist of course and clearing will be slower and might require some additional warehousing, where as now it just transitions between states readily). But this takes time. And of course also requires someone to actually start writing such agreements instead of just pontificating about them.

And financial services, particularly currency clearing, are a completely different issue altogether.
    That's probably quite painful to deal with. Especially for smaller businesses with low volumes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    EDIT: It is also worth pointing out. a huge huge amount of stuff said by the remoaners has turned out to be completely false such as market crashes etc.. the same with Trumplestiltskin.. people (see experts.. the people who should know this shit) predicted huge crashes etc and all that Jazz after Trump.. none of it came true.
    Only if you are functionally blind can you possibly believe this shit. The pound dropped immediately after the vote, it is still down against every major currency compared to what it was before the vote.

The second, and most important problem with your little bullshittery right there: WE HAVE NOT LEFT YET.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Britain will be better off in the long run. Who cares if the pound drops momentarily? Honestly what is that supposed to prove?

15+ Year Old Account
    UK leaving EU would suck for me as I often buy stuff from UK through Ebay (and sometimes, but rarely, Amazon). It's tax free.
    But it would also suck for UK as a lot of people in EU are like me. And most people like me will turn to German Ebay which is almost as big.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Britain will be better off in the long run. Who cares if the pound drops momentarily? Honestly what is that supposed to prove?
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    UK leaving EU would suck for me as I often buy stuff from UK through Ebay (and sometimes, but rarely, Amazon). It's tax free.
    But it would also suck for UK as a lot of people in EU are like me. And most people like me will turn to German Ebay which is almost as big.
    Leaving the customs union, which looks as though it is going to be happening, means that everything that goes through UK customs will increase in price. If I buy something from Europe it will cost more. Fees for stuff from the US are ridiculous enough already but having to pay customs fees and import duty on everything else as well?

Yeah, fucking great job.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2018-02-06 at 09:12 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Leaving the customs union, which looks as though it is going to be happening, means that everything that goes through UK customs will increase in price. If I buy something from Europe it will cost more. Fees for stuff from the US are ridiculous enough already but having to pay customs fees and import duty on everything else as well?

Yeah, fucking great job.
    In Sweden, e-commerce from China has exploded. The postal services has answered by tacking on a huge free from all packets originating from China. One does not need to be outside of the union to get screwed over.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    That's how you fight Mirror's articles
    Literally just smoke and mirrors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post

Yeah, fucking great job.
    The Facebook spam about Chinese clothing stores happens here as well, and the Customs Office is equally fierce. :P

Deleted
    Yeah, if i want in depth analysis of one the biggest socio-political events of my generation i'm not going to an ultra-partisan publication of low-T soy boys.

Deleted
    Eh, the issue here is your postal service, not the Single market though.
    Tariffs and import duties are set by your government now. Not the EU.

EDIT: It is also worth pointing out. a huge huge amount of stuff said by the remoaners has turned out to be completely false such as market crashes etc..
    For some reason, whenever I see someone use the term "remoaners", I actually think he's an utter imbecile. It's not insulting enough to actually bother anyone, it's not witty enough to be funny, and it's really not descriptive of the attitude of people that voted remain or are arguing for it.

It's like a village idiot's first attempt at insulting someone. Cute, but try again. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    In Sweden, e-commerce from China has exploded. The postal services has answered by tacking on a huge free from all packets originating from China. One does not need to be outside of the union to get screwed over.
    It's capitalism for you.
    We're not allowed to have cheap stuff. If they can earn money from it, they will.
    It's the same with crypto currency. We just can't have anything nice without the government trying to take a big chunk of it.
    And meanwhile you're supposed to gain your 2% pay increase every year and be thankful for it. While everything else increase equally, rent, food, gas, etc, leaving you with in the best case scenario as much money as you had before, but probably with even less.

Well, FUCK THEM.
    Man, fuck this world. Fuck the government, fuck the politicians, fuck their system, fuck it all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    It's capitalism for you.
    We're not allowed to have cheap stuff. If they can earn money from it, they will.
    It's the same with crypto currency. We just can't have anything nice without the government trying to take a big chunk of it.
    And meanwhile you're supposed to gain your 2% pay increase every year and be thankful for it. While everything else increase equally, rent, food, gas, etc, leaving you with in the best case scenario as much money as you had before, but probably with even less.

Well, FUCK THEM.
    Man, fuck this world. Fuck the government, fuck the politicians, fuck their system, fuck it all.
    I hear you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    For some reason, whenever I see someone use the term "remoaners", I actually think he's an utter imbecile. It's not insulting enough to actually bother anyone, it's not witty enough to be funny, and it's really not descriptive of the attitude of people that voted remain or are arguing for it.

It's like a village idiot's first attempt at insulting someone. Cute, but try again. :P
    It's no different than their attempts to paint every leave voter as a racist bigot. each side has their barbs for one another and nicknames.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Tariffs and import duties are set by your government now. Not the EU.
    .... context?

What are you trying to tell us?
    Who is "you", what government are you talking about.
    What is is your point?

It's no different than their attempts to paint every leave voter as a racist bigot. each side has their barbs for one another and nicknames.
    Well, the argument that they voted Brexit to keep Polish workers out of the UK is pretty racist. And it's also one of the oldest arguments of racists (they steal our jobs!). Apart from that, I think the general sentiment is that Brexiteers are shortsighted or misled, rather than racist bigots.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.