Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Perhaps she's just a greedy bitch and doesn't want to share because her ticket was part of a larger pool? I'd bet money on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the United States. Where you can purchase a ticket anonymously, but if you win you have to declare who you are, you know for things like taxation.

You don't see how allowing people to collect the lottery anonymously could lead to illegal activity... I dunno... like... money laundering?
    If the money was to be split with other ticket holders the lottery guys would do that. And as to the taxes the money is taxed up front before getting it so that is also not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    If the money was to be split with other ticket holders the lottery guys would do that. And as to the taxes the money is taxed up front before getting it so that is also not true.
    Nope and nope.

Lottery ticket winnings are awarded to a specific person/entity NOT a group of people.

Taxes are withheld like payroll taxes, and the winnings are added to persons income for that year. Essentially if a person had the right deductions they could stand to get some of that money back.

I ran our office's pool for several months. I looked it up. A way around that is to set up a trust, and have each contributing a member and partial owner of that trust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No, because it's not the anonymously that you are thinking of. The IRS gets a special form from the lottery with exactly who and what received the monies, regardless of whether the winners ID is kept private or not.
    Ya I was unclear as to who she wanted to remain anonymous from. (hasty reading *2 hand slaps*)

I read it as though she just wanted to pick up a bag of cash no questions asked, and didn't want her name on said form "Sorry sweetheart that isn't how this game works!"
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2018-02-08 at 01:03 AM.

Deleted
    Offer them a deal to only collect half your price money as payment for staying anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    In the US, most lotteries are run by the state, so it is taxpayer money.
    By far the most countries in the world have a government monopoly on lotteries. But there is still no connection between that and making a winner's name public, only the government needs to know who and how much someone has won.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's understandable why she wouldn't want her name made public. When everyone knows you have hundreds of millions of dollars, you are harassed daily, non stop, by everyone and everything. You start having relatives show up you didn't even know existed. Scam callers ring you constantly no matter how many new phones you get. People who have won the lottery have complained about this, and their privacy is a serious issue.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    I'd happily take the money then move to another country. I'd delete my whole online presence first though so people couldn't get a hold of me. I'd only tell close friends and family where I would stay and fly them out occasionally.

I would not under any circumstances tell people I was very wealthy. Way too many predatory a-holes out there and people wanting to make a quick buck out of scamming you.
    I wouldn't hide my wealth per say, I'd just tell people I had a (generous) trust fund but with limited amount of cash I could withdraw every month or that I owned an online business.

I'd also go by a fake name in my new country.

I would be very happy with such an arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    What would you have done in this case?
    I wasn't born yesterday and I know to put the money in a trust so I would have done that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the United States. Where you can purchase a ticket anonymously, but if you win you have to declare who you are, you know for things like taxation.

You don't see how allowing people to collect the lottery anonymously could lead to illegal activity... I dunno... like... money laundering?
    In the civilized world, taxes are paid by the lottery company at the same time as the money transfers to the winner. Just like the prices for everything here include taxes.

There's also a big difference between the lottery company, government or a bank knowing your identity when winning in the lottery vs. the whole world knowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ya I was unclear as to who she wanted to remain anonymous from. (hasty reading *2 hand slaps*)

I read it as though she just wanted to pick up a bag of cash no questions asked, and didn't want her name on said form "Sorry sweetheart that isn't how this game works!"
    Lol, I've done that way too many times myself. I usually take a 5-minute timeout in the corner.

Would be cool if that were an option, but all your reasons would kick in, and they would be very valid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    In the civilized world, taxes are paid by the lottery company at the same time as the money transfers to the winner. Just like the prices for everything here include taxes.

There's also a big difference between the lottery company, government or a bank knowing your identity when winning in the lottery vs. the whole world knowing it.
    Great we've already established that those of you weighing in from the EU don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about in regards to American lotteries.

Its a cash transaction (meaning no record of who actually bought it). So to collect, you HAVE to give your personal information. I was under the impression she didn't want to give out the information at THAT point... instead she simply doesn't want her information (which she has already given) to be made public.

Second, those taxes are collected like payroll taxes, and that person can technically speaking, potentially get that back when they file their tax return.

There is zero feasible reason that winners need to be made public. Those individuals will still need to pay taxes, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Here lotteries like this are run by the state so it's a matter of public dollars. You need to disclose exactly where money is going.
    Government and Public are two very different things though.

Im sorry i haven't read the OP.

But whats the problem with making yourself publicly known? Surely, the money won brings more good than bad. There are many rich people, way richer - that everyone knows about.

10+ Year Old Account
    So your name would be made public, big deal. I don't see a problem. Just because people call, dosn't mean you have to pick up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    Im sorry i haven't read the OP.

But whats the problem with making yourself publicly known? Surely, the money won brings more good than bad. There are many rich people, way richer - that everyone knows about.
    Because not everybody wants a media frenzy around them 24 7

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great we've already established that those of you weighing in from the EU don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about in regards to American lotteries.

Its a cash transaction (meaning no record of who actually bought it). So to collect, you HAVE to give your personal information. I was under the impression she didn't want to give out the information at THAT point... instead she simply doesn't want her information (which she has already given) to be made public.

Second, those taxes are collected like payroll taxes, and that person can technically speaking, potentially get that back when they file their tax return.
    I wonder if the tax implications are difference for Trusts in this particular case, regarding lottery winnings. I'm not suggesting that's why she's doing it, just curious if it would make a difference in the long run.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

ok, you did explain US lottery now.
    Look, in germany government taxes the lottery corporation on the sales: 20 % and done. no additional taxes on the winnings, it is NOT a taxable income. government still knows who wins the bigger ranks, some of german states will not pay without identification starting at 1k, some at 8k.
    Heck, with online lotto they even know my little 8,20 € win some weeks ago.

Perhaps USA would also relax more if you would let the winners cash in without taxes. lower the jackpot by some percentage perhaps, but everything in it goes free to the winner and no further questions asked.

She's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    "People won't take the time to help me get geared"
    then
    "I'm too busy to get geared, I don't have the time to spare"

The irony of making such an idiotic statement in a condescending tone is pretty sweet. There is a big difference between the government knowing what you've earned and them broadcasting it publicly.

OT: it's pure dickishness on the part of the state to say she's not allowed to assign it to a trust because she signed something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The irony of making such an idiotic statement in a condescending tone is pretty sweet. There is a big difference between the government knowing what you've earned and them broadcasting it publicly.

OT: it's pure dickishness on the part of the state to say she's not allowed to assign it to a trust because she signed something.
    I'm just going to delete that comment. I read it as she wanted to collect the money with just a face and a winning ticket, no name or ID, nothing. That she wanted to remain anonymous to everyone... not just the public.